White xenia not opening

cowbox

• SRC Member

Decided to remove it as parts of it were falling apart around my tank :o Wasted $$$!!! Hmph.

Lesson learnt: Don't buy xenias that were not open in the store. Smell the coral and make sure its 'FRESH". I smell it yesterday and it had a slight foul smell but the person said it was ok, so i guess trust your own instincts better. :(

Happy reefing still!

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Yup, i believe its a hit or miss. But i think the white xenia is a more sensitive species than other xenia, hence it's vunerbility. But the risk of putting a foul smelling coral in your tank is quite high, hence i did not dare take the risk. Maybe someone who have experiences with white xenia can give some tips? I won't stop getting another one again though hehe

Just in case, i did not start this thread to complain or put down anyone. So no hard feelings :peace:

Hi,

It is advisable to put any corals in a quarantine tank to avoid any dying corals in your beautiful tank.

Xiena known as pulsing corals have to be open. It means they are healthy. Below is my xiena i bought for 1 week after proper quarantine:

Xiena1.jpg

Xiena have to put on the sand bed with strong current. They have sensitive detector on their membrane that flow with current that give them the 'pulsing effect'

The 'smell' mentioned is probably the result of ammonia that produced from dead corals..

Hope u get a healthy xiena with proper care!

Xenia is known to smell. Dead ones are worse! ;)

They are also quite sensitive to changes in water conditions. The jury is out on how well they keep. Some have good success, some have failures.

Iodine supplements are supposedly helpful for xenia.

• 3 weeks later...

Xenia require plankton or target food frequenly

I just know that as many tank succeed xenia by feeding.

especialy white xenia they's away from red sea and Fiji not only the correct condition , temp but they also want the best quality parameter like sps coral .

just my 0.002 cent good luck ;)