Magnesium help!!!

Bro

How can I increase Magnesium level? I've been using Kent Marine additives (as stated in my signature).

:thanks:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

tropic marine mag can help to increase your mag better. but this is not a long term solution. cos mg supplement is not cheap :) you got to find the source of low mg.

e.g:

your saltmix mg level (get a good saltmix with good parameters)

long term use of kalk water

since your tank is new and i don't think your tank can consume such a high mg within a short time :)

age.png

tropic marine mag can help to increase your mag better. but this is not a long term solution. cos mg supplement is not cheap :) you got to find the source of low mg.

e.g:

your saltmix mg level (get a good saltmix with good parameters)

long term use of kalk water

since your tank is new and i don't think your tank can consume such a high mg within a short time :)

Thanks bro... yeah I agree, dosing is not the long term solution... let me find out why I'm facing this problem. Thanks!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

The best solution is to use a salt with good Mg reading. Since you are starting a new rank I would suggest that you don't worry too much about the level now. It will cost you alot to up Mg to say 1500ppm.

Better to make sure that your new tank use a good salt to start on the right step.

The best solution is to use a salt with good Mg reading. Since you are starting a new rank I would suggest that you don't worry too much about the level now. It will cost you alot to up Mg to say 1500ppm.

Better to make sure that your new tank use a good salt to start on the right step.

I started using Tropic Marin (normal, not pro series) then change to Aqua Medic Reef Salt which cost 50%. Do you think the price is justified?

Lvl 1140 today... that is after kalk... r they related?

I started using Tropic Marin (normal, not pro series) then change to Aqua Medic Reef Salt which cost 50%. Do you think the price is justified?

Sorry guys... Aqua Medic costs 50% MORE than Tropic Marine... typo

• SRC Member

Dun use Aqua medic salt as I experience the same low Mg issue which cost me a bomb 2 raise the Mg. Try Espom salt which is cheaper but need to chg water regularly as it increase yr sulphate too!

Maybe u can try to source for Magnesium Cholride which I suppose is cheaper compare to Mg additives and is capable of raising Mg safely!

Lvl 1140 today... that is after kalk... r they related?

kalkwasser has a caustic pH and will deplete Mg.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

is the environment salt high in mg ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

actually i find tropic marin and coralife salt is a good combination...

coralife salt is to bring up ur ca and mg..as well as boosting up coralines algae

tropic marin gives very good trace elements and corals seems to open well with tt saltmix..

wad i do is 85% of TM and 15% of coralife..till now..i hav found out that my ca has gone up to 480ppm...so the next water change i will use 100% tropic marin... :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

actually i find tropic marin and coralife salt is a good combination...

coralife salt is to bring up ur ca and mg..as well as boosting up coralines algae

tropic marin gives very good trace elements and corals seems to open well with tt saltmix..

wad i do is 85% of TM and 15% of coralife..till now..i hav found out that my ca has gone up to 480ppm...so the next water change i will use 100% tropic marin... :D

Bro TM pro or normal?

• SRC Member
Hrmz, whats Magnesium for anyway. Never bothered to measure it..... :unsure:

its essential for the growth of coraline algae!!... :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

mine is even worse at around 900+

i am using the Salifert kit

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

mine is even worse at around 900+

i am using the Salifert kit

I'm using Salifert kit too... 1140 the last time tested. I might want to switch back to Tropic Marin salt.

• SRC Member

mg also help in achieve an optimum growth of corals, not just coraline algaes. it helps in balance the ratio between ca and kh. if your mg is out of range (optimum range between 1250-1350ppm), you may difficult to balance the ratio between your ca and kh. In such case, we call ionic inbalance :)

age.png

• SRC Member
mg also help in achieve an optimum growth of corals, not just coraline algaes. it helps in balance the ratio between ca and kh. if your mg is out of range (optimum range between 1250-1350ppm), you may difficult to balance the ratio between your ca and kh. In such case, we call ionic inbalance :)

Since day one, my Ca and Kh is fine but the only issue is Mg! Had been dosing lots of Mg additives in order to maintain my Mg level! :angry:

For my case, I doubt the Mg is affected by the Ca & Kh!

• SRC Member

actaully IMO... MG, CA and KH all plays a part .....

from wat iknow .. if Mg is low .. it will affect ur KH which in returm affect ur CA...

cos when the KH i s low ... Ca can't dissolve in the water ...

• SRC Member

Since day one, my Ca and Kh is fine but the only issue is Mg! Had been dosing lots of Mg additives in order to maintain my Mg level! :angry:

For my case, I doubt the Mg is affected by the Ca & Kh!

if your mg is low... you got to find the source. why not check your saltmix. dosing of mg supplement is very expensive.

lester is right. mg is the one that help in balance the ratio between ca and kh. it does play an important role in our reef. many people forgot about it :)

by the way, what is your mg level.

the good range is between 1200-1350ppm

age.png

• SRC Member

if your mg is low... you got to find the source. why not check your saltmix. dosing of mg supplement is very expensive.

lester is right. mg is the one that help in balance the ratio between ca and kh. it does play an important role in our reef. many people forgot about it :)

by the way, what is your mg level.

the good range is between 1200-1350ppm

Initially, my Mg is below 1100ppm. I have been dosing Mg for close to 3 mths and finally, it stays within 1250ppm which I still not satisfy.

Bobian, I bought 2 bucket of Aqua Medic Reef salt and need to finish it 1st before switching to Marine Environment! ;)