purple queen: Mission impossible?

• SRC Member

purple queen? thanks but no thanks....

this is the general response that i get from fellow hobblists when i raise the question of rearing purple queen...

anyone has any ideas or tips to share???

let me kickstart it...

slow acclimation... around 1 hr...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

I mange to keep them for a few month... and notice they're not really suitable for my tank due to the following:

1.) They like dark sheltered area, this support the evident they probably love to show up at night.

2.) They do not like surge area, they prefer clamer area.

3.) They are so shy not want to show up when other fish around

4.) They seems to love live/fresh food and scavenge plankton more than artificial

5.) IMO, I think they do need a species tank

I've put them togehter with other Anthias in only Anthias thank, eventhough they can not make it so long...

PIC in the memorial of them.

• SRC Member

Same here, all my 14 purple queen died at my hand after around 2~3 months time.

They don't fare well in competition. When all the other fishes in the feeding fenzy mood, they will hide in LR.

Thus, they are more suited to less agressive and slow tank. They can't complete with fast fishes like barletts and group of tangs(my case).

And yes, mine is feeding since day 1 but very little, not getting enough to sustain them. Hence actually they're starved to death. :cry:

• SRC Member

ho ho, my suggestion is to feed them a lot alot :P

but the downside is to keep an eagle eye on the water, change change change more frequently....

that is how my 5 purple are with me for 1 mth...

keeping my fingers crossed

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• Moderators

My record is abt 6 months before they suddenly decided to die on me.

They respond very well to the ebiko(shrimp roe). But this is quite ex for feeding fish. You can get them from Cold Storage or Shop&Save.

Take like 1/4 spoonful each time from the container depending on numbers of fishes. Just flush them with water coz they are pre-seasoned with salt.

Just sharing. I also find the feed good for other picky fishes as well.

Note: is Ebiko not Tobikko which is bigger. Can try Tobikko for bigger fishes.

Tom

• SRC Member

Wat about mopiko? can try?

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
My record is abt 6 months before they suddenly decided to die on me.

They respond very well to the ebiko(shrimp roe). But this is quite ex for feeding fish. You can get them from Cold Storage or Shop&Save.

Take like 1/4 spoonful each time from the container depending on numbers of fishes. Just flush them with water coz they are pre-seasoned with salt.

Just sharing. I also find the feed good for other picky fishes as well.

Note: is Ebiko not Tobikko which is bigger. Can try Tobikko for bigger fishes.

yes i oso used prawn roe.. (abt $6.50 per pack) ... managed to keep 4 purple queens for abt 1 yr ... then they started taking some of the kent xtreme pallets ... they died when i was overseas n the ..cking china made dymax pump failed

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• Moderators

Mopiko??? ointment izit? haha... not sure leh.. waz it?

Anyway, Bro Dazza pointed to a important part. If the constant feeding suddenly stop when u go overseas or due to work commitment.

The fish will suffer and died even it is in your tank for months.

Tom

• Moderators

Currently I'm feeding my fishes with ML food for a while liao. All the fishes are eating it including the tiger queen anthias(another picky fish like purple queen). Get the one with spirulina.. got more smaller bits which the queen anthias like to pick on.

Tom

• SRC Member
Currently I'm feeding my fishes with ML food for a while liao. All the fishes are eating it including the tiger queen anthias(another picky fish like purple queen). Get the one with spirulina.. got more smaller bits which the queen anthias like to pick on.

I got both Henry's food. Is the green or orange one you are refering to?