where to get seawater for aquarium use

tan

going to start another marine tank but previous experience of using marine salt in the market is both costly and need longer time for bacterial to built up.just anyone can give advice on which part of singapore can we obtain seawater that is suitable for aquarium use.preferably can attach maps of sketches

Towards the end of Pongol where the Catholic Seminary,Marriage Engaged Encounter and Outwards bound. there is stretch of beach where the water is crystal clear. no sign of any algae and you can see the bottom from 2 meters. try there but is really ulu.

thks guys... ;) heard that when extreme low tide somewhere near tanah merah ferry terminal can see coral reefs wonder if seawater there suitable?since reefs can form up there....bty i'm starting a reef tank.anyone noe about that place? can provide more info?

• SRC Member

as you said near a ferry terminal, so it is not advisable, i think its more likely you will see a layer of oil ontop of the water.

For seawater you can get it at about $3 from the bukit purmei for about 25 litres? compared to synthetic salt this is considered cheap. they collect from deep sea so it is better there than compared to self collection, no doubt free(sort of) but with questionable quality

hope this helps

wat abt labrador park? when low tide, can see coral reefs too.

once i was there jogging wif my wife in the morning. its was low tide then, i saw 3 young ladies pushing market trolleys wif full of empty 5L containers in it.

Saw them walking down to the waters trying to fill them up.

Iwarna sells natural seawater (abbrev. NSW) at S$2.00 per jerry can (20 litres). The water (apparently) is cleaner since they draw it from the deeper areas and they filter the water. Well, that's what they claim but it's still better than going to some beach and scoop seawater. :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• 4 weeks later...
Can any bros out there adv me where can i buy seawater besides Iwarna? In cases of emergency. Saw 1 of the bros here mentioned bukit prumei in one of the threads. Is there a LFS shop at bukit prumei???  :thanks:

Ya there's a LFS at Blk 110 Bukit Purmei Road not sure if it sells NSW thou.. :D

• SRC Member

tanah merah terminal is a good place.. the lfs also get their water from there.. the big drains nearby are good enuff no need to go to the terminal itself.. :)

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member
tanah merah terminal is a good place.. the lfs also get their water from there.. the big drains nearby are good enuff no need to go to the terminal itself.. :)

getting water yourself? .. your house got a water filtration system is it? :lol: .. I believe even if the water form LFS are from there, they still go through a filtration system before selling it to you... am I right?

Let say even if you depend on your puny RO/DI, its gonna cost more because it can't take huge volume of water. Its gonna be costly to change the media.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

getting water yourself? .. your house got a water filtration system is it? :lol: .. I believe even if the water form LFS are from there, they still go through a filtration system before selling it to you... am I right?

Let say even if you depend on your puny RO/DI, its gonna cost more because it can't take huge volume of water. Its gonna be costly to change the media.

thats what you'd like to think isn't it?? Am I right??

you DON'T KNOW for sure.. and for sure the LFS's are not going to tell you..

it could be a scare tactic.. I don't know also :P

but when you are free.. just take a drive there.. and watch and learn (rmbr to follow when they are done) and do tell us how the water is filtered :lol:

so what makes natural seawater so unnatural that it has to go thru LFS before it becomes natural?? :blink::ph34r:

btw I'm not poking fun at you I'm seriously asking.. coz I followed them 1 day (coz I work near there and they go the same way as me home).. :) guess the rest you can find out when you do the above !! :lol:

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

I dunno.. everytime I go to the sea its always yellowish water.. haven't seen clear water in Singapore before.

anyway its not about cheap but cutting cost where it should be cut. RODI filters ain't cheap compared to synthetic salt.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
Seriously, if getting yr tank filled w quality natural seawater or thru synthetic salt mix is still too expensive, then better dont start in the first place. This hobby is not cheap any way.

better don save on water change if not wait your fish die then spend more money..and btw... agreed with tigger this hobby is not cheap...

spurge alot on chiller, tunzes, lights, electric and also salt...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
I dunno.. everytime I go to the sea its always yellowish water.. haven't seen clear water in Singapore before.

anyway its not about cheap but cutting cost where it should be cut. RODI filters ain't cheap compared to synthetic salt.

hi .. give me a tinker .. bring you to the place where water CRYSTAL CLEAR !! :lol:

very surprised when I collected my grade #000's sand :P

btw .. sand black in color .. pple pay top $$$ for this sand I think :yeah:

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

hi .. give me a tinker .. bring you to the place where water CRYSTAL CLEAR !! :lol:

very surprised when I collected my grade #000's sand :P

btw .. sand black in color .. pple pay top $$$ for this sand I think :yeah:

I should one day.. coz I never ever seen clear waters around Singapore before.. except for fresh tap water.. ;)

Always see green, yellow, brown or rubbish dump waters.. :sick:

• SRC Member

hey,

hmm. i was at pasir ris fishing at night... when the tide was high the water is exceptionally clear.. there are little sotongs swimming around too.. but quality wise not too sure lar. in the dau can can see kelongs and big ships moving pass haha