New Tank disaster

ange

Hi all,

Went to fish farm to check out marine fishes today. Apparently I was told by a branch in that area that all i need to do is buy water from them, and I am almost all set up for the marine tank.

Since it sounded so easy.. I bought water, 2 clown fishes and this invertebrate(something maru). Then I went to the other brance that sold tanks and wanted to buy a one feet tank, when I was there. this guy told me what i did was WRONG! I should do it slowly... step by step. marine fishes are different!

i was kind off upset by then... i knew I was suppose to do it step by step.... but...

anyway... i bought the tank, some amno and bio digest thing...

now... I think my invertebrate is dead....

what should I do now...

:(

• SRC Member

Well, firstly, black-list the shop u got the water from!!! Obviously they belong to the IRRESPONSIBLE category of merchants, so u have to watch wat u hear from them (or any other shop owners for that matter). Most of the stuff they say are meant for SELLING, not ADVISING...

Hmm since u bot the clowns already, i guess u might as well use them to cycle yr new tank (alternative would be to leave them with another person's tank until yr tank is ready)???

Get some basic stuff for yr new tank, like sand, sea salt, hydrometers to help u prepare yr tank for the fish...U can find more on how to do this here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...87bb84152143402

Its more for reef tank, but u never know when u might go into dat rite?

GOOD LUCK ;)

Well, firstly, black-list the shop u got the water from!!! Obviously they belong to the IRRESPONSIBLE category of merchants, so u have to watch wat u hear from them (or any other shop owners for that matter). Most of the stuff they say are meant for SELLING, not ADVISING...

Hmm since u bot the clowns already, i guess u might as well use them to cycle yr new tank (alternative would be to leave them with another person's tank until yr tank is ready)???

Get some basic stuff for yr new tank, like sand, sea salt, hydrometers to help u prepare yr tank for the fish...U can find more on how to do this here: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...87bb84152143402

Its more for reef tank, but u never know when u might go into dat rite?

GOOD LUCK ;)

Sorry to be ignorant... but i do not understand that posting at all....

• SRC Member
Hi all,

Went to fish farm to check out marine fishes today. Apparently I was told by a branch in that area that all i need to do is buy water from them, and I am almost all set up for the marine tank.

Since it sounded so easy.. I bought water, 2 clown fishes and this invertebrate(something maru). Then I went to the other brance that sold tanks and wanted to buy a one feet tank, when I was there. this guy told me what i did was WRONG! I should do it slowly... step by step. marine fishes are different!

i was kind off upset by then... i knew I was suppose to do it step by step.... but...

anyway... i bought the tank, some amno and bio digest thing...

now... I think my invertebrate is dead....

what should I do now...

:(

Wait, stop a moment. You've been lucky because clownfish are really hardy and the invert may not be dead yet. Ammonia(toxic stuff) will only spike(reach toxic levels) in a new tank after about 3 days and is one of hte most important things you need to prevent as it kills. Get a 1ft or 2ft tank, fill it up with the water you bought (don't use newly mixed saltwater, you need to mix it for a long time before it can be used) and pop in your clowns, as well as an air operated filter. Don't get any more sand or what ever. Can you check if your invert is really dead and what type is it? A pic would help.

Get a product called CYCLE by Nutrafin at most petshops. It comes in a small bottle and sold around $10+-. It is live bacteria and they will prevent a spike of ammonia and nitrite that can kill your clownfish. If you don't understand what this means then it simply means preventing the toxic stuff from building up. The stuff I recommended hasn't failed me yet.

Add the liquid (CYCLE) according to instructions and then overdose a bit. The bacteria will not harm if overdosed and give the system a boost.

Then, start reading up and just feed your clowns a bit of flake food in the mean time.

Points to note: Never let any metal except gold/titanium get in contact with saltwater as rust is toxic and you'll need to make sure the water is at the correct salinity as evaporation makes it more salty.

