Why do Reefers quit?

asg

why you/ reefer quit?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. why you/ reefer quit?

• no time (work, home, personal, etc)
    • not enough money ($ better spend elsewhere)
    • lack of support (from family)
    • overseas posting/ shifting
    • no longer interested/ interest fade
    • reefing is tiring/ give up/ it is not what i expected
    • fish/ coral/ everything keeps mati-ing
    • other reason

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Supporter

Just want to add that as more and more hobbies are made available with technology, reefing is facing tough competition...

I dont think there is any competition between hobbies, its just a personal interest up to individual. Reefers have reefed for a long ass time with and without technology advancement. Its the passion.

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

I dont think there is any competition between hobbies, its just a personal interest up to individual. Reefers have reefed for a long ###### time with and without technology advancement. Its the passion.

Time and money is a limited resouce for most ppl ah. Maybe one day you will reach the age when u find that spending 4 hours on golf is much more interesting than on reef...

Time and money is a limited resouce for most ppl ah. Maybe one day you will reach the age when u find that spending 4 hours on golf is much more interesting than on reef...

Won't deny that. Its all up to an individual and how one prioritises things in their life.

I have the chance to speak to many reefers, made many friends and seen some decom and even come back again, stronger than before.

Personally, I have been keeping marine aquariums for many years with some break in between and starting from a simple fowlr juwel tank to my current setup from reef systems. I feel that the only limit in yourself and there are times when I get fed up when things just won't go my way but end of the day I decided to sit back and think of ways to solve the problem from the root, instead of buying snake oil solutions. I feel that there must be a certain understanding in the product you are buying before one can make conclusions about its effectiveness on their own setup.

After all, its your own hobby and how successful you are is really how much you decide to put in. There is no hard and fast rule to things and things wouldn't change overnight.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Won't deny that. Its all up to an individual and how one prioritises things in their life.

I have the chance to speak to many reefers, made many friends and seen some decom and even come back again, stronger than before.

Personally, I have been keeping marine aquariums for many years with some break in between and starting from a simple fowlr juwel tank to my current setup from reef systems. I feel that the only limit in yourself and there are times when I get fed up when things just won't go my way but end of the day I decided to sit back and think of ways to solve the problem from the root, instead of buying snake oil solutions. I feel that there must be a certain understanding in the product you are buying before one can make conclusions about its effectiveness on their own setup.

After all, its your own hobby and how successful you are is really how much you decide to put in. There is no hard and fast rule to things and things wouldn't change overnight.

Agreed. Money and time aside, i think the next important thing is support from family members.

• SRC Supporter

Well like I said, it's up to the individual, where their passion lies, how determined they are, etc.

I have also been an avid golfer for the past 6 years, funny I don't find myself spending 4 hours to complete a game. Maybe I should slow down and appreciate the scenery abit:D

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

I started 7 years ago, due to the heat given out from my chiller and algae need to be clean very often. Lost the patient and change to keeping aro.

Recently found that fowlr dun need chiller and converting my tank to Fowler again.

Love thus forum that always got ppl help, buy, sell and guide.

• SRC Member

Well like I said, it's up to the individual, where their passion lies, how determined they are, etc.

I have also been an avid golfer for the past 6 years, funny I don't find myself spending 4 hours to complete a game. Maybe I should slow down and appreciate the scenery abit:D

Indeed golfing and reefing has many things in common... both burn money faster than fire...

• SRC Member

Agreed. Disease and die of fish is one big negative point in this hobby...

Imho, sick n death is part of parcel of life, be it fish n human..Always look on the bright side n b happy living n reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Just the passion died and finding reason to decom...

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

We are living in a stressful country and when the time come for us to have different priority in life like babies or marriage, we just have to let go.

meeting wrong people in the hobby, too much politics.

This I don't understand. It a hobby we like, so why does it matter if we meet the wrong people. If Not happy just stay away from them. No need to give up the hobby.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Fowlr tanks are just as beautiful, they face equally challenging problems like ich and marine velvet.

I would go full fowlr if i ever decomm my current tank.....no disgrace nor anything wrong with it...just different people with different views and thinking.

I Love Stagsss

To me I feel that fowlr tank are tougher to upkeep. Any simple ich outbreak can wipe out the entire tank. As compared to reef tank aefw for example do allow u to have some times to address it. So there really isn't anything disgrace whatsoever keeping a fowlr. Infact I have been asking my friends for help and advise when I have ich and velvet issue. There's always something corals keeper and fishes only keeper can learn from each other. Both are master in their own strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

This I don't understand. It a hobby we like, so why does it matter if we meet the wrong people. If Not happy just stay away from them. No need to give up the hobby.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

because some people will feeel that if you are not with them, you are against them. and when you want to be with them you got to follow them, and not everybody can afford it. that is how some people got no choice but to decom after.

if everyone could respect each other, then we could grow the hobby together.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

the most beautiful fowlr tank that I have ever came across was the huge display tank at TFC. whenever I go there, I will spend at least an hour drooling over the fishes inside............ :yahoo:

• SRC Member

the most beautiful fowlr tank that I have ever came across was the huge display tank at TFC. whenever I go there, I will spend at least an hour drooling over the fishes inside............ :yahoo:

It's a waste that it crashed due to electrical failure.