ATI Twister M Protein Skimmer

jervismun

Hi guys

Yes as usual... the Guinea Pig is back... this time bigger than ever... bought an in-sump skimmer for my future tank (a tank that hasn't even been built) ;)

I am way too excited by this product... me being a true follower of ATI lighting products... now this BABY :yeah::yeah::yeah:

As my tank is not yet ready... (still finalizing the design actually)... there's no easy way for me to test this baby... well... as creative as I am (or pretend to be) I will find some ways of really putting this baby to tests :lol:

As this is my first skimmer product review... I will be doing lots of research along the way and will be linking lots of sites and researches for further reading... of course contributions from experienced reefers are much much appreciated...

Now... lets get the ball rolling :lol::lol::lol:

Pix: Finally in the safety of my home... I am so afraid AquaMarin will sell my baby to other reefers as I was told a few reefers are actually keen in getting it :nc:

post-14-1154086954.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep on mentioning BABY... this beauty is actually not that tiny... here's a pix that will be able to give you a sense of scale with my Black iPod inside the collection cup :lol:

In clear plexiglass...

Pipe diameter 200mm, surface area 220 x 340 mm

post-14-1154087275.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

eh...sorry where the provision for the feeder pump?

hmm.. i think this unit no need feeder pump. . its only in-sump izzit?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

hmm.. i think this unit no need feeder pump. . its only in-sump izzit?

Bingo! It is an in-sump model :lol: I am trying to built a reservoir right now... hoping to see it in action :lol: Tested the pump just now and it is really really silent... as quiet (if not quieter) than a similar size Aquabee :eyebrow:

Will have to let it fully kick-in to be able to be certain... 1 impressive feature of this ATI pump is its low power consumption... only 11W... will discuss more about the pump and the Thread Wheel technology later :)

Will also try to quote Oliver.P (ATI's boss) :lol:

jervis. . your tank bio load not high enough. . can it bring out the full potential of this skimmer?

sld test it on my 6 footer with 45 fishes. :lol: jk. . .

i noe u are pretty excited now.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

jervis. . your tank bio load not high enough. . can it bring out the full potential of this skimmer?

sld test it on my 6 footer with 45 fishes. :lol: jk. . .

i noe u are pretty excited now.

Yes I am very excited... but too bad my tank is not yet ready... I might be transferring the Twister M to another reefer's tank to test it out... already PM the kind bro... waiting for his reply :lol:

Or maybe I can bring it back to AM to test :)

Bro Tigger

Since I do not have a sump to really put this guy to test... I shall compensate you guys by spending the next couple of hours talking about the pump :lol:

Introduction:

This is a very new pump ATI developed to replace the Eheim that Twister®M previously equipped with. So new that Oliver Pritzel (ATI's boss) only announced it at RiffAquaristikForum.de on 15 July 2006. It is called ATI A1500 :)

More to come...

post-14-1154095878.jpg

show thw thread wheel leh

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

According to Oliver, the ATI A1500 only consumes 11W (almost half of competitors' pumps) without compromising on performance. It produces up to 400l/h of air bubbles thanks to ATI's new invention... THREADWHEEL :)

Please note that the ATI Twister®M is only rated for up to 1000 liters :)

I will show you guys some close-up shots later...

post-14-1154096214.jpg

show thw thread wheel leh

Haha... patience my bro... :lol:

Once I unfasten the inlet cap, it reveals the THREADWHEEL... it's kinda mysterious looking :lol::lol::lol:

According to Oliver, ATI designed this pump to be extraordinarily quiet... almost not audible... thanks to another new technology breakthrough.

I shall touch on that technology later :)

post-14-1154096502.jpg

Slowly revealing the heart of the A1500... the THREADWHEEL... looks kinda bushy to me :lol:

I think it is made out of Black Nylon Mesh embedded/tied to the impeller :)

The New Technology:

According to ATI, they have a new generation of pumps without bearings. The impeller "floats" inside magnetic field and the thin film of water surrounds it. This way pump should be much quieter and makes much less friction inside. Thus the pump is more energy efficient.

Keywords:

• Quieter

• More energy efficient

• Less friction (I suppose this will create less heat)

So far so good about the pump huh? I know... the bubbles... well... I will find a way to test it out... a picture is better than a thousand words right? Yeah... I should know better :lol:

post-14-1154097199.jpg

I know this is getting a bit boring and dry... ok one last pix of the pump :)

So this is what a THREADWHEEL is all about... it looks kinda simple to me though... like some DIY product... I hope ATI patent this or else... anyone can produce an impeller like this :lol:

Some interesting information about this pump:

Originally, Eheim was the one producing the pump for ATI using ATI's THREADWHEEL technology. Later, Eheim decided to produce their own skimmer pumps (for the masses) using their own older technology, FLEECEWHEEL. So ATI ended up producing their own pumps and this ATI A1500 is the fruitful result... producing the same amount of bubbles consuming 1/4 of the energy required to run the previous Eheim (45W)

post-14-1154098144.jpg

I know that there's 1 HUGE question in your mind right now... why is THREADWHEEL better? Well... according to ATI... blah blah blah... of course they compare to conventional NEEDLEWHEEL (suddenly NEEDLEWHEEL becomes conventional :lol: technology changes so rapidly)... I think it's only convincing for me to show you guys some BUBBLES before claiming this and that... anyway I am not working for ATI or the LFS... so I have to stay neutral or else "kena" shoot upside down... inside out :(

I myself also need to see some bubbles here... <_<

Now that you have finally got the product, how much did this set you back by?

Bro

As replied to so many PMs these few days... AM bundled this skimmer together with a long list of equipments including the tank + sump + cabinet... so it's not fair for me (and AM) to just quote you a figure... they will announce price very soon (i heard)... I hope you understand my position :bow::bow::bow:

In order to keep you guys well informed of the product... I've done something not a lot of reefers would do :cry: I will be sending my BABY away for a week (at least) to let it run on another reefer's sump :cry2::cry2::cry2:

But I'm sure the sacrifice is well worth it as long as you guys continue to show interest and support in my product reviews (haha... definitely more products to come)

Still awaiting confirmation from the kind bro... will announce once I receive a confirmation :)

Surprise!!! Found a deep enough plastic container... manage to quickly do a salt mix and here we go... :lol::lol::lol:

ATI A1500 pump... running at 1500l/h (I suppose, need to verify)... producing 400l/h of bubbles... consuming 11W...

So based on our current high energy rate... this entire skimmer will cost me $1.50/month to run... 24/7 :heh: Sounds too good to be true... I must seek second opinion... can a kind reefer help confirm this?

Note that his is an in-sump model... slight disadvantage compared to a recirculating skimmer (I was told)... but more energy efficient as it doesn't require another feeding pump :)

post-14-1154106079.jpg