Tunze Protein Skimmer 9010

Eudaceous

bro Eudaceuos,

you should know what is wrong with your skimmer. no need to hide it. if i were you i would better pay a little bit more to get a reliable skimmer, deltec hang on.

i already mentioned the weakness of 9010, WET SKIMMER! and its proven. 9015 and 9020, both can do dry but have not proven good skimmers.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
bro Eudaceuos,

you should know what is wrong with your skimmer. no need to hide it. if i were you i would better pay a little bit more to get a reliable skimmer, deltec hang on.

i already mentioned the weakness of 9010, WET SKIMMER! and its proven. 9015 and 9020, both can do dry but have not proven good skimmers.

Hi there, like everyone else I'm very interested in the review here and would like to thank Eudaceous for the effort in providing us with pics so that we can see for ourselves the performance of the skimmer.

Salmon11; I don't think Euda is trying to conn/hide info from us regarding the performance of 9010. If you have proof that Euda is trying to do that, please enlighten us. I don't know Euda but I think he's trying to help the community here by sharing his "user experience" of the 9010 thats all. I read the thread and I dont see him trying to sell any tunze stuff here.

Just by saying that 9010 is a "bad" skimmer becoz it is a "wet" skimmer doesn't cut it for me. Do you have a 9010? Is there any study that wet skimming is not as good as dry skimming?

Its like someone who never sat on a ferarri saying that its a "lousy" car becoz its red.. or whatever...

I think at the end of the day any criticism here should be constructive and backed with solid facts. I see Euda doing this with pics which we all can see.

What do you have? :huh:

ok, should i have to buy the product that even the agent advice me me not to buy? why don't you buy and proof to us that 9010 is good skimmer bro lobster.

do you like wet skimmer? why don't you try the very economically product which is JEBO( the smallest hang on series) , guarantee you will skim as wet as tunze 9010.

i use becket

ok, should i have to buy the product that even the agent advice me me not to buy? why don't you buy and proof to us that 9010 is good skimmer bro lobster.

do you like wet skimmer? why don't you try the very economically product which is JEBO( the smallest hang on series) , guarantee you will skim as wet as tunze 9010.

i use becket

Which agent are you refering to - there are a few in Singapore? Do they have the skimmer in their store? In operation? Who do you trust - retailers or independent review by reefers?

• SRC Member

i use becket

oh? now more information come out from you..... so your advice to all of us that Tunze 9010 is a failure is becoz an agent told you.

Now I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, I'm here becoz I'm interested in the 9010 and keen to see how it is performing in Euda's tank and btw we're not discussing Jebo, we're discussing Tunze.

You shouldn't be "economical" with the truth/opinion; if you say Tunze is a failure; then tell us everything and not just make empty statement(s) without proof.

I may not represent many other pple who follow this thread; but who cares if you run becket? Seriously I'm not comparing with you; I just want to read about Euda's and other users' "user experience" with the 9010. Stick to the topic.

No doubt you'll reply to this; but sadly I find this is getting nowhere (with you); I made my point and this conversation is over.

All apologies to Euda; hijacked your thread for abit :pirate:

bro Eudaceuos,

salmon - thats a harsh statement !! r u implying that skimmers that skims wet r no good ?? <_<

bro euda is merely sharing his view on the skimmer ... skimmate has something to do with the water condition ..im sure the skimmate would be diffrent for diffrent tanks :whistle

• SRC Member

Dear All,

Thank you for all the feedback - good and bad. Yes I think we can be rational about performance of the Tunze as always there is evidence to support (if one choose to bring them up). This is my two cents worth

1) Wet and Dry skimming

I am still not very sure on which is better. From what I know wet skimming takes out more gunk than dry skimming. I know this is contentious but again please browse reefcentral.com for evidence on this. Many European and American reefers like wet skimming. Yes I may admit you will not get Kopi-O but the types of byproducts that get lifted in wet skimming is tremendous - trace meals, cellulose, waste, dissolved organic compounds (DOC) etc...goes on. Dry skiming lifts only a certain type of waste..which can also be lifted by wet skimming. Wet skimming breaks down water surface tension better and once you funnel it over a good pump, nedlewheel you get better bubbles and by products lift-up into collection cup.

