My FIRST SPS!!!

Hi guys

As you all know... I am still quite new in the hobby... and due to my optimistic nature, bought a piece of very nice SPS yesterday (the Tonga shipment).

I am already doing some research and reading... but the amount of information is just too immense and sometimes conflicting and long-winded.

Can any experienced and kind soul give me a some pointers so that I can avoid all the newbies mistakes... this specimen is so gorgeous, I must keep it alive... that's my responsibility :)

Many :thanks: in advance :bow:

post-22-1146275200.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

You are placing it in this way?

IMO, no flow in the bottom par and will result in STN due to flow.

Why not use epoxy or super glue gel to stick it.

It requires high flow and mid to high light. Its nice to see it initially but the light paster pink colour will becomes abit dark later on due to our nutrient level in our tank. ;)

You are placing it in this way?

IMO, no flow in the bottom par and will result in STN due to flow.

Why not use epoxy or super glue gel to stick it.

It requires high flow and mid to high light. Its nice to see it initially but the light paster pink colour will becomes abit dark later on due to our nutrient level in our tank. ;)

I've added a Tunze Mini near it to increase water flow through it. Lighting wise, I think should be sufficient.

One problem though... the pink is disappearing... revealing a whitish branch instead... I think I am in deep xxxx! :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

:cry2: Very soon... I will be know as "Jervis, the Birdsnest killer" :cry2:

• SRC Member

Thats a nice piece.!

Yes agree with RP, about the high random flow and mid to high light. It may be a good idea to acclimatize the fella to high light. The piece I have is a different type from yours and and for the first few weeks, it started by browning out and the tips got light burned, before getting better. Yours look so fine and delicate, so be careful.

Sometimes they encrust, sometimes they don't. But once secured, they grow much better.

What are you providing for it? besides the tunze mini..

• SRC Member
I've added a Tunze Mini near it to increase water flow through it. Lighting wise, I think should be sufficient.

One problem though... the pink is disappearing... revealing a whitish branch instead... I think I am in deep xxxx! :unsure:

How far away did you place the Tunze? Too near and it might blow the coral tissue off...

What are your water parameters? Setup details?

:cry2: Gone :cry2:

Maybe I will attempt SPS again 1 year later or so...

• SRC Member
:cry2: Gone :cry2:

looking at your parameters from your signature you should be able to start SPS. (maybe a bit more attention on your water quality... eg: mg, PO4, etc) and you got the basic equipments also.

What I think you probably started on the wrong foot.. ;) IMO birdnest are not for beginners, it need high lights and good flow.

I suggest you try out some of the easier SPS... eg: digitata, montipora cap. Look out for reefers selling these SPS frags and try them out.

Over time you will gain experience and knowledge (maybe equipment upgrade along the way .. :P ) by then you may want to try other SPSs.

CHEERS!

• SRC Member
:cry2:  Gone  :cry2:

The number of days or years will not say anything to able to keep sps or not.

In fact alot of reefer have been mislead in the past that thinking the older your tank then the more stable and suitable for sps. But in fact if you want to have SPS the earlier you get your equipments and water param correct or earlier you run zeovit the better it is.

Equipments and water param is the keys to get your sps going. If you really very interested into sps, can consider looking in zeovit which already proven it work.

This is kinda ironic as I picked up my Tonga Pink Birdnest more two weeks ago and boy... there were lots of Reefers waiting to pounce on this Wild one and fortunately I had the longest arm!! :yeah:

This picture was taken under a NO 10,000K and Super Actinic Flurescent tubes way before the 250's were activated. Right now it's sitting at the bottom and getting it acclimatised to the lighting before gradually moving it slowly up the Mid to Upper section.

By the way what do you guys feed your SPS? Do you use DT Phytoplankton or do you culture your own Phyto and if so what's the Phosphate level reading from the Cultured Phyto??

Thanks Reefers.

post-22-1146757181.jpg

Nice piece. :)

SPS don't feed on phypto. Phyptoplanton is "plant-life". They prefer tiny 'meaty' animals, like zooplankton.

Sorry...what was I thinking about? What I'd intended to say was the use of D T Oyster Eggs. What do you guys usually use to feed your SPS...things like products that you get locally?

:thanks: in advance!!

• 1 month later...

They are one of the superbly beautiful piece mother ocean give us, we manage to get them here in BKK but due to too long transportation we loose all of it, I witness its beauty before we lost it.....

Well, My humble addition here is the general acclimination protocol. Let it rest with good water flow and not bash it under too intense light. Make sure not to shock them with light and not too stress them.

According to the book, BN seems to be in more protected area of the reef, under other coral colonies, and in nooks and overhangs where both lighting and current are lower. IMO They're sensitive to poor water quality more than Acro spcies I assum since the shipment included some Acro were able to made it but BN slought all their tissue. Once establish, they shold be one of the hardy.

GOOD LUCK! :D