• SRC Member

ange- here is a simple breakdown >

1st, the invertebrate u got- that needs proper lighting(a realm on its own) if which u cannot provide then it won't last(first stick to fish). 2nd- u need to stabilise your tank before adding livestock,(marine is a little more sensitive). 3rd- clowns may or may not survive as they dun really cycle tanks that well(all depends on stock health).

4th- click on the link wedgee provided, it will lead u to some very basic setup advise.

5th- go to the library & read on some marine info- or use the net to read up on the basics.- link below provided(just click on it)

saltaquariums.com

6th- DO NOT-DO NOT-DO NOT buy anything else until u have read up the basics- as there are some other equipments u need to measure some parameters- salinity/ph/nitrates.

i'm not saying that a small tank can't work- its just that u need the knowledge on the parameters & then its not that difficult.

Firstly- u must look after the water, then livestock will not be a problem(i mean fish only).

so the bigger volume u have the easier it is.

When u buy water from the shops- u are buying old water which is a fine start to jump start your cycling process, but its also full of nitrates & the whole point of water changes is to get rid of nitrates(the end product of ammonia).

-Here's the truth: if u keep listening to that LFS then i am sad to say lots of $$$ gonna be wasted, nothin compared to how many fishes & inverterbrates are going to be dead. START with the right information & u will be on your way with less losses.

i'm pretty sure this post will be followed wif lotsa beginners advice.....

BlueTerror-To cycle the tank. If u can wait 1 mth then thats the best. otherwise- 1-2 weeks later u can add LR & cycle some more. You will go thru 2 peaks, first in ammonia by the 3rd week then nirites(by the 4th or 5th week)which will end up as nitrates which signals the first partial water change. Then livestock- by which the more sensitive fishes should stay alive- if u stick to low stocking levels.

using old water(purchased water) is to speed up cycling process. How long?- that depends on your levels & how hard your bacteria works. u need to measure.

:)

Argh...realized u were the same person who wanted a tank full of jelly fishs!!! :P

No way...PLS! :)

Ps* Till u fully cycle ya tank...1 feet??? V-small....du buy any more live stock.

yes... I am that same person that is asking about jelly fish....

asking for a friend...she wants to have a tank full of it :P

Hi Ange...:)

Hehehe..can understand how ya fren feels...usually first timer always v fascinated wif marine...& have lots of ideas/ inspirations...I've been there too... :P

But seriously...doubt ya fren will be able to sustain it for long...try to tok her out of it k?

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member
BlueTerror-To cycle the tank. If u can wait 1 mth then thats the best. otherwise- 1-2 weeks later u can add LR & cycle some more. You will go thru 2 peaks, first in ammonia by the 3rd week then nirites(by the 4th or 5th week)which will end up as nitrates which signals the first partial water change. Then livestock- by which the more sensitive fishes should stay alive- if u stick to low stocking levels.

using old water(purchased water) is to speed up cycling process. How long?- that depends on your levels & how hard your bacteria works. u need to measure.

:)

But what i have in my tank now is just marine water, how can it cycle?

I intend to cycle with just live rock. When i do a water change, i just mix the water immediately and add in rite? Need to wait anot?

• SRC Member

U have to mix the salt in water (use a stick or something non-metallic to stir it up nicely), put in an air stone for around 24hrs (to make sure the salt mix is fully dissolved!) and preferably cover it up just so dat it can collect the evaporated water YET at the same time allow gas exchange (small gap will do)...hope this is not too 'deep' for u?

All this is to allow the salt to mix properly in the water, and for it to stabilise (have u tried putting a handful of salt into the water and felt the heat?). If u are using just plain tap water, it is advised to aerated it with an airstone first for 24hrs to allow the chlorine and other stuff to evaporate, before using it to mix the salt!

Remember, this water is gona be wat the fish drinks, eats, and lives in! So must not be lazy with yr water ya? This is why it is good to have a regular water change timetable, so dat if u know u need to change water on thursday, u can prepare the tap water on tuesday...

