Intending To Keep Clams

reefdude2003

Hi Guys, I'm new to this hobby and was thinking of keeping clams in my 3 feet tank. I don't have a chiller but I have a Mh light which I bought from DENSI (thanks Densi). My tank temperature never rises above 29 degrees even with 10 hours of MH lighting per day. I have 3 Long tip anemone in my tank, 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner skunk shrimp, 1 blue tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 black damsel(domino), 1 pseudochromis, 2 false percula, 1 tomato clown, 4 trochus snails.

Hi Guys, I'm new to this hobby and was thinking of keeping clams in my 3 feet tank. I don't have a chiller but I have a Mh light which I bought from DENSI (thanks Densi). My tank temperature never rises above 29 degrees even with 10 hours of MH lighting per day. I have 3 Long tip anemone in my tank, 2 fire shrimp, 2 cleaner skunk shrimp, 1 blue tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 black damsel(domino), 1 pseudochromis, 2 false percula, 1 tomato clown, 4 trochus snails.

hey what wattage of MH are you using cause some clam need 250watt and above mMH especially those ultras maxis........ Hey light demanding clam are maxima and crocea while lesser light demanding clam are squamosa and derasa so you might want to take note of this....... Not to mention you need to mention high calcium amount as clam need lots of calcium for their shell

Thanks guys for the advice. I just went down to PR to have a look at the clams there. They only have like 4-5 clams left. $50 for the maxima one and $30 for the other one?(it looked really drabby and on death's bed) I was told that Singapore usually only has just these 2 species. What is a good price to pay for clams? btw my MH light is 150W and suspended 10 inches from the water surface. The depth of my tank is 18 inches....but the water level is like 3-4 inches below the top of the tank. So what do you think>?Maxima>? Which is the best one to keep? in terms of hardy and looks and value for money

• SRC Member

The Crocea clams whould be ok for you too. They are also quite common.

They are usually blue-green, and are smaller than the maximas.

BTW, the brown one you saw at PR were probably Derasas.

The Derasas will definitely live very happily under your lights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Map for Paradiz Reef.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif