hair algae

• SRC Member

my tank has been cycled for 5 weeks, there are quite abit of long hair algae. They are concentrated on 2 or 3 rocks. should I leave them alone? my water parameter are ok, all are as good as zero, phosphate also 0.

fishes and coral looks good.

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

• SRC Member
my tank has been cycled for 5 weeks, there are quite abit of long hair algae. They are concentrated on 2 or 3 rocks. should I leave them alone? my water parameter  are ok, all are as good as zero, phosphate also 0.

fishes and coral looks good.

it could be the problem of the flow...it is insufficient since u sae tt ur po4 is 0...

try to increase the flow at the area tt the algae is growing...

another issue is the long duration of lightings..

jus my opinion..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

If its just on those two rocks then, the rocks are leaching out nutrients(plant fertilizer) from within onto its surfaces. The moment you blast some light... plants and algae appears before long. Those two rocks are nutrient loaded. It is best to have them removed from the tank altogether and just use the remaining.

thanks, now it seem to spread, so how?

Hey minireef,

Algae outbreaks are typical of new tanks, when water parameters and flow are not yet stabilized and controlled. Even older tanks may get a small outbreak of two when there is death.

Key thing is that it should go away IF you continue to keep water parameters down (make sure your test kits are done properly) esp nitrates and phosphates, ensure enough flow. One way to stop micro-algae would be to use a UV sterilizer, but it is not recommended for new tanks like yours.

Algae-eaters would also help, eg turbos, sea hare, lawnmover, etc. Patience, and lots of care.

I have some Hair Algae too... alongside others... what are the obvious disadvantages of having them (besides the fact that they can be unsightly... which is a subjective view IMO)?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Algae-eaters would also help, eg turbos, sea hare, lawnmover, etc. Patience, and lots of care.

Both Turbo snail & lawnmover blenny don't eat hair aglae.

Sea hare does.

*Beware: Sea hare nuke warfare if attack by other LS. Also those big ones knocks over more corals then you can image compare to turbo snail.

Here's a link for your reading pleasure.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
thanks, now it seem to spread, so how?

How bad is it? Some ppl don't mind some algae, some do.. depends on your liking. Depending on what you keep too, if FO algae is ok, if not then not so good. If you don't like it, you could 'cook' your rocks... do a search on rock cooking in RC.

• SRC Member
I have some Hair Algae too... alongside others... what are the obvious disadvantages of having them (besides the fact that they can be unsightly... which is a subjective view IMO)?

Jervis,

All algae leak. If you do a search on google on 'algae leak' and you can find out what they leak. Besides that, they also trap detritus and cause them to decompose, releasing nutrients, fueling their own needs to grow further....+ a whole lot more reasons too long to explain.... in short, they're are not good. Not for a reef-tank with corals, esp sensitive corals.

Jervis,

All algae leak. If you do a search on google on 'algae leak' and you can find out what they leak. Besides that, they also trap detritus and cause them to decompose, releasing nutrients, fueling their own needs to grow further....+ a whole lot more reasons too long to explain.... in short, they're are not good. Not for a reef-tank with corals, esp sensitive corals.

Thanks bro... I will read more on this issue... anyway my algae is not out-of-control yet... I am trying to starve them :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
How about dosing with the Hair Algae Killer solution that is sold in some LFS? Will that affect the water condition drastically?

You mean those sold in FW LFS, right?

No advisable. It's safer to get AZ NO3 and PO4 solution

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png