Hope all this helps!!?!?! :P

• SRC Member

But what i have in my tank now is just marine water, how can it cycle?

I intend to cycle with just live rock. When i do a water change, i just mix the water immediately and add in rite? Need to wait anot?

throw in 1 or 2 market prawn.

• SRC Member

My water is in this 1.5ft tank with cover, after which i plan to transfer it to the main tank which is 2ft.

i am mixing the marine water (tropic marin) with a powerhead and after 1 day, the cloudyness has cleared and there is only some white residue left at the bottom.

So my question is, can i add liverock to let it cycle now? Or must i add something dead to let my filter build up the BB 1st?

• SRC Member

Okay, ange, saw the pics.

Some things you did inappropriately:

Overstock the tank: 4 fish is too many for that tank.

Put an anemone in a tiny tank: It has no proper current and enough water. I'll bet half the tank's water is in it!

That sponge is really delicate.

Adding a seahorse (okay, now it's five fish)

Adding a large spanish dancer sea slug: Seaslugs are a no-no because they eat specific corals and sponges and don't live long in captivity.

I've nothing against the patch of purple coral (that's clavularia spp. I think) and the fanworm, but in the event you get an ammonia spike the worm will die in hours and probably hang outside it's tube. and the feathers will shrivel up. That's a sure sign.

What i'd advise is you buy some clean new saltwater, pour it in a big tub and get a good filter (people here can suggest brands). Then add in some cycle and transfer the damsels into it first. After a week add more cycle and transfer the clowns and fanworm, and patch of purple coral. As for the anemone, sea slug and sponge, I think it would be wise to get rid of them somehow, perhaps return to the LFS?

• SRC Member

I've got a real practical advise, get a bigger tank!

Oh while you are at it, you could try finding out more about reefing.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

yup- read up.

if u do some reading you will find out the reasons why bigger is better & small tanks are for the more advanced aquarist.

The major factor of marine failure is due to lack of knowledge on how to keep & feed these animals properly ,also starting on the wrong foot(starting mini tanks)without proper equipment.

;)

I have 2 4 ft and one 3 ft at home.....wanted to convert the 4 ft to marine...

but then I went to a friends place, he had a small one feet.

he told me small is better... i would have to get chiller and many other things for large tanks...

so I went to buy a small tank. this morning all my $$ went into the toilet bowl.

:ph34r:

Small is better??? What kind of lousy advice is that? Lets go even smaller then.. a teacup?

Tell your friend that it is common knowledge that the bigger the tank the better and more stable it will be. Of course, a bigger tank will demand better equipment... but your long term goal is stability and easy maintenance right? Plus the space to put in more corals and livestock right?

How are you going to accomplish that with such a small tank?

The art of keeping nanotanks demands more husbandry and care. IMO, I don't see the attraction of a nanotank unless you intend to keep one on your computer desktop.

I strongly suggest you learn the basics of reef-keeping before you embark on your new tank before you waste more money and also to prevent more livestock losses through sheer ignorance.

Sorry if I sound quite hard but beginners MUST research first before setting up a marine tank. Do your homework.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

AT

Small is better??? What kind of lousy advice is that? Lets go even smaller then.. a teacup?

Tell your friend that it is common knowledge that the bigger the tank the better and more stable it will be. Of course, a bigger tank will demand better equipment... but your long term goal is stability and easy maintenance right? Plus the space to put in more corals and livestock right?

How are you going to accomplish that with such a small tank?

The art of keeping nanotanks demands more husbandry and care. IMO, I don't see the attraction of a nanotank unless you intend to keep one on your computer desktop.

I strongly suggest you learn the basics of reef-keeping before you embark on your new tank before you waste more money and also to prevent more livestock losses through sheer ignorance.

Sorry if I sound quite hard but beginners MUST research first before setting up a marine tank. Do your homework.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

AT

Intend to get the book. Most likely from Amazon since I read that these books cannot be found locally?