2) Colour of Skimmate

Yes I know the darker the skimmate the better it seems the skimmer is working. But is there more evidence that just Milo not good, Kopi O better debate? On the Tunze I get 200 ml of skimmate evry 3 days... really imprsessive.. I get super foaming the minute I stop feeding...this shows how responsive it is...

3) Issue of Jebo vs Tunze

This is an interesting debate as to whether one can compare the two. But I can cos I had used both. One cost me $45 while the other $495. Fiirstly on the Jebo, it skimms in a stupid way. Even when you dose calcium supplements, coral food, it gets skimmed... With the Tunze it sort of knows that this thing is passable.. If you read Vitko's thread in reefcentral.com, you will know that the Tunze is known for its open recirculation and is completely plankton safe. (See earlier posting for Vitko's URL remark). Secondly the bubble size and quality... I get bubbles as small as 2 mm and big as 6mm... all over over a height of 4 inches in the Tunze chamber. i only get a constant 3 mm buble size over 1 inch in the Jebo..Mind you my Jebo is the biggest in production...(This is before I upgraded it to a Weipro 2015).. Thirdly the quantity of skimmate.. Altough both are wet skimmers, one is super productive,, spilling like what I say 200 ml of gunk every 3-4 days, while the other simply pans out after 4 days... it produces a constant 50 ml maximum after the one week breakin period.

4) Issue of cost...

You must remember I like the Deltec APF600 first before the tunze. But paying $800 + for the skimmer and without pump i too much for me. The Tunze 9010 is about half that. If I can get the tunze to be 80% of the Deltec, than the price - efficiency ratio makes sense...Similarly..If my $500 Tunze matches a Weipro $45 in terms of performance than I guess it makes sense to really turn the tunze 9010 into 'scrap plastic'..But So far (its only been 3 weeks..and throughout its running, its on wet skimming, coz I love wet skimming and I am also an OZoniser...) My NO3 readings have been 2-5 ppm...I am really happy. In the past with my Weipros it was 25 ppm...on my Jebo a whopping 60 ppm... This I feel is the true test of a skimmer...how much of a nitrate reducer it is, if all things being equal... water changes, etc

5) Personal Preference..

I dont mind spending money on good products. But I guess as Singaporeans we always have the mental model of a herd mentality. If someone says dry skiming is better..we would go ahead with it.. I know of people who run tanks on quad-becketts and super dry skimming and couldnt even egt Nitrates to go below 10 ppm..This I feel dont make sense. The test of a pudding is really in the taste. The test of the skimmer is really on how well it skims relative to other issue like cost, space size, wattage (operating costs) etc. I like the Deltec alot but like what I say the price - efficiency ratio doesnt work for me. The Tunze on all honesty is a remarkable product of engineering in the $500 bracket. It does a good job in skimming. I get good end result. It does better than the Weipro by more than ten times. and of coz no comparison with the Jebo.

6) Conclusion

I know of an old LFS who has been reefing for 25 years..he is at Bukit Purmei. Check out his display tank. it is simply powered by two 2012 weipro.. His pratas open a whopping 9 inches and the water is crystal clear...you can also see a beautiful tank at Jireh Aquarium in Ginza plaza...but he spent $7000 on a micro-computer controller that monitors his PH, CA, Mg, KH, PO4 etc...The entire 4 feeter costs in excess of $25000...This is nuts..Yes I know there are reefers here who have big pockets...Also there are some who dont earn the money - they get it from their hardworking parents..For me, each dollar spent must be well calculated, research and I like to believe I make good purchases and get good performance in return. This is part of marine reefing that excites me..

