New Tank disaster

ange

• SRC Member

Intend to get the book. Most likely from Amazon since I read that these books cannot be found locally?

I did my reading for about a month before I decided to start on marine aquarium.. Try the library.. stay in this forum.. They've been a great help.. :D

Well... it's not particularly nice to hijack someone else's thread... perhaps that's why no one really answered you.

Perhaps you could highlight your question in a new thread?

• SRC Member
Small is better??? What kind of lousy advice is that? Lets go even smaller then.. a teacup?

Tell your friend that it is common knowledge that the bigger the tank the better and more stable it will be. Of course, a bigger tank will demand better equipment... but your long term goal is stability and easy maintenance right? Plus the space to put in more corals and livestock right?

How are you going to accomplish that with such a small tank?

The art of keeping nanotanks demands more husbandry and care. IMO, I don't see the attraction of a nanotank unless you intend to keep one on your computer desktop.

I strongly suggest you learn the basics of reef-keeping before you embark on your new tank before you waste more money and also to prevent more livestock losses through sheer ignorance.  

Sorry if I sound quite hard but beginners MUST research first before setting up a marine tank. Do your homework.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

AT

I beg to differ.

:lol:

Nanotanks ARE easy,

If you already have a big established tank to dump the animals in should anything go wrong.

??? Basically I'm agreeing with you???

Ok then I won't differ.

Argh! I'm getting confused!

• SRC Member

Doesn't sound easy if you need back up!

I don't need a bigger tank to dump my corals into for my 4 footer.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

To each his own, HQX.....

every reefer here has personal views on nano tanks

for me

i personally feel that it is harder to keep a small tank.

It needs this higher amount of attention paid to it than having a big tank.

Most people like big tanks as they can have the capability to keep more things inside.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Hi Ange

I happen to have a single 1 ft x 1 ft x 2.5 ft tank. I admit sometimes I wish for a bigger tank, like a 4 feeter because I will have more options like adding more life stocks and a more stable system.

But limitations in budget, space and other reasons (read wife's objection) compel me to settle for a pico tank. And this tank has brought me a lot of joy and learning. For a start, it only takes up a small space near my dinner table where I can enjoy the view. Since it is small, every creature counts and are individually cared for. Overstocking is a sure way to destroy your system and a strict no-no. I would spent time just observing the behaviour of the creatures and also the 'action' that is going on beneath the sands. It is a very rewarding hobby.

To make life easier with a small tank, I try to invest in quality equipment such as good filters, enough lights and efficient skimmer. Also, changing 30% water every month is a must. I also try to get good food for the animals so that their food comsumption needs are met.

As such, I would say that small tanks are possible, but with certain limitations and more husbandry. But it also has its joy: it is easily set-up, requires small space, less investments in big equipment, less investments in filling lifestocks, and when it ever crashes, you can restart faster and your financial loss is less (emotional loss just as great) :(

I am currently having 3 clowns, 1 bicolour dottyback and 1 dragonet, liverocks, mushrooms, fan worms and a boxer shrimp. Thinking of giving 1 percula clown away, any takers?

• SRC Member

It is very possible ange- u may want to do it again, but in slow steps this time with low stocking levels & some additional equipment.

All in good time.

just that buying a new tank & some water & putting in 2 clowns & an anemone all on the same day spells trouble. + guess the shop didn't tell u anything about salinity?water top up?how much light that anemone needs & PROTEIN SKIMMING.

• SRC Member

Ya wohl!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif