tanks

ivor

• SRC Member

hey guys out there!!

anyone know where to customise tanks? 4feet by 2 feet by 2feet or 2.5feet?

price?

and as im new to marine, wads a SUMP? is it a must for all marine? thanks a million..!

Buying 2x2x2 tank cabinet with sump :) pm me!

• SRC Member

hi i think you posted in the wrong forum but no worries we were all "newbies" once b4 :lol:

mod can help to shift thread :thanks:

sump is for storage of equipment such as skimmer, return pump, chiller pump, as well as mechanical filtration (putting of wool to trap debris leaving the main tank).

this is a link showing the compartmentalized sump, look for diagram

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/plumbingmarart.htm

there are many pros for sump, the main thing is integrating the pumps and skimmer in the marine system while at the same time leaving them out of the main/display tank. they can be rather messy and become an eyesore, if put in the tank itself. :pinch:

but it is not a MUST to have a sump, many examples of successful marine tanks w/o, but since you are setting up a 4ft then might as well do it well; the sump way

here are some links that may help u in this hobby:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3141

all the best

p.s i hope u know what you are getting into, this hobby is beautiful, rewarding as it is expensive, time consuming and sometimes downright frustrating. Its what you make of it :peace:

• SRC Member
hi i think you posted in the wrong forum but no worries we were all "newbies" once b4 :lol:

mod can help to shift thread :thanks:

sump is for storage of equipment such as skimmer, return pump, chiller pump, as well as mechanical filtration (putting of wool to trap debris leaving the main tank).

this is a link showing the compartmentalized sump, look for diagram

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/plumbingmarart.htm

there are many pros for sump, the main thing is integrating the pumps and skimmer in the marine system while at the same time leaving them out of the main/display tank. they can be rather messy and become an eyesore, if put in the tank itself. :pinch:

but it is not a MUST to have a sump, many examples of successful marine tanks w/o, but since you are setting up a 4ft then might as well do it well; the sump way

here are some links that may help u in this hobby:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3141

all the best

p.s i hope u know what you are getting into, this hobby is beautiful, rewarding as it is expensive, time consuming and sometimes downright frustrating. Its what you make of it :peace:

yeah.. thanks man..! i wanted to start long time ago. but must have enuff funds and time man.. haha.. need more advises from u guys. i intend to keep clown sea horse and clams.

• SRC Member

yeah.. thanks man..! i wanted to start long time ago. but must have enuff funds and time man.. haha.. need more advises from u guys. i intend to keep clown sea horse and clams.

ok clams need lots of light so i think for a 4 ft you should be looking at 2x 250w mh, supplemented by t5, then due to the heat generated you gotta get an adequate chiller, teco and artica are gd chillers but are in the region of $1500-2000 for your tank, cheaper alternative would be a resun chiller, made in china i think.

clams also need lots of calcium, so calcium reactor (CR) could be in your list, if not you can add in additives weekly like i do to save on the CR. :rolleyes:

seahorse well i have no experience, but i know that they are really delicate and mostly are picky eaters, only live brine shrimp, although some will feed on frozen but i think they are a minority... :heh:

• SRC Member

ok clams need lots of light so i think for a 4 ft you should be looking at 2x 250w mh, supplemented by t5, then due to the heat generated you gotta get an adequate chiller, teco and artica are gd chillers but are in the region of $1500-2000 for your tank, cheaper alternative would be a resun chiller, made in china i think.

clams also need lots of calcium, so calcium reactor (CR) could be in your list, if not you can add in additives weekly like i do to save on the CR. :rolleyes:

seahorse well i have no experience, but i know that they are really delicate and mostly are picky eaters, only live brine shrimp, although some will feed on frozen but i think they are a minority... :heh:

hahha.. oki. thanks fongster..! helpful guy.. :D thanks alot man.. but im still in the midst of doing research.. any idea where to get custom made tanks? 4 by 2 by 2.

am too looking for second hand chiller? how to create a SUMP? or can buy?

• SRC Member
if you are looking for second hand tanks you can get here.. the bros here norm sell with sump at reasonal prices... do check for leakage or cracks though...

yupz. thanks! :D

• SRC Member
ivor:

can get tanks made at aqua marine at jalan kayu.

if you want super thick glass i got a number can pm you if interested. thick glass like 20mm makes the tank look rather "zai" n solid

:whistle

wads the range like?

if base on 4x2x2

• SRC Member

wads the range like?

if base on 4x2x2

i think you would be looking at >$1000+ for 4 ft tank with wooden cabinet and sump, but it adds to the look rather than just an aluminium stand(which btw is also not cheap), some of the reefers also have "built into wall" tanks

real nice !! :bow:

the sump should not cost much, you dun really need a sump as big as your main tank unless you want to have a refugium or dsb

actually a 4x2x2 is quite a standard size, can consider getting second hand to cut costs...

so while you do your research then you also monitor the pasar malam forum.

or any bro out there wanna sell 4x2x2 to ivor.... :phone:

• SRC Member

i think you would be looking at >$1000+ for 4 ft tank with wooden cabinet and sump, but it adds to the look rather than just an aluminium stand(which btw is also not cheap), some of the reefers also have "built into wall" tanks

real nice !! :bow:

the sump should not cost much, you dun really need a sump as big as your main tank unless you want to have a refugium or dsb

actually a 4x2x2 is quite a standard size, can consider getting second hand to cut costs...

so while you do your research then you also monitor the pasar malam forum.

or any bro out there wanna sell 4x2x2 to ivor.... :phone:

actually.. i dun need any stand. i got a custom made stand at home already. so just looking for a 4x2x2 tank as im upgrading from 4x1.5x1.5 . anyone inst in buying my old tank?? :lol::lol: