Tunze Protein Skimmer 9010

Eudaceous

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

if it looks clean .. it's because I just cleaned it when I changed the water :D

Seriously .. if not for the footprint .. I'd NOT get this skimmer .. I'd gotten the cheaper needlewheel skimmer from Aquamarine .. only 1/5 the price (got a good deal from nelson as it was the last piece)

Again if you ignore salmon11's shushing people and such .. he does have a point ..

NOTE AGAIN .. I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE OF THE FOOTPRINT .. as you can see from the picts .. very cramp conditions .. also my hobby is spend money :yeah::yeah:

:D

Happy New Year

post-14-1136020647.jpg

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member
if it looks clean .. it's because I just cleaned it when I changed the water :D

Seriously .. if not for the footprint .. I'd NOT get this skimmer .. I'd gotten the cheaper needlewheel skimmer from Aquamarine .. only 1/5 the price (got a good deal from nelson as it was the last piece)

Again if you ignore salmon11's shushing people and such .. he does have a point ..

NOTE AGAIN .. I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE OF THE FOOTPRINT .. as you can see from the picts .. very cramp conditions .. also my hobby is spend money :yeah::yeah:

:D

Happy New Year

Hmm..i agreed wif u....this skimmer is ideal for the small size.....footprint...

but don know how "table" is this product... i mean from the Company...Tunze...

I intend to get the bigger model.. however i tried to check out with PR and was told that Tunze have some "problems.....with continuing the production...

they never elaborate more.....

and i end up getting other skimmer...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Hello Guys, I am back from Korea. Phew things are really cold there. Been experiencing temperatures right down to minus eight.. Great Fun. Really needed the break before the year starts again. I hope all of you had time to recharge and rejuvenate and sincerely I wish all a blessed New Year.. Cheers! :P

On this thread, I have gone through all posts since I am gone. There are issues I realise that I will answer over time based on my own experience of using my 9010 for my 160 gal tank. I will from now on post pics and observation of the tunze working and genuine issues raised by the community who want to know more of the Tunze 9010.

So far I am satisfied with my Tunze 9010. I have a high bioload tank with a high volume of water. It skimms well and produces about 200 ml of gunk every 4 days. Water clarity is superb and my LS are doing well. The pictures you see are taken today and water water parameters are as follows.

NO3 7.5 :lol:

N02 nil

KH 11.7

Temp 25.2

ORP (394 mv - It has never reached this high before) ;)

Ca (280 low coz CA reactor is sent to Joe P for repairs)

If you are keen to see my tank, test my water, dismantle the Tunze 90101 please call me up at 96215070. I stay at Gillman Heights, near Queensway, Ikea. However even if you come and test and inspect my reef, I still would not want to be responsible should you choose to buy one and not get the results that I do. :paiseh:

I can only speak for my tank, my LS and the 1 ton aquarium thats sitting in my dining room. Again I like to reiterate that I am a hobbyist like all of us, who feels the pinch in spending money on equipments, and by no means am I getting paid in any form for this service that I do for all. :upsidedown:

(Sincerely, I like to have sincere hobbyist down my place...we can talk fish.. :) )

post-14-1136171884.jpg

• SRC Member

The collection cup cap... Skimmer been running for slightly more than one month. Never cleaned the cup or cap. As can be seen aboev skimmate is light brown...Also my ORP is 394..Tank is super clear and Ozone has been cut off. Think it has reached saturation? Not too sure either.

post-14-1136171943.jpg

• SRC Member

It looks milo here cause of my flash and the bounce. Here is the Tunze pluuged in. You can see the difference between mine and gunzo's 9015..The bubbles have to travel higher for gunzo's....and I guess it must produce lots of bubbles in the first place for it to go higher...Hope you get better skimmate friend. Please post updates.

post-14-1136172180.jpg

• SRC Member

Eudaceous

bro .. I noticed mine skims funny (maybe because I have a lower bioload??)

it'll go crazy for about 1/2 day every 2 days or so .. and leave a light colored deposit in the cup (about 200cc).. after that the bubbles never climb above 1cm inside the cup ?!?! :blink:

same thing happens after I changed water .. hmm .. maybe the DOC not high enough to produce foam for a few days :erm:

Anyway .. now fighting BAD PO4 and nitrate levels .. :sick:

going to look for a good denitrator liao ..

