need advice on 2ft lighting and stock.

thanantosis

• SRC Member

hi all.....

currently im setting up a new 2ft x 1ft x 20 inch(height) tank....dsb 3 inch

however due to the overflow behind the tank.... i can only fit t5x2tube and a 55w tube of lighting.....

thus... need help on whats the combination of light should i use?...

example.... two t5 white tube plus 1 blue/white 55 pl?......... or 1 tube t5 white, 1 tube t5 blue... and 55w pl white?.... pls advice....

btw... im going to keep zoo, starpod, mushroom etc..... and maybe some LPS....

and stocking now.....

going to put all small fishes in my tank....not more then 5 of them...... going to put a pair of clown....

can advice of whats the smaller/smallest fishes i can find?......

and what clown is the smallest???...

can advice on the stock?....

thanks a million!

From what I know PL dun have true actinic thus if I were you I will go for:

1 x 55w PL (White)

1 x 24w T5 (Actinic)

1 x 24w Ts (White)

Just my 2 cents,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

coral life have PL that is actinic....but its hard to find here....

your set up of 55w+24w+24w = 103w.....might as well got for a single 150w 14kk MH, less messy then with so many tubes....:P at 20 inch height, zoos and lps should still be ok....;)

• SRC Member
From what I know PL dun have true actinic thus if I were you I will go for:

1 x 55w PL (White)

1 x 24w T5 (Actinic)

1 x 24w Ts (White)

Just my 2 cents,

thank bro!... long time no see! how r u?.. and your baby?....

is Actinic a must?.... or its jus for viewing sick?.....

can i work with 2 t5 white tube.... and a 55 with 1/2 blue 1/2 white??

• SRC Member
coral life have PL that is actinic....but its hard to find here....

your set up of 55w+24w+24w = 103w.....might as well got for a single 150w 14kk MH, less messy then with so many tubes....:P at 20 inch height, zoos and lps should still be ok....;)

ahhaha bro cos now i got a spare 55 w light and a t5 set already.... ehehheheheh

• SRC Member

here goes my suggestions...

consider the cost of 1 PL n 1 T5...definetely the T5 will be cheaper...i will go for :

1x T5 20,000k

1x T5 Blue/Actinic

1x PL white...

in this case..u wont hav to worry tt u cannt find replacement tube for the PL in case u are using PL blue..the cost wun be tt high also..T5s are cheaper den PLs...lots of reefers here love to see their tank in the blue effect..so definetely blue muz on longer hrs den the white..

lets sae if ur PL white fails to operate..u can still use the T5 20,000k temporaily...

jus my 2 cents..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
here goes my suggestions...

consider the cost of 1 PL n 1 T5...definetely the T5 will be cheaper...i will go for :

1x T5 20,000k

1x T5 Blue/Actinic

1x PL white...

in this case..u wont hav to worry tt u cannt find replacement tube for the PL in case u are using PL blue..the cost wun be tt high also..T5s are cheaper den PLs...lots of reefers here love to see their tank in the blue effect..so definetely blue muz on longer hrs den the white..

lets sae if ur PL white fails to operate..u can still use the T5 20,000k temporaily...

jus my 2 cents..

thanks for the advice!!!!!!

hmmmm is Actinic very important?.... is it jus for my viewing?..... if thats the case.....

can i have both t5 white........ and a 1/2 blue 1/2 white 55 w pl?... can?

thanks!

• SRC Member

corals need more den jus white to sustain their colour....what u mention is equally 80% white...the proportion shld be white 60% and blue/actinics 40%..

i would strongly suggest my suggestion on my post above...save cost n effective also...

HTH

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

hi there thananthosis,

thanks for pming me.

if your tank is about 1 ft in height, i think your present light configuration should be sufficient to keep the corals you have in mind, though i would suggest good reflectors and e-ballasts to get the most out of the T5s. also, try to place the light tubes as close as possible to the water surface without it getting too much water spray, as distance from water surface affects light intensity.

As for the use of actinic bulbs. its debatable certainly, but in my opinion, they are necessary somewhat, because they supplement white tubes with added blue spectrums. normal T5 10000k tubes do not supply much in the form of wavelengths around the 420 to 470nm range.

If you can afford to, id recommend D & D T5 tubes- the Aquablue plus 11000k.(if you can get ATi, even better). The aquablue is a 50/50 tube, meaning it is designed to emit both a 8500k wavelength as well as 22000k. This provides PAR for growth, whilst at the same time supplementing enough blue spectrums for colouration. if you get the aquablue plus, you can use 2 x 24w aquablue plus HO T5s, plus 1 x 55w PL bulb, of whichever spectrum or colour best suits your preference.

as for space limitation, many bros have suggested a single 150w MH to you, and i think thats a good suggestion if youre open to upgrading your lights. if you prefer T5s as i do, one way to get more tubes in is to get two light fixtures (for example, 2 sets of 2x 24w), and then tilting them such that there is a central band where light is overlapped (think old school slanted roofs with lights on both slants aimed downwards). This way, youll have areas with more intense light, and areas with not sso intense light, allowing you to keep more varied organisms. This is how i place my T5s right now. I hope to get a tnak thread up, as soon as my friend, bro cirrus, can come by to help me take the pics seeing as i dont have a digi cam.

Well, i hope that helps in some way bro. all the best with your new tank.

ian

I'm using a 55W Maqnum version 1 PL 10,000K light set and a 9W actinic PL for my 2 feet tank. My anemone and plate coral are doing well with the light combination. There are 55W PL tubes with 1 side actinic, 1 side white. You might wanna try that out.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

Hi Bro. got your pm. With regards to your lighting requirements.i'm no expert but i'm using a 150w 14,000k MH together with one 24w pl + a 15w actinic coral blue FL as a backup.

As far as fish are concerned. i would try to daa only those docile ones and not the ones that are relatively aggresive(e.g damsels)

You could consider cardials and fire goby. Clowns can be quite aggresive at times but mostly to their own kind.just Don't get the tomato clown as that is just one big bully.

All the best in your setup and i hope i've been of some help. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

thanks all bros here for helping!!!!

really thanks alot!!!!!!!

u all really does a great help in my decision!!!!!!! really!!!!

i will update my tank soon to let u all have a look......

i will not be able to setup my tank without all your help!!!!! thanks a million!

• SRC Member

Hi thanantosis,

so have you decided on what type of lighting? make sure you check that the tank is not over heated, if not you will have to consider a cooling fan or a chiller to cope too.

I'm using Atman 150 Mh with 2 24watt pl as lighting for my 2 ft. using a chiller to keep the temp down. As for no of fishes, it really depends on your tank condition and how you intend to maintain it. I have no trouble keeping 8 fishes and 3 clams wit gd filration and skimmer, and weekly water changes. Have fun reefing !