Seahorse

derf

• SRC Member

Thanks fred,

i think i saw it in last sat classifieds. total set wif 2 seahorses $349. (addresse was in seletar)

- its just throwing money away?i think rip off. Its targeted for the public- & those with no SW knowledge(which is the targeted audience anyway) will just be looking at the deaths of their cute seahorses in a couple of months.

The tank u see is a 1.5ft glass tank with a 15watt FL tube & a very small overhead filter(abt 5cmx15cm). Tank retails in the LFS at abt $130 to $140.

Maybe upcoming aquarama u may see those setups-

build one yourself for $150 & u can have 6 horses+2 fishes.

My horses

Mine is a 24"x12"x18" ,lighted by a 15w FL 7200k,some macro algae,small air skimmer, & home built bio-filter from acrylic(overflow design-4"x9"x16") to compensate for the bio-load. Total 11 seahorses+1 yellow goby + 1 6line wrasse for clean up. SH fed mainly fed live shrimp(range from 1mm-5mm),supplemented by frozen mysis,frozen & live brine shrimp. Fed 2-3 times a day.

live shrimp & mysis make a lot of diff in nutrition- as to a diet of brine shrimps because of the fatty acids that the shrimp posses,- as u can see in the close ups, mostly all are round bodied in my tank. Some SH just won't eat enough.- as yet i couldn't raise the first brood cause of plankton size food constraint. BBS doesn't work cause too big.

• SRC Member
What kind of food were you providing it??? :blink:

I have other fishes in the tank also.. Maybe its my Damsels that's disturbing them.. I feed them with plankton tablets (soaked and fed, not whole tablet) at night, when all the rest Zzzing.. Dunn dare to try supermarket shrimps cause ppl say it's very toxic to the water..

• SRC Member

TanGo- as far as i know, i've never seen of any SH eating dry foods?

neither from any US or german sites & espeacially not from anyone in SG so far. If yours do- treasure them cause its a gem.

Most u see in LFS are wild....very few are captive bred. Cheaper to get wild ones($$$$ that's the bottom line here with traders ain't it?)

Mostly captive bred specimens are sold in the states where there are a couple of farms.

Its already hard enough to get wild SH to eat frozen foods- some will take it immediately but some won't & just go on a hunger strike.

FYI- Reborn don't feed his horses, sealife feeds frozen brine & mysis.

Kwang feeds tiny baby feeders(guppies/mollies).

i think pac marine feeds brine cause they bring in brazilian species(& they surely won't let them waste away).Brazilian reds(could be H.reidi but i'm not sure)are $40 each.

If you think that your seahorse not eating- try the smallest FW feeder shrimps u can find(3mm-5mm).- its a sure hit, then slowly turn them to frozen mysis.

Try to watch your tank when u feed- i think maybe if u feed frozen, your other fishes will wallop the food leaving your horses with very little or next to nothing.

• SRC Member
TanGo- as far as i know, i've never seen of any SH eating dry foods?

neither from any US or german sites & espeacially not from anyone in SG so far. If yours do- treasure them cause its a gem.

Most u see in LFS are wild....very few are captive bred. Cheaper to get wild ones($$$$ that's the bottom line here with traders ain't it?)

Mostly captive bred specimens are sold in the states where there are a couple of farms.

Its already hard enough to get wild SH to eat frozen foods- some will take it immediately but some won't & just go on a hunger strike.

FYI- Reborn don't feed his horses, sealife feeds frozen brine & mysis.

Kwang feeds tiny baby feeders(guppies/mollies).

i think pac marine feeds brine cause they bring in brazilian species(& they surely won't let them waste away).Brazilian reds(could be H.reidi but i'm not sure)are $40 each.

If you think that your seahorse not eating- try the smallest FW feeder shrimps u can find(3mm-5mm).- its a sure hit, then slowly turn them to frozen mysis.

Try to watch your tank when u feed- i think maybe if u feed frozen, your other fishes will wallop the food leaving your horses with very little or next to nothing.

Ok.. I've actually ordered a brine shrimp hatchery device from the states.. Will try again after I ensure that the hatchery works..

Hong Leong sells it too...I think I bought it @ $28...some German brand. After buying nvr bothered to hatch BS liao...as the LFS sells them now.

And dun koe why my Seahorses dun eat live/ frozen shrimp. :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

Hi A...

2 feet is okie though some may feel its a little small.

Height...the taller the better for seahorses....to mate...etc.

Air bubble filter? Not too sure wats that...but generally no air bubbles in seahorse tanks pls...will cos gas bloating in the males!

And ps...if u r a beginner...pls pls read up more...sea horses r real beautiful n mystifying but diff for the beginner!

Below links may help :) :

http://www.seahorse.org/

http://www.seahorses.de/

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now