where to buy LED light??

raydiative

• SRC Member
Sim Lim Tower do sell those ready made ones . LOL

take a walk there , u'll see lots of led stuff

you mean they have raedymade "moonlight"??

hmmm... i think i'm going there for a walk tonight... :lol:

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

its Sim LIm TOWER. Avoid SIm Lim Square, its more of computer-wares there.

Do a search on LED bulbs, your question HAS BEEN answered before.

LED bulbs selling between a few cents to a dollar + (depending which shop you go to.)

some shops at Sim Lim Tower DO sell some ready-made LED lightings, just that they are NOT MOONLIGHTS.

if u plan on DIY-ing, goodluck and happy calculating the ohms n volts.

alternatively, check out the below website:

Moonlights ordering

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

its Sim LIm TOWER. Avoid SIm Lim Square, its more of computer-wares there.

Actually, no, I'll go to Sim Lim SQUARE instead.

There is a shop along level 3 that specializes in these electronics stuff. Looks messy and "low-class", but it's a good sign. There, I got my blue and white LEDs at prices even LOWER than Sim Lim Tower. Since I wanted quite a few, I shopped SLT and SLS, and my efforts paid off.

Each LED costs me S$0.25. Shiok... ;)

And if you wanna go SLT, be sure to go there during office hours coz most shops are closed after that. However, SLS is usually bustling with activities after office hours.

My DIY lights are found here. I didn't bother to use a resistor coz I'm lazy. No soldering, just poke the LEDs into a bread board.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

woohoo!!! :bow: thanks so much cci[RR]us your thread on how to do DIY will be useful... how come yours no need resistor?? isnt ur moonlight alittle too bring anyway?? please advice!

Not that mine no need, but I didn't bother to put. By right I have to put, but I chose not to put because I am too lazy. Somehow, they worked. But I stopped using them after a month coz they appear to be very crude looking. Yucks.

Quite bright, but I can't find a light diffuser, to spread the concentrated beams of LED light into the entire tank. That's the main problem with LEDs, next is the narrow spectrum of their wave emissions.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member
us,Mar 7 2006, 11:40 PM] Not that mine no need, but I didn't bother to put. By right I have to put, but I chose not to put because I am too lazy. Somehow, they worked. But I stopped using them after a month coz they appear to be very crude looking. Yucks.

Quite bright, but I can't find a light diffuser, to spread the concentrated beams of LED light into the entire tank. That's the main problem with LEDs, next is the narrow spectrum of their wave emissions.

pro pro~ :bow:

• SRC Member
us,Mar 7 2006, 04:31 PM]

There is a shop along level 3 that specializes in these electronics stuff. Looks messy and "low-class", but it's a good sign. There, I got my blue and white LEDs at prices even LOWER than Sim Lim Tower. Since I wanted quite a few, I shopped SLT and SLS, and my efforts paid off.

And if you wanna go SLT, be sure to go there during office hours coz most shops are closed after that. However, SLS is usually bustling with activities after office hours.

My DIY lights are found here. I didn't bother to use a resistor coz I'm lazy. No soldering, just poke the LEDs into a bread board.

how much would SLT sells?? how much more??? kinda weird to hear tt sls is cheaper than slt...hehe

• SRC Member
us,Mar 7 2006, 11:40 PM] Not that mine no need, but I didn't bother to put. By right I have to put, but I chose not to put because I am too lazy. Somehow, they worked. But I stopped using them after a month coz they appear to be very crude looking. Yucks.

hmmmm... too bright??? y dun you cut down the number of LEDs??

wad i intend to do is to have a reflector to reflect the LED lights into the tank and cut down the number of LEDs... by doing so i think will lower the overall brightness... ;)

i'll be trying to do a proper cover for it as well... might look nicer rather den haveing wires all over the place as wad bro cci[RR]us mentioned his light being ugly..

hmm... u still have the lights??? since u dun use it anymore may as well pass to me experiment??? :P

how much would SLT sells?? how much more??? kinda weird to hear tt sls is cheaper than slt...hehe

I think they sell at around 40 cents per piece. Btw I got that 25 cents price when I buy in bulk. I bought over 30 pieces, I think.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

hmmmm... too bright??? y dun you cut down the number of LEDs??

wad i intend to do is to have a reflector to reflect the LED lights into the tank and cut down the number of LEDs... by doing so i think will lower the overall brightness... ;)

i'll be trying to do a proper cover for it as well... might look nicer rather den haveing wires all over the place as wad bro cci[RR]us mentioned his light being ugly..

hmm... u still have the lights??? since u dun use it anymore may as well pass to me experiment??? :P

I need so many of them because I want to light up my tank from left, all the way to the right. If I cut down on the LEDs, I would not be able to cover the length of my tank. The proper way to reduce the brightness, I think, is to use resistors. My DC is too high, that's why they are too bright.

Sad to say, I have no patience with my LED light and I didn't do any proper cover. My previous filter caused salt sprays which corroded all my LEDs and bread board. Right now, they are very rusty. But they were ok before I decommissioned it. :)

Btw, you should look for glass or plastic blocks that are able to disperse/diffuse the focused light from the LEDs. Otherwise you'll find them acting as spotlights and look very ugly. :sick:

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

whahahaha... okie... if i can get this "moonlight" up i will share with ya guys... lol...

any idea wad i can use for a reflector or cover??? you guys precious advice will be appreciated... :bow:

Reflector most likely will not disperse/diffuse the concentrated beam of light well. Well, no harm trying.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

hmmm.... okie.... i'll try to do one with reflector first... den will see the results before deciding...

any people with idea wad i can use for reflector or casing??

• SRC Member
us,Mar 7 2006, 04:31 PM]

bro... i couldnt find the $0.25 LED light at SLS today.. :cry:

headed to SLT instead and settled for 10 $0.50 ones instead... that was after some shop owners try to "con" me by selling $0.80 - $1.00 for each LED light... :o

hmmm... any bros with any suggestion wad i can use for the casing and reflector?