Tunze Turbelle Stream

Tanzy

• SRC Member

Just received my 4x Tunze Turbelle Stream with multicontroller kit today! All I can say is that the pumps are bigger than what I have expected. The built of the pump is good and solid, all the parts fit very well and are tight.

post-14-1037883685.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

The Turbelle Stream 6100 consists of the Powerhead, Driver, Transformer and mounting kit.

My main concern is the massive amount of wiring that I will have to deal with. Also I will need to mount the driver somewhere on the hood too.

post-14-1037884619.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

The Stream is a device similar to the Reeftec in that it is a screw type powerhead. The impeller and enclosure have been replaced with a screw similar to a propeller and a large outlet. It generates large volume of low velocity water movement in the aquarium thus removing the need for numerous powerheads. Furthermore the large flow is spread over a large area unlike the nozzle of powerheads which direct a high velocity flow into the aquarium.

Tunze has warned that some fish might swim into the pump when it is not operating because the light and shadow inside resemble that of Acropora colonies. Fishes like gobies, blennies, chromis, damsels, some wrasse and dottybacks are best avoided when using the Stream

post-14-1037885056.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

The Multicontroller 7094 manages up to 4 pumps directly or as many as 16 pumps with connectors in 4 groups. It comes with a light sensor for lower flow at night. It does not have an independant power supply but is connected by cables to the pump driver.

It allows a myriad of pump settings to create random pulsed surging flows, tidal flow and wave oscillating flow patterns. It also has a feed button, when activated, shuts down the pumps for 5-8 minutes and restart automatically.

post-14-1037885312.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Harlequin,

;) No comments.

I used one in the bath tub and I can tell you it makes one hell of a jacuzzi! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

wah lao er....why all your wallet so big??? :blink:

I counting peanut trying to save for this pump for the pass 6mths. To date, I only manage to save for 1/2 the pump.

Tanzy, how much you paid for them and where did you order them?

BTW, any idea can this pump hook up on other variable switch to control the voltage and hence control the speed rather than using Tunze controller?

Guys,

You are not rich like Tanzy lah... he bought the set that is about S$2,251!!!

I think for that price is really crazy loh... I thought my reeftecs already was damn costly... and they work the exact same way.

And I am sure you intend to hide the units behind rock work for a clean look like what I am doing... so it's pointless to get a good-looking Tunze unit.

Even if I get the top of the line wavemaker timer set... it'll still be a fraction of $2k!!!

Hon... aiyoh... surprised your wife is not freaking out...

• SRC Member

Hon,

The pumps come with their own 'driver'. It's the blue box in the picture above. The pumps run on max of 12V and the driver controls the speed of the pumps. You will be able to control the pump with a variable controller if you cut the wire and bypass the driver.

I got these pumps from a LFS in UK.

AT,

I can afford the pumps because I don't have a costly in-wall tank. ;) My tank is fully exposed so my equipment must look good cause I can't hide them in a room behind.

These pumps are great cause they mount on to the tank with clips instead of silly suction cups. My powerheads are turning into LR and the suction cups stop working when coralline algae grows on them.

These pumps can't be mounted in the LR but must have their nozzle down the length of the tank across the rocks because of the huge output. When I saw them in a 6' tank at the LFS, at full blast, the DSB 6' across the tank was getting stirred up by 2 pumps on the other side because the water was deflected down by the glass. If these were pointed at the front glass, unless it is 4' away, the sand won't stand a chance.

Anyway, these pumps look better, last longer and cheaper than a LH, so why complain? :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

wah .... tanzy really have a deep pocket and so does AT .... both got their own reason but both have a common point ... they spent quite alot for their tank .... right everyone ?! :D

as i believe , spend on whatever you can ..... but don`t over spent ....

hehehehehehehe

wish i have such deep pocket like them both :blink:

• SRC Member

kaoz....$2,251 is freaking expensive. Those money is enough for a fully equipped 5ft tank manz.

Tanzy, so the tunze wave controller is attached thru a cable to the "blue box" of the pump to control the speed of the pump?

What if you don't have the controller, instead control the voltage entering from the main socket, will that also able to control the speed?

Paisey, ask so many question. Just wanna understand how this pump work. :D

For that amount of money I'll buy an Iwaki MD70 plus a couple of PVC solenoid valves, hook up a sequencing timer or cyclic timer and I have a industrial grade wave maker without having to put 4 black pumps inside the tank to detract from the view. Output can use locline nozzles.

• SRC Member
For that amount of money I'll buy an Iwaki MD70 plus a couple of PVC solenoid valves, hook up a sequencing timer or cyclic timer and I have a industrial grade wave maker without having to put 4 black pumps inside the tank to detract from the view. Output can use locline nozzles.

I wish I could do that. :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

We all koe this is an expensive hobby...

So naturally for those who have more $$ will be able to afford better quality/brand/aesthetics of pdt.

While for those who r not too up2it...there is always DIY/ cheaper buys etc.

:D Everyone should be happie

Ps* Tanzy...ya tunze rocks man! & not to mention the lights that u wanna sell away :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

Thanks Bluecarpet! I didn't build it so there's nothing special about them. Anyone can have it for an amount of money.

Just letting you guys know what it looks like so you can have a look at it before you decide to buy or not buy it.

Anyway, I don't like it because it has too much wiring but it is an impressive piece of kit.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Robe,

Nothing personal but I don't think you will save money running an Iwaki MD70R on close loop.

Iwaki MD70R - 1536 GPH using 300W

Tunze 6100 Stream - 3175 GPH using 45W

Price of electricity - S$0.1651 per kWh from Power Supply

For the sake of illustration, since the kit has 4 powerheads and assuming I only use 2 at any time running at full power. It will require 4 Iwaki MD70R running 24/7 to match the water movement assuming there is no loss due to friction in the pipes.

Calculating for 2 years

2 years = 730 days = 17520 hours

Cost of running 1 MD70R = 0.1651 x 17520 x 300 / 1000 = $867.77

Cost of running 4 MD70R = $867.77 x 4 = $3,471.06

Cost of running 1 Stream = 0.1651 x 17520 x 45 / 1000 = $130.16

Cost of running 2 Streams = $130.16 x 2 = $260.33

It is obvious even comparing one to one, which one is cheaper to run. The MD70R itself is not cheap, coming up to about half of the price of the whole kit. It looks like the Streams will pay for itself over time. Not only will you have to build your own plumbing and the wavemaker, you will also face the risk of leaks. The Stream in the tank might look intrusive, but they offer the flexibility of repositioning that a close loop cannot. Why sweat it out when a better and more convenient solution exists?

You can be proud of what you DIY, but I'll rather save money.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Some guy did a better job than me.

He compared a Reeftec to the Stream too.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Hon,

Here are the attachment pics you wanted. Instead of trying to take a picture of the pump, you will find these scans clearer and more helpful

This is how the stream is attached using the parts that come with the pump.

I accidentally, left out the pic, it's in the next post.

post-36-1093875548.jpg