Will Clownfish Fight Until Die?

• SRC Member

they would bite each other fins/tails etc till one is so seriously injured that it might not be able to swim and after that that clown fish will get attacked by crabs in the middle of the night because of it's inability to swim away..

• SRC Member

from what i know if u want to mix different type of clown.. some fish does behave very nasty... even same breed also can attack like sia*..... hehe.. i got two type of clown in my tank and they are living in harmony.. always stay together one... so nice..... Percula Clown and Pink Skunk Clown....

Tomato clown is especially aggressive to other clown fishes which are not of the same species. I used to have a Tomato clown and it always get irritated, aggresive and annoyed at the other clownfishes that got in its way. Ended up got to see "high speed chase movie", with the chaser being the Tomato clown. Often, the chasee will be the one getting hurt.

• SRC Member

R Sabea Clownfishes very aggressive? Mine keeps chasing the other common clowns ... poor fellas! I know that Maroons R aggressive too ...

Hey anybody wanna list out the most aggressive clowns? How bout their compatability with other clowns? Why R clownfishes named "True" ie. True Percula Clownfish (just wondering lah).

Interested 2 find out more about yr experience in keeping them.

P.S : Seems like most reefers here dun really seem 2 like clownfishes ... hmmm.

R Sabea Clownfishes very aggressive? Mine keeps chasing the other common clowns ... poor fellas! I know that Maroons R aggressive too ...

Hey anybody wanna list out the most aggressive clowns? How bout their compatability with other clowns? Why R clownfishes named "True" ie. True Percula Clownfish (just wondering lah).

From my experience, I would list the following clownfishes as aggressive. The top in the list being most aggressive and the bottom being the least or timid.

1. Tomato

2. Maroon

3. African

4. Yellow and brown clownfish (sorry can't remember it general name)

5. False Percula

6. True Percula

As to why they are called according to their names, probably any experts here want to clarify?

Also depend on fish size lar......tomato or maroon clown will swim away if you have a slightly bigger size common clown in the same tank :)

• SRC Member

Yup...Maroon is most aggressive followed by Tomato clown.

Interesting is...my four-inch Tommy left a 1-inch percula aside and attacked the 4 inch percula one. I have to resort to giving away the bigger one and now it is living harmoniously with the smaller one. Maybe, maternal instincts took over... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

no pt taking the risk lah. fighting & torn fins = tension & stress. may bring on white spots, ich etc. ...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :