Caribsea - Pro PO4 Buster

Melvyn Tan

• SRC Member

Hi just wanna share this product that i have used in removing phosphate.

One bottle 8oz treats 250 gallons by removal of 1.5ppm of PO4.

I bought it last Tues of 2005 and immediately try-out capfuls between days to my tank. It worked !

The Pros of this Phosphate removal additives are;

1) Quite instant in removing phosphate (for my case within a few days)

2) Add and forget type of additives

3) No more need to use FR to contain media based product to engage PO4 - this means no need to have FR, no need to have a pump and best of all not spillage of PO$ media to the tank.

4) Quite value for money in terms of treatment in removal of PO4 vs media based products.

Noteworthy in using;

1) Ensure kh is high (at least 3.5meg/l or 6-7 dkh) as it will lower during treatment

2) Slight cloudiness in the use (will clear quite quickly)

This is a product that i will use in lieu of Rowa for 2006 :P

A pic of the product below and more reading here Carib-sea PO4 Buster

post-14-1136174917.jpg

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
How much does it cost? where to get?

DITTO !! WHERE !!! I fighting PO4 and nitrate now ..

got AZ NO3 so NO3 is on the downward trend .. but PO4!!! ROWA too slow liao ..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

sounds like interesting product... may i know wh lfs sells it here? will try it in place of rowaphos n see the diff

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Hi hi,

Got it from Sealife, gave it a try and viola...

I wanted to try the purple up but not in this shipment - the packers in US forget !

Maybe can poll together and see if Sealife can give better price for this CNY :P

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

how much is it? more exp than rowa?

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
Hi hi,

Got it from Sealife, gave it a try and viola...

I wanted to try the purple up but not in this shipment - the packers in US forget !

Maybe can poll together and see if Sealife can give better price for this CNY :P

Bro, no need to waste money on purple up lah. With yr CR running now, i m sure yr tank will purple up in no time.

• SRC Member

I will be interested if uncle Sam can bring in this:

NO-NO3™ -

Nitrate troubles? Current research shows that sulfur based denitrators hold promise for significant nitrate reduction in heavily bio-

loaded systems. These experimental biologically driven de-nitrator/reactors rely on a combination of pure sulfur, aragonite and

sulfur reducing bacteria. NO-NO3™ is that media. Go ahead and experiment. CaribSea has you covered.

Product #: 00527 (1 gallon).

post-14-1136213193.jpg

• SRC Member

or this

LSM™ -

Here is a pure granular elemental sulfur, with sulfur reducing bacteria right on it. This product can be used in a number of ways,

and accomplishes the same job of nitrate reduction as our NO-NO3™. This product is ideal for dual chamber reactors, using our

A.R.M.™ in one reactor and placing the L.S.M.™ in another. This results in a system that delivers elevated calcium, and

reduced nitrates.

Product #: 00528 (1 gallon).

post-14-1136213278.jpg

• SRC Member

yep bro/sis Acanthurus sohal... i hv tried many methods as well. so far the best is rowaphos ... buta bit exp thats why always onlookout for alternate products

Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

what is the price may i ask?

did some searching and found this PO4 Buster Pro

It says one capful for every 5 gallons. This is a 250ml bottle right? so for a 3 feet tank (about 100 gallons inclusive of sump volume) I need to dose 20 capful ? ... does that means in less than 3 days I finish the whole bottle liao ?

• SRC Member

It will be more informative if the manufacturer can provide more details of this product like:

Where does all the by product goes? Do they get skimmed out of the tank or just reacted chemically and then remained inside the water column. If the by product remains in the water column, does it has any long term effect to the live stocks?

• SRC Member
It will be more informative if the manufacturer can provide more details of this product like:

Where does all the by product goes? Do they get skimmed out of the tank or just reacted chemically and then remained inside the water column. If the by product remains in the water column, does it has any long term effect to the live stocks?

I'm using another one from salifert .. and this one says 5ml per 25 gal ..

it is also stated that the chemicals bonding it to the PO4 makes it skimmable for 12 hours .. so you actually skim out the PO4 with the chemicals .. according the instructions also .. if your skimmer not efficient, then after 12 hours .. the chemical bonds break down .. and the PO4 actually returns to the system .. maybe they work the same way ??

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

sorry might not be in the same frequency and :off: but juz a thot

wouldnt a DI more cost effective in a long run. A startup DI cost (low) 2xx and

treats 3000gallon of water. take a 20% dicount, it can still treat 2400gallon.

The DI media itself shld be much cheaper.

With the startup, do a couple of 20% water change daily or alternate day

and ur PO4 would drop.

But then again, maybe you are referring to PO4 intro by other means other than

tap water ... coz i got the impression that tap water (correct me if i'm wrong)

is the main PO4 provider.

So far for me, FR(with Rowa) and DI water is enough to keep PO4 undetectable

and I'm feeding a lot with tangs and anthias.

cheers

• SRC Member

Yap have the same Q like bro zephyros mention.

Tot PO4 problem mostly comes from tap water and due to ignorance in the bigining of this hobby, I started off with tap water. Running Rowa for 5 months already but readings always hovering between 3-4ppm. Have been using mineral water as top up for the paste 2 months. Still PO4 has not decrease.

Will need to change my media liao but before proceeding would like to know more about what bro zephyros mentioned. Any bro out there can contribute? :peace:

• SRC Member

:o we should be mindful of using chemical additives to solve tank water chemistry problems cos' what we put into our tank may indirectly affect its chemistry & possibly the biological balance in the long run. :blink:

Juz my thoughts... <_<B)