SPS with Clown Goby

Clown gobies are generally reef safe, but not SPS safe. They clear the tissue on the SPS such that they can lay their eggs on the exposed part of the SPS skeleton. They continue to peck on SPS even when they are not breeding. It's a habit I guess.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• Moderators

You manage to catch them?

What I did was to put their favourite staghorn into a clear plastic bag with the opening in their view. Good thing the staghorn has not been encrust onto the rock.

After an hour+, they decided to go back to that Staghorn and that how I manage to "trap" them.

Tom

You manage to catch them?

What I did was to put their favourite staghorn into a clear plastic bag with the opening in their view. Good thing the staghorn has not been encrust onto the rock.

After an hour+, they decided to go back to that Staghorn and that how I manage to "trap" them.

oh... i took the whole tabletop midway near to the water surface. place my fish net below of the table top (the fella still stay with the table top, didnt escape). bring the table top n net together out from water... (and this fella remain in the net)! :evil:

• 8 months later...
  • SRC Member

I have a green clown goby...came in as a hitchhiker fish on a large acropora coral. I had the fish since the Summer of 2005 and has not caused problems for me....goes from coral to coral. Really cool fish.

If you look closely at the green acro below, you will see my little green clown goby.

coralupdatenov06156.jpg

Depends on luck sometimes as to how much damage they cause... I used to have one that only kills Millis... all my other corals are left untouched. One day I just took out its home with it inside and dumped the little bugger in the sump where it now resides all by itself. BTW mine is not a clown goby. It's a unicolor gobbiodon but from the shape, looks like same species.