I also believe that expensive things may not always be good while cheap also may not be always efficient. Somewhere in the middle we have to make up our minds. Vendors, agents and LFS owners will give us all the necessary crap on certain product. As a reefer I just want to contribute my share on as much 'objective' reviews as I can..In fact I really enjoy doing this. And I appreciate all comments - positive and negative.. The verdict you decide, for yourself. But for me I dont think the Tunze 9010 is a failure, I am VERY happy with my purchase. Over to you brother. Euda Out!

• SRC Member

it being a wet skimmer does not mean it is a failure.

just like if you don't know how to cook, no one is going to call you a failure, as long as you are able to fulfil your other obligations.

i hope you understand that your statement of it being a failure is very extreme. this kind of comments is seldom tolerated in src, unless you very strong information that proves it, ie, not some hearsay or personal opinion.

we def do appreciate you coming out to share your thoughts, but you have done it in a way too extreme for us to swallow. hope you can understand. cheers.

bro Eudaceuos,

Your statements are totally unfounded.

Why is wet skimmate inferior to dry skimmate?

I don't own a Tunze skimmer but please refrain from posting unsubstantiated remarks. <_<

• SRC Member

bro Eudaceous product review is fair enough, $$$ vs performace.

bro salmon11, support the below with facts pls, like wat bro Eudaceous done.

$$$ Vs performace. and dun juz use the term "wet skimmate" as and when u

like. support with values and test cases pls. else every1 here will see u as

toking c0ck :evil: not very good for ur reputation :P

ayoo, i earned nuthin from this thread lah. After i read this tread for the first time; i would like to get Tunze 9010 my smaller Tank and omit my option for aqua c remore pro. But after i do more research on the net, then i come out 9010 will never skim dry no matter how you adjust or your tank condition.That because the collection cup is smaller. And 9015 is the ideal collection cup size to let more air intake in the process so that skimming become less wet or dryer.

American and European do like good skimmer!, they will throw their money on deltec, MRC, precision, aquac pro and european will throw on buble king, h&s. All of these skimmers perform both "WET and DRY". skim. Only "CHEAP" skimmer perform wet skim only.

You such a good lier, you only use 9010 for three weeks and your nitrate drop to 2-5 ppm from 25ppm. From your picture, from the way you set the tank i guarantee Your nitrate will be the lowest at 12.5 ppm

ciaoo dude

My NO3 readings have been 2-5 ppm...I am really happy. In the past with my Weipros it was 25 ppm...on my Jebo a whopping 60 ppm... This I feel is the true test of a skimmer...how much of a nitrate reducer it is, if all things being equal... water changes, etc

This is the true test of the protein skimmer.

Since it has helped to maintain eudaceous's tank at very low nutrient levels, I guess that answers all the doubters.

ayoo, i earned nuthin from this thread lah. After i read this tread for the first time; i would like to get Tunze 9010 my smaller Tank and omit my option for aqua c remore pro. But after i do more research on the net, then i come out 9010 will never skim dry no matter how you adjust or your tank condition.That because the collection cup is smaller. And 9015 is the ideal collection cup size to let more air intake in the process so that skimming become less wet or dryer.

American and European do like good skimmer!, they will throw their money on deltec, MRC, precision, aquac pro and european will throw on buble king, h&s. All of these skimmers perform both "WET and DRY". skim. Only "CHEAP" skimmer perform wet skim only.

You such a good lier, you only use 9010 for three weeks and your nitrate drop to 2-5 ppm from 25ppm. From your picture, from the way you set the tank i guarantee Your nitrate will be the lowest at 12.5 ppm

ciaoo dude

Now your shooting from the hip has crossed to outright accusations without any grounding in facts.

We are here to share information, not to incite verbal battles.

I think the mods ought to take a close look at this thread. :whistle

honkit, where is the proof nitrate low ? don't just talking nonsense. test and let us know. or do you want me to come over to your place and do the testing?

LOL.

You don't comprehend English too well, do you? :lol:

It's eudaceous's tank that is being skimmed by a Tunze skimmer, not mine!

