Spikes got into my hand!

• SRC Member

oh no..

can u determine where the spikes are from?

it can be quite fatal if its an urchin or some other foreign livestock

best option now is to see a doc to examine the injury

safety is the best policy

pls update us of your condition

• SRC Member

huh .. don scare me ..!! the spikes are from the LR! ... it happened at Reborn . When i toss the LR . then i hold 1 in my hand . and felt something puncture my finger. then i look at my hand . and see some spikes. It looks as if i just touched a cactus.

Better to go to a doctor quick!!!

I've seen people who got poisoned by unknown spikes till the area actually starts to develop gangreen :sick:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Yes, i've got this too when i handled my LRs last time... If you look closely, they are actually tiny splinters stuck to your finger, or whichever part of you that got stung. The bristles of a bristleworm??

If you can see the splinter, you can pull it out with a pair of tweezers. Otherwise the part will hurt whenever it comes into contact with any surface. Will last for a couple of days then no more pain liao. Think the splinters fell out by itself, given time. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Yes, i've got this too when i handled my LRs last time... If you look closely, they are actually tiny splinters stuck to your finger, or whichever part of you that got stung. The bristles of a bristleworm??

If you can see the splinter, you can pull it out with a pair of tweezers. Otherwise the part will hurt whenever it comes into contact with any surface. Will last for a couple of days then no more pain liao. Think the splinters fell out by itself, given time. :rolleyes:

I second bro Cornfish's quote. See any spikes or is ur hand swollen?

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
I see no spikes .. cause i pluck them out ,, my hand is not swollen . its my finger .. and i don feel any pain .

how abt when ur fingers press against any object, any pain? If there is pain, might be there r still spikes in there

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

Nope .. there isnt .. the spikes i pluck them out .. i assume i plucked them out .. but i not sure is break into half not .. maybe some stuck inside . But guys .. to think again . If the Uncle know LRs will cause this kind of thing .. why will he ask me to choose myself ?

• SRC Member

cornyfish,

I F**King kana b4.

Whole palm.

F**King took me an hr with a tweezer to clear my whole palm.

Was washing the filter sponge when it happen.

rogerboi,

Look out for abnormalties in your hand.

Anything not right go straight 2 doctor.

Sorry bro, no jokes.

• SRC Member

One of my friend got prick when he was arranging the LR. The tinkling pain persist for a couple of days, But was not exactly pain when he got a tweezers to pull out the spikes. aftertat, no more pain :rolleyes:

Actual fact, he describe it as uncomfort with slight pain <_<

• SRC Member
Nope .. there isnt .. the spikes i pluck them out .. i assume i plucked them out .. but i not sure is break into half not .. maybe some stuck inside . But guys .. to think again . If the Uncle know LRs will cause this kind of thing .. why will he ask me to choose myself ?

Well cos different people have different preferences for LR shape, size etc... so best to choose yourself.

Now when choosing LRs at the LFS, i always grab it using pincer grip (index and thumb, of both hands), to minimise the surface contact area of my hand with the LR. So if really suay suay kenna, only my finger will kenna. Otherwise whole palm may kenna splinters, and that's really no joke.

• SRC Member

well, i never really use the whole palm to grab LR. Like wat Bro confish say , use minimum contact on it

huh.... Me never use gloves to handle LR b4... maybe if u wanna use, maybe can get those cloth type that was use at construction site . Jus my suggestion :erm:

• SRC Member
Aww .. man .. gosh .. Yah .. i will look out for abnormalties .. but i am perfectly fine right now . wat kind of gloves can be use ? i really wan to get a pair man .

I don't think it really matters what kind of gloves you use, as long as you avoid the rubber examination gloves (that doctors and nurses use when examining patients) which will leave powder everywhere..

• SRC Member

could be just a light brush from bristleworm or other really harmless thingy

are u still in pain? feel like vomiting??

dont really have to jump at this issue if it doesnt swell up ..

ive got stung by long spined urchin (hurt for 1 whole day .. self medicate with vinegar .. never really removed the spike .. they got dissolved into my system) .. got bitten by 7" long dogface puffer (teeths mark stayed for 5min or so) .. and sometimes by some unknown thingy from LR (but i can usually spot the tiny spike and extract them! )

• SRC Member

i tink u jus come n contact with some sponges on the LRs...i kena alot time liaoz..jus pluck it out n nth happen...

note that button polyps will hav spikes oso..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata