Lighting...

wolfie

• SRC Member

Mine is a 2ft 15g five plan tank. Seriously 2 15w FL is definitely not enuff for any kind of corals. Thats why i retrofitted a 55w 10k PL. Yup one more thing, if you are a DIY person, change all the ballast to Eballast~! It generates much much less heat and wouldnt hit up yur nano ~! 2 cents ;)

I hope u did not get your marine advice from Chan? :P Juz Kidd|n

Actually...2 x 36 watts PL should be enuff for anemones. And not all anemones require strong lights. When I first started out this hobby...I kept my first rose under such lighting and they were no recorded problems.

Hmmm...

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this hobby and is plannng to set up my marine tank. Size is

4'x2'x2'. Have read about FL,PL and MH. Think PL is more suited for my

budget. Am thinking of buying a off-the-rack holder with 2 or 3 tubes.

What is the recommended specs ? what type of tubes and color ? which brand is recommended ? Price ? Also I prefer e-ballast for lower heat emission. Appreciate all feedbacks from you guys. Many thanks

• SRC Member

Valleyman,

The lightning that your reef requires actually depends on what you are planning to keep...

Many people have the misconception that MHs startups are expensive... but IMO, if you do a little planning and DIY, They actually don't cost that much...

If you are looking for a strong light source and hoping to achieve these through the procurement of PLs... You might end up spending much more...

Of course with the understanding that you already have a chiller.....

;)

• SRC Member

Hi Valleyman, first you should ask yourslef are you keep corals or just Fish? If Fish, then there is no need to have PL or MH, but if you are keeping corals, then here are the available PL for you to choose.

From MarineLife

--------------------

4x55W PL light housing, includes 4 10000K PL, price $240(not electronic ballast)

From Nature Aquarium

----------------------------

1. 4x36W PL light housing, includes 4 10000K PL, price $240(I think they are using the electronic ballast. You need to confirm the price, that was what I was quote sometime back)

2. 2x55W PL light housing, includes 2 10000K PL, price $140(Electronic ballast)

From Soon Heng or C328

-------------------------------

JBJ, 4x40W or 4x36W PL light housing, includes 4 6500K or 10000K PL, price $270-$280.

as for selection, it is totally up to you.

Wow, can only budget around $150 for the whole light setup. Actually, my system is more for soft coral with chiller. Option 2 from Nature looks ok, but read somewhere that 6.5kk with an altinic 03 PL is much cheaper. Both being 55W (I think). What does you guys think ? My friend just pass 2x4' PL tubes. He paid around $70/ea. The tubes are much thicker than the normal FL, but Nature's holder should hold this size ? If so, I will just get the holder. Also, people are recommending moving the e-ballast away as it is a heat source. What yr comment on this ? Thanks for sharing

• SRC Member

I would go fo both 10000K cos for you to get a real actinic blue in Singapore for 55W, it will cost you a bomb. Last heard is that corallife 36W actinic blue cost about $55. The 2x4' is a FL right? A PL and FL look totally different, thus you cannot subsitute the holder for it, assuming the above about the 2x4' is true. Yes you can move the e-ballast out, but that will be ugly and you need to find a place to store it.

clowntrigger,

I looked at the tubes last night and found one is a Coralife Magtinic Actinic 03, FR40T12-180-BP. Do not know what wattage is it. The other tube has lost most of its marking. Guess it is 10kk. Since the tubes are of the thick type, I guess both are PL (???). How to tell the diff btw a PL and a FL ? Does Nature sells just the light housing ? If so, what is the $ for a 4' for 2 or 3 tube mountings with holders able to hold the PL tubes. Was informed that one would need to change the tubes after 3-6mths since the chemical (Phosphorus ?) inside the tube is use up and the light is not giving the spectra needed by the coral. What is the average usage hr before one changes the tube ? Thanks

• SRC Member

Valleyman, a PL light look like the light tube in a long U shape with a 4 pin connector at one end only. Whereas a FL is a normal long tube with 2 pin connector at 2 end. To judge a wattage of a PL lights, you can measure it length, usually a 16" one is 36W while a 23" is a 55W or 40W. I do not know whether Nature sells the light housing alone, you need to call them up and ask. The average is to change the light tube 6-9 months,hope that help.