The Art of Algae Control

• SRC Member

Dear All,

I have a problem with algae growth on my glass thought. Its like I need to clean it once every 2 -3 days. I think its phytoplanktons that I have added has some major contributing factor. (Need this confirmed by you experts).

What is the best LiveStock to add to a nano that will place the algae in check?

I know turbo snails are the best, but they can grow really fast and and may eventually move your LRs. I guess same problem with hermit crabs..

What about Cleaner shrimps...do they eat algae as well?

Maybe a blenny...but do all blennies do the job of eating algae?

Can anyone suggest a good blenny?

There is a also a compatibility concern of the newbie with my current inhabitants as well. Dont want the new algae controller to stress existing LS or vice versa.

Current Inhabitants : 1X Green Madarinfish, 1xFalse Percula, 3x BlueChromis, 1 yellow striped goby, 1X 2spot goby.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Make sure that you have 0 phospshate. Only use RO or DI water for make up water and when doing water changes.

Turbo snails seem to create far less havoc than hermits do, in regard to 'moving' corals and rocks.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
First of all, like what May&Bruce said, using good source of water for water change will reduce algae. But New tank syndrome will always have algae, until your tank mature to 1.5yrs to 2. Algae will diminish with time. Be patience.

;)

Thanks for the advise.

When you say algae will diminish over time due to the bacteria build up in a matured tank? or some other contributing factor?

So its true that tap water causes more algae? Initially I thought leaving tap water to stand for more than 24 hours will reduce the chlorine which is harmful for the fishes... so there is also phospate in our tap water that is contributing to algae growth?

Plan to get a turbo snail now..but one silly qeustion, will the snail like eat up caroline algae on my LR as well? :huh:

a lot of people will prob tell you that turbo dun eat coraline algae...but i cun guarantee for sure...as i stopped using such snails a long time ago...their big shells make them way clumsy on rocks...moving corals...etc....

i will choose a sea hare for algae prob...saw really great results with them...but do bear in mind...as with most slugs...they do better in matured tanks... :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member
i will choose a sea hare for algae prob...saw really great results with them...but do bear in mind...as with most slugs...they do better in matured tanks... :)

Thanks bluecarpet,

Yeah I share your sentiment as well. But eveyone suggesting a turbo.

Will consider a seahare..but they look like they will grow very big. Do they?

Also I know seaslugs like nudibranch loves to attack the sponges like blue sponges. Will the hare do the same?

Cheers

hi juscool, like most here I also suggest you go for snails , and short spikes urchins , ((the long spikes ones grind my rocks for the coralline algae-they are bad news!)). The algae/grime collecting on glass surfaces is unavoidable, especially if your tank is sited near natural sunlight, like mine is. I use natural sea water, and filtered tap water. When I do "tap" water changes theres more algae,diatom bloom than when I go for NSW, but I like to alternate.I am harnessing the power of chaeto's algae, caulerpa algaes and mangroves , these are alternative nutrients absorbant , (if you have space, I suggest you hook up a tank, to give you extra voume, and soak up all that silicates, phosphates! thus competing with the bad algae. Directing your flow at the glass can help reduce your blurred view...but then that dont solve your nutrients issues! :eyebrow:

Also are your phytoplankton laced with plants fertilizers ? did you buy them from the shop or mix up your own batch?

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member
Also are your phytoplankton laced with plants fertilizers ? did you buy them from the shop or mix up your own batch?

Thanks for the info Keith. :bow:

Well, may consider the snail as my brother just bought me another mandarin fish over the weekend. So it may have to shelve the algae blenny till somefish dies.

The pythoplanktons are the pre-mixed ones from the fishfarm, I'm not sure if they have fertilizers.

Cheers

Justin

• SRC Member

Yeah, thats what I have been told. But the new one is bigger in size than the resident one. But didnt see it since last night. Will scrutinise the tank again this evening...if not I will have to release the boxer shrimpt from quarantine to do rescue and retrieval of the body. :(

• SRC Member
hv heard of Algone, which remove nutrient eg nitrates by biological means.

has anyone heard and is it really good?

Algone is not sufficient in controlling algae. Get a PO4 remover for this case.

Algone is good in controlling NO3 below 20ppm.

Thanks bluecarpet,

Yeah I share your sentiment as well. But eveyone suggesting a turbo.

Will consider a seahare..but they look like they will grow very big. Do they?

Also I know seaslugs like nudibranch loves to attack the sponges like blue sponges. Will the hare do the same?

Cheers

bro...sorry for my tardy reply...this thread gave me the slip...

i dun quite know how u define big...but generally...the biggest i've seen are about plus minus 4 inches or so....

nope...the seahare in my tank did not eat any of my sponges...he JUST loves algae!!! :D

btw...there r 2 versions in the mkt...the dull-coloured ones and the dull-coloured ones (with blue rings)....

remember to acclimatize it slowly... :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now