3x1.5x2 tank

1 big fish

2 medium fish (1 algae blenny food fiesta now)

8 small fishes

3 big shrimps

2 small shrimps

+ multiple funny things crawling to clean the tank :P

maybe a redesign of my sump is in order ..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

wonder if a 9005 can produce similar result :P

my aquaC urchin can produce dark color skimmate on the whole neck after 3 weeks..after I change pump to Rio10 (the rcommended maxijet1200 just can't do the job).... but bubble size looks big to me.. > 0.5mm ... not sure if it is doing a good job... should I spend another 300++++ to try out 9005.... :( ....

unless the same result can achieve in 1 week or less.. ;)

i have been busy lately. i bought a marco AS 350p a month ago, hang one venturi.. i use resun 2600 sp. it is ok. a cheap skimmer that can dial wet and dry skim but the only thing that trouble me a is the skimmer will react to water level changes. And another weakness from this product is will never have thick MUD on the neck of the collection cup. this is just like tunze.

gunzo. man your sump is so small and the water level is a bit high. that makes your tunze look like piece of crap. i think you need to adjust your position of your tunzee, lift a little bit up. i also see that your skimmer compartment does not maintain a constant water level.

so i think you better check it

about your nitrate, hmm.. what can i say...... weipro somehow better???

anyway, i orderi order H&S ap 150, external. will report to you gunzo.

by the way, how is the new needlewhell skimmer?

A skimmer can only be the most efficient if it is cleaned out daily. That's what I do for my weipro, I scrub the inner neck clean every day. Each day I empty about 1/4 a cup of skimmate (coffee with milk?). If you cleaned the Tunze collection cup daily I'm sure you will see greater efficiency too.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

that is tottaly wrong fuel for this case. tunze is a wet skimmer, you need to do sumething to compensate its weakness. my suggestion is not to clean the neck of the collection. the dirty neck of the collection cup will cause sediment to pile up then the pile up sediment will help to skimmer to skim better. And of course the water in the collection cup must be clear up.

gunzo, if you listened to me last time not to buy tunze skimmer then you will not have this kinda problem. well, i think you have a big pile of money anyway... hehe..

Try cleaning the neck daily using tapwater or your tank water. You'll be surprised. :whistle The function of the column is for foam to rise, not for collecting scum. The scum that is skimmed out is collected in the cup. If scum collects at the inner column, how can organic foam rise? It's as good as a clogged pipe. Since when does laziness pay?

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Propaganda rising.....new bestseller from Tom Clancy, you should read it Fuel...lol... catch up wif you again. :)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

fuel,

this is not talking about laziness. this is talking to make this crap skimmers to performance better

you are totally right if you were talking about a good skimmer but this crap tunze skimmer needs a special care in order to give the best performance.

this tunze skimmers are wet skimmers that because the body is too short.

in order to make this skimmer to works best is:

1. the water level of the sump must be consitent.

2. lift up the skimmer a little bit high till its minimum level requirement.

3. not to clean at the inner column but clean the collection cup. the reason is not to clean inner column is let the scum clog at the inner columns that makes the bio foam harder to travel out to collection cup.

That's crap alright.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
That's crap alright.

Which part? :lol:

Someone who doesn't own a tunze telling someone who owns one how to get better performance out of the skimmer?

Or

Someone who tells us that cleaning your skimmer cup is a big no-no if you want to it to skim better?

Or

All of the above? :lol:

yes gouldian, it is a crap skimmer.

yes, i dunno own a tunze, and never will!. i am also the one who warn not to buy tunze 9010 and i am also the one who teach how to perform that skimmer to perform better.

gouldian and rocdklobster. if you guys know so much about this skimmer, why don't you help gunzo!.

Hi Salmon11,

Why dun we have coffee together sometime? ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

yes gouldian, it is a crap skimmer. do you own one? or youself is already a crap?

yes, i dunno own a tunze, and never will!.  i am also the one who warn not to buy tunze 9010 and i am also the one who teach how to perform that skimmer to perform better.

gouldian and rocdklobster.  if you guys know so much about this skimmer, why don't you help gunzo!.  if you cannot, shut the hell up shit heads.

LOl.. you jusy keep saying wet skimmer dry skimmer... A skimmer is a skimmer... to perform wet or dry skimmate is all down to unning.. I said that and will continue to say that...

Salmon11: I think you are abit too rude and hostile to the bros here... A discussion is a discussion and thats what a forum is for and theres no need to start flaming or "shouting"

Oh ya and FYI, bro gouldian is one of the few very exprience and lvl headed reefers here in SRC, what eh says and things he says is usually from his exprience.. everyone can vouch for what i say... i think you owe him an apology

yes gouldian.. i have a better thing to do. :angel:

No worries. If we do have chance, I will ensure that it will be exciting!!!! :yeah:

Cheers,

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi bro, if I am not wrong this happens to be Eudaceaous thread reviewing on the Tunze 9010 not gunzo's problem solving thread.

Btw, you also mentioned 'crap' on your reply, why my 'crap' causes you unhappiness?

Thanks for reading my post Salmon11, looking forward to meeting you one day.

Happy New Year! ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of: