Sg involved with dr*gs?

FuEl

In case the media in Sg did not publish this..which would not be surprising since media is government controlled.

Only stumbled upon this when I was watching news in Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tough-on-...1407638823.html

Man..I'm supporting SDP.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
In case the media in Sg did not publish this..which would not be surprising since media is government controlled.

Man..I'm supporting SDP.

wow..i hope this is not a propaganda post.. not too sure if u can use this medium to invoke political influences

anyway... im not siding any parties.. but just wanna highlight something from CIA's finding

I quote from CIA's world fact book on Singapore

"llicit drugs:

as a transportation and financial services hub, Singapore is vulnerable, despite strict laws and enforcement, to be used as a transit point for Golden Triangle heroin and as a venue for money laundering"

• SRC Member

Man..I'm supporting SDP.

oh please, chee is a political circus clown who only knows how to pull stunts to draw attention to himself. it is darn easy to criticise the problems in sg, he doesn't have even a single suggestion for how to make things better.

and no, singapore's relations with myanmar (it's not burma anymore lah dr chee) are based on engagement to ensure that the regime does not slide into isolation and xenophobia, leading to instability in the region and possibly war on the thai border. it's easy to just point and say "THERE! myanmar produces drugs, singapore is trying to build relations with myanmar, therefore singapore is protecting drug lords!" excuse me, we'd all love it if drug lords weren't in control in myanmar but war in the region isn't going to make things better, only worse. The road to reforming myanmar is long and slow, but so are most things in life that are required to reverse years of being left behind economically and politically.

Dr Chee should get a proper job instead of being a media ###### for foreign publications and inciting trouble. Or at least, give some serious policy inputs instead of just fault finding. And how pathetic, latch on to the Nguyen issue in order to stir up trouble with the Australians. I didn't see him saying a word in Nguyen's defence before the decision to hang was made. <_<

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Ooo..whole lot of opinions..you guys never know how Aussies are against the hanging of an aussie citizen, even John Howard was pressured by the community to plead for clemency for this drug traffiker. Seriously I don't find hanging a man worth it as it would strain relations between 2 countries. They should let Australia deal with their own citizens with their own laws.

Guess most of you don't have a high opinion of Chee..but from what I've been reading I conclude that he is a fighter. Just being picked on and put down collectively by people in higher positions who don't share the same views as him. Sounds more like authoritarian rule to me. Imagine yourself sacked as a lecturer after taking part in an election, being prevented from securing a job, being fined and imprisoned so many times, sometimes just for public speaking. Who can blame him considering all the crap he experienced from speaking out? How many of us actually have applied for licences for public speaking? From what I heard in the news, it was not Chee who concluded the drugs relations but a documentary that is filmed by an Australia tv network. If he is really full of nonsense, I really wonder why he got interviewed. Fault finding is what the opposition party is for, not to be jailed.

http://www.scu.edu.au/research/clpc/human_rights/chee.html

Look on the bright side that Chee is siding with Nguyen. In future if in the unfortunate event if someone plants drugs into your luggage without your knowledge, you won't be hanged. Don't you guys get nervous entering Sg customs everytime? Imagine you were found with drugs and you had no idea where they came from, hangman. Instead of being a deterrent, the death penalty may very well result in an increase in unknowing victims who had been planted with drugs.

• SRC Member
If he is really full of nonsense, I really wonder why he got interviewed.

i wouldnt really want to comment on the political crap....

but i always didn't like media ppl.....

locally.... media is speculated to be sort of a tool by the gahmen... then again... alot of speculations and rumours going around.... never ends......

why chee can get interviewed..... becuz media always like good stories......

we take the recent michelle wie case......

the sports illustrated journalist saw michelle wie's mistake... but did not point it out untill after the game is over and score cards are signed...

any good person could have just pointed out the mistake to michelle on the spot out of good faith....

but no....... he only make a big ruckus after everything is over... why???

would a disqualification for a professional's debut match or a 2-stroke penalty for a professional's debut match be a better story??? which story you think will generate more income for the publications???

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
Look on the bright side that Chee is siding with Nguyen. In future if in the unfortunate event if someone plants drugs into your luggage without your knowledge, you won't be hanged. Don't you guys get nervous entering Sg customs everytime? Imagine you were found with drugs and you had no idea where they came from, hangman. Instead of being a deterrent, the death penalty may very well result in an increase in unknowing victims who had been planted with drugs.

actually in terms of "despicable" things sg govt has done a lot more like we were a major arms dealer (middleman) in the seventies and eighties, including helping people get arms even with UN sanctions on them. we've also been sheltering a lot of Indonesians who have embezzled money from the country because billions of dollars are now sitting in our banks helping our banks grow. so no point harping on just one thing about relations with myanmar.

in fairness to chee, i think a lot of people were prepared to vote for him in jurong in the last GE just to spite the Govt, but then he goes and pulls that brainless "Mr Goh! Come here! I want to talk to you!" crap and then loses public sympathy. For goodness sake, you might be the opposition but he was still the Prime Minister at that time, at least be polite. After that, Jurong registered the highest percentage of spoilt votes cos ppl didn't want to vote for Govt but also didn't want to vote for Chee. That was probably the last straw after a long line of ridiculous stunts like going on a hunger strike then being discovered to be on drip when a reporter showed up suddenly.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Any latest news in Sg? Saw the latest news where an Indian family in Sg dared to speak out against the death penalty as one of their family members was hanged for smuggling just 1 kg of cannabis, which is actually nothing that serious compared to murder. Just hope they don't get arrested for internal security reasons...that would be lameness. Sg was stated as having one of the highest execution rates in the world..something we should really be proud of?

