Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

• SRC Member
Considering removing the bioballs... probably not replacing with other media... the only worry is noise... I don't think I can endure water fall sound effect all day long :lol:

Any suggestion bros and sis? Thanks in advance...

your return pump(or ball valve attached to it) determines the water level of ur sump, it wont be too low as u gotta maintain a certain level for ur skimmer thus very little splashing sound caused at the bio balls chamber. Also ur sump is inside tank cabinet, cant hear much one lah when closed.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Common sense will tell u its 0. If its not, what's the point of running DI........

I forgot to collect the TDS meter from AM :erm: But after checking with bro Cherm (running the same DI Unit)... he gave me the confidence that my TDS is close to zero (if not zero). His TDS reading is zero btw. Right now I am filling up the tank real slowly... to enable the DI unit to works its best :)

Hopefully can complete this process by today... then... tomorrow another BIG day :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

bioballs when caltivated with bacteria acts like an ozonizer breaking down particles that go thru them but once u see diatoms covering them too much take them out or wash them. Leave a few in there dont wash all or all the bacteria gone.

By the way i tested the so called bioball causes nitrate theory, my nitrate readings are more or less the same with or without them.

your return pump(or ball valve attached to it) determines the water level of ur sump, it wont be too low as u gotta maintain a certain level for ur skimmer thus very little splashing sound caused at the bio balls chamber. Also ur sump is inside tank cabinet, cant hear much one lah when closed.

Emm... actually I think the sump partitions determine the water level within the sump... ATI Bubble Master works best when water does not exceed 10" high... so will keep water below that level. If I am to removed all bioballs and keep it empty, I think the splashing will be audible even when the cabinet is closed... and that is the last thing I want in the office as it can be distracting sometimes :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Emm... actually I think the sump partitions determine the water level within the sump... ATI Bubble Master works best when water does not exceed 10" high... so will keep water below that level. If I am to removed all bioballs and keep it empty, I think the splashing will be audible even when the cabinet is closed... and that is the last thing I want in the office as it can be distracting sometimes :)

haha come on lah bro i using a sump too dont believe me u fill ur sump with water and play with the return pump. The water level isnt determined by the partition wall heights, that can only happen if u got individual pumps for each partition. Your second (skimmer) compartment and final compartment (return pump) will be the same water level determined by how much water u let the return pump draw out judging from the design of ur sump partitions.

haha come on lah bro i using a sump too dont believe me u fill ur sump with water and play with the return pump. The water level isnt determined by the partition wall heights, that can only happen if u got individual pumps for each partition. Your second (skimmer) compartment and final compartment (return pump) will be the same water level determined by how much water u let the return pump draw out judging from the design of ur sump partitions.

I still don't think water height within the sump is determined by the return pump... I believe the water level is determined by ME and I will let the partitions in my sump and Bubble Master help me determine that. Well... perhaps we are talking about the same thing in different manner...

Almost reaching the overflow comb :yeah::yeah::yeah:

post-34-1158318989.jpg

Yeah... first time ever... dripping down the overflow chamber :yeah:

post-34-1158319753.jpg

If common sense can give you the reading, then tds meter is for? (measuring your common sense?) :D

Consider the following factors before u ask:

1. The unit used comes with dual reaction chamber.

2. In front of the the dual reaction chamber is a carbon block prefilter.

3. The unit is brand new.

If the unit does not give u 0ppm, then something is very wrong with the unit.

If u ask the question after Jervis run the unit for say 1000L of water, then its more relevant. I hope it makes sense to u. ;)

Took 8 hours to fill up the main tank, external overflow box and sump (partially)... ATI BM looking nice... with the only Eheim pump used in this setup :eyebrow:

post-34-1158319903.jpg

Wah... deep blue sea :P

Tomorrow will continue to fill up the sump... probably take another 30 minutes... then Steve will come over to fire up all the equipments :) If everything goes according to plan... will add salt Monday morning :eyebrow:

post-34-1158320100.jpg

hey bro did u use that little air pipe looking thingto fill up the tank ? juz curious  :lol:

Yes... it's thicker than normal air tube... took 8 hours... if using normal rubber hose, probably 30 minutes :lol:

Jervis,

Are u camping over night to jaga the tank for leaks?

Not trying to scare u, but if the tank leaks and the water soak yr wooden floor overnite, the wood may be damage.

Nope not camping tonight :P Pretty confident the tank will hold well... I've setup many many tanks before and "the force is strong in this one" :lol:

The floor is actually industrial grade floor laminate and the nearest water outlet is actually inside the pantry (a few feets away)... say "touch wood"... the water will flow towards the pantry... down to the drain outlet :)

oh man ... :bow::bow: u got alot and i mean ALOT of patience man .. :lol:

Bro... I am an impatient man... but no choice... DI water is considered bearable... RO probably take 2 days and end up with 300 gallons of wasted water :lol: Actually it is not hard at all... just let the DI unit run 1 full working day... but the sound of the water splashing was kinda annoying for the entire studio :angry:

• SRC Member

haha yea true.. my tank is in my room juz 3 feet away from my bed.. the sound can be pretty irritating. maybe u wanna place a piece of material that the water can kinda "guild" on to. has to be tall enough though. might reduce the noise created

haha yea true.. my tank is in my room juz 3 feet away from my bed.. the sound can be pretty irritating. maybe u wanna place a piece of material that the water can kinda "guild" on to. has to be tall enough though. might reduce the noise created

Nah... it's over... no more noise Monday onwards :)