Oh No, How Now?

cdckjn

• SRC Member

Last night after coming back from church discover that the anemone got sucked into the inlet of the cansister filter. Off the cansister filter and the anemone managed to come off but badly damaged. I thought that leaving it in the water will be alright so that it can recover.

But alas, this morning before work when I went to check, even the clownfishes in the water is dead. The dying anenome apparrantly died and poison the whole 2ft tank.

I will clear it tonight when I return. Question is now what about the live rock, will the toxins from the dying anemone going inside the live rock. Must I soak the live rock in fresh water (some is with mushrooms and zoos) to remove the toxins. If yes, how long do I soak - 15 mins is sufficient?

Please advise. Thanks.

• SRC Member
Last night after coming back from church discover that the anemone got sucked into the inlet of the cansister filter. Off the cansister filter and the anemone managed to come off but badly damaged. I thought that leaving it in the water will be alright so that it can recover.

But alas, this morning before work when I went to check, even the clownfishes in the water is dead. The dying anenome apparrantly died and poison the whole 2ft tank.

I will clear it tonight when I return. Question is now what about the live rock, will the toxins from the dying anemone going inside the live rock. Must I soak the live rock in fresh water (some is with mushrooms and zoos) to remove the toxins. If yes, how long do I soak - 15 mins is sufficient?

Please advise. Thanks.

dnt hv 2 