The only one yakking nonsense here is you!!

• SRC Member
But after i do more research on the net, then i come out 9010 will never skim dry no matter how you adjust or your tank condition.That because the collection cup is smaller. And 9015 is the ideal collection cup size to let more air intake in the process so that skimming become less wet or dryer.

Hi bro salmon, with all due respects lets get the facts straight

9010 - collection cup size is 0.7l, Air intake 650l.h, water throughput 1200 l/h

9015 - collection cup size is 1.4l, Air intake 650 l/h, water throughput 1200 l/h

(facts from Tunze.com)

How can it be then that because of a different collection cup, one can do dry and wet while the 9010 can only do wet skimming?. Also the collection cup DOES NOT allow more air in... It is the nipple at the 21W pump (similar for both 9010, 9015) and the magnets and impeller that draws in the air..Even the length of the reaction chamber is the same..for both models. So how can you make such an assertion?

BTW I am glad that you at least learn something form this thread. But from what I see, you COMPLETELY trust the words from your dealer and LFS. Let me get things straight here. Dealers, Vendors, LFS are mostly out to make money. Yes they need you to buy the products which they can mark up the most. They DONT care whether the products work or not. They dont care if your pratas can open up, or your elegant coral remains its green shine. They only care about $$$$$$$. Even the agent for Tunze can say such thing is surprising from my point of view coz he may want to sell you stuff that he can make more commission from...(basic entreprenuership to me)

I am saddenned that you think I am lying about nitrate levels and so on. I started this thread in the hope that I can provide useful, objective views about the capabilities and yes LIMITATIONS of this skimmer to all of us. This in turn would make others also provide the reefing community with such information on other products so we would not be HOSTAGES to vendors and agents like what you have become it seemed.

Lastly I openly invite you over to my house to test my Nitrate level. I will bet you that it would remain low about 2-5 or even nil. But again I want to let you know it is not the skimmer that reduced it to this level. I have an Aquamedic Denitrator, UV, Ozoniser, DSB cultured with Denitrimax and I do a 40% water change monthly. Also my tank has been cycling for about two months before I nitroduced any LS in. It is these other things and the skimmer that contibute to the state of my tank. (not just the skimmer alone). I would not lie about that. I would not lie by saying IT IS THE SKIMMER that made the Nitrate levels at 2-5 ppm. Yes I would also admit that on my weipros at times I can get a 10 ppm reading...but the frustration with it, is that over 2 weeks I get my nitrate building up very fast into the 30-40 ppm range. My pratas, elegant corals start to close up. But with the tunze 9010, I can get a constant reading so far.

I leave it to the reefing community to judge my words and what I say, but from what it seem you seemed to have a fixated mental model on wet and dry skimming and I had tried to give you the satistics that both 9010 and 9015 do almost the same thing...Lastly you should spend less time believing your dealers, vendors but more on us, people who work hard, reef and pay good money to support our hobbies. We are our best providers of information. We dont benefit in any financial way in providing any information, and through our mistakes and successes we learn from each other. I hope you can see the light in that.

Yours Sincerely,

Eudaceous

To your question,

be honest, i also love wet skim sometimes. who don't? crystal clear water in your tank!. And it is even clearer if we o3 our tank! But right now i have not use o3 yet. anyway, i usually run wet skim for 7- 14 days in a month and the rest i run dry skim. so that's how i maintain my tank.

Euda already mention the differences of wet skim does and dry skim does. Summary: wet skim pulls many thing and little water and dry skim pulls certain thing and a little bit of water.

the little water pulled from the wet skim might contains calcium, trace elements, etc. well, this is not a big issue, we can add additives in replaced. And from dry skim is less additives elements wasted.

anyway, there is nuthin wrong by being wet skim and dry skim,just like i mention before, i do BOTH. i hope you all agree with me.

I just like a skimmer that can perform wet and dry system, it is so much fun...............................