DIY 3 stage DI unit

shootsimon

• SRC Member

Can try testing it with the PO4 test kit. I haven''t got time to check that but have gather some info some time back that it does. But please don't take my words as I might have heard it wrongly. :lol:

• SRC Member
Can try testing it with the PO4 test kit. I haven''t got time to check that but have gather some info some time back that it does. But please don't take my words as I might have heard it wrongly. :lol:

Need to purchase those silicate test kit to verify! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
i saw that on sale at carrefour some time back leh... but it looks so small I doubt how well (or how much) it can purify the water...

dun think it is meant for big volume of water lah.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Juz curious when can the resin remove silicate from tap water?

Have tested it with Silifert PO4 test kit and the reading is Oppm. So I guess it does removes silicate.

• SRC Member

it's for tap water.. not salt water... so you purify your tap water then only use the purified water to mix with store bought sea salt mix to get your salt water..

Just a side note... do you think this can be used for my freshwater planted tank as well?? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
it's for tap water.. not salt water... so you purify your tap water then only use the purified water to mix with store bought sea salt mix to get your salt water..

Just a side note... do you think this can be used for my freshwater planted tank as well?? :rolleyes:

You can but planted tank still need some of the minerals from our water source. You can add a T off and a valve control before the 3rd stage Resin so your water still has the essential minerals in it. You can also use that as drinking water :lol:

• SRC Member
thks bro,btw can anyone give advice on setup of a reef sump.have seen alot and diff type of sumps but just wonder which is the best.fyi my main tank is 3feet

There are many proven designs of sump but if you want the best, its all up to you if you can maintain it at its best. There is no maintainance free sump or so call best sump. There is only responsible reefer or irresponsible reefer. :P

Have you check out this section

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

You might get some idea there or can view members showcases :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all

We are doing a DIY session on the RI unit this Saturday.There are still 2 seats available as 2 people have aeroplane us.

If you are interested to join us or take the DIY set, you can contact shootsimon for detail or you can also view the information on the Bulk Order forum

The set will cost about 100 dollar compare to a new set in market costing about 275.

:lol:

• SRC Member

Hi guys! some updates of new mods to the DI unit to prevent rust within the unit :D

Found out only last night :D

Was changing the media and noticed that the air release screw is rusty :blink:

Was thinking should I just remove the entire machinesim and seal it with silicon or expoxy, but find it troublesum and it involves some extra cost.

Next idea was to replace the screw with plastic ones. That too will incure some cost too.

Last I came up with a solution. But this only applies to those who do not intend to permenently fix the outlets to your home pipings. If so best solution is to get the screw changed to plastic ones. Its because you'll need to let some air in so to open the filter housing. Think you can get them at Kelantan lane :D

Attached are pics show the mod :lol:

This is the air release button.

post-9-1152965146.jpg