• SRC Member
Any latest news in Sg? Saw the latest news where an Indian family in Sg dared to speak out against the death penalty as one of their family members was hanged for smuggling just 1 kg of cannabis, which is actually nothing that serious compared to murder. Just hope they don't get arrested for internal security reasons...that would be lameness. Sg was stated as having one of the highest execution rates in the world..something we should really be proud of?

i do not have drug peddlers sitting below my hdb block.

i do not have friends who get themselves killed from accidents due to drug misuse.

i do not foresee a serious threat of my future kids being drug addicts and ruining their lives.

and most of all, i do not have a troublemaker who opposes for the sake of opposing as my MP.

For that, i am proud.

• SRC Member

ha ha! yeah its load of crap really! but his status is different he's a world renowned musician.

agreed!!! what world reknowned? i dun even know who the hell he is, and if he go bmtc, he'll just be a F"£king recruit, just like all of us before.

$5000 for desertion, detention in army barracks for awol. ISN'T DESERTION WORSE THAN AWOL!??!?!

at least the bugger who AWOL-ED would still be in sg if there was a war! REALLY RILED ME MAN, this nonsence!

• SRC Member

saw this at some other website, it is a letter by Chee Soon Juan sent to Today and Straits Times:

I am not surprised that the Government-controlled media has again portrayed me as a “traitor” out to “undermine” Singapore. This is exactly the tactic the press is adopting with the flurry of letters published. (24 Nov 2005)

It merely confirms my suspicion that the Government cannot answer the questions and arguments that I and other Singaporeans have raised about the execution of small-time drug couriers. As a result, it resorts to labeling me as a traitor in the belief that if you smear the messenger, you don’t have to address the message. It’s an age-old tactic.

Singapore is reported to be the biggest business partner of Burma with US$1.5 billion worth of investments. Former US Assistant Secretary of State Robert Gelbard stated that “since 1998 over half of [the investments from] Singapore have been tied to the family of narco-trafficker Lo Hsing Han.''

There are reports that Lo Hsing Han now operates a deepwater port in Rangoon and a highway from the center of Burma's poppy–growing region to the China border, facilities well-suited for exporting drugs.

Remember, the drugs that flow from Burma are ones that our youth consume. If the PAP is really concerned about the scourge of drug abuse, why did it do business with a notorious drug lord and, hypocritically, take the moral high ground by executing drug couriers many of whom are Singaporeans.

Let me ask the questions that I have been asking since 1997: Will the Government open its books so that we can verify if our GIC funds are still invested in projects linked with Lo Hsing Han? What steps has the Government taken to pressure the Burmese regime to crackdown on drug kingpins like Lo? Why does our Government continue to trade with the Burmese junta when it has been shown that the military has close ties with narco-producers like Lo?

In addition, Singapore has been fingered in the laundering of Burma’s drug money. Bruce Hawke, an expert on narco-trafficking in Burma, wrote: “The entry [of drug money] to the legitimate global banking system is not Burma but Singapore.” Is this true?

I have been raising these questions since 1997 but each time the local media assiduously blacks them out. Other arguments against the mandatory death penalty for drug peddlers raised by people like Dr Anthony Yeo, Mr J B Jeyaretnam, Mr M Ravi, Mr Alex Au, Mr Sinapan Samydorai, and Brother Michael Broughton have similarly been censored.

The same arguments were raised when a Singaporean, Mr Shanmugam s/o Murugesu, was executed in May this year. I brought up the Singapore-Burma affair then when we were fighting to save Mr Shanmugam as I am doing now for Mr Nguyen Van Tuong.

The only reason why this issue has gained more prominence now is because the Australian media, which unlike its Singapore counterpart are not controlled by the state, have seen it necessary to highlight it.

Criticising our government for killing small-time drug peddlers while doing business with drug lords is necessary. Whether it is a Singaporean or an Australian who is going to dangle at the end of the rope is immaterial. A life is a life and if we are going to take it, let us be absolutely clear of the excruciating hypocrisy that currently exists.

Ms Siow Jia Rui argues that Singapore’s laws must be allowed to “run their course” and that “no other country has a right to interfere.” If that is the case then why was the charge for Ms Julia Bohl reduced after the German ambassador and government had mounted a diplomatic campaign on her behalf, meeting several senior Singaporean ministers in the process. Within months several of the charges were dropped and the amount of drugs she was accused of carrying was reduced from 687g to 281g. She escaped the gallows and served about three years for her crime. Is this not outside interference in Singapore’s justice system?

Ms Siow continues that laws in Singapore are “applied fairly across the board to Singaporeans and foreigners alike.” The life of Julia Bohl, a German, was spared because of pressure from the German Government. What about the life of Mr Shanmugam, a Singaporean who served in the army and did Singapore proud by winning medals in ski competitions? Ms Bohl served three years in prison but Mr Shanmugam was hanged. Is a Singaporean’s life so cheap compared to a foreigner’s?

I have no doubt that when Singaporeans come to hear both sides of the debate, a debate that the media is determined to quash, they will reject the hypocrisy and discrimination of the PAP Government.

CHEE SOON JUAN

Secretary-General

Singapore Democratic Party

Can't agree more..the press always protects government bodies, by censoring potentially truthful and damaging articles while publishing less political ones. Even if an article is meant to advise, the press can edit it such that it potrays the writer as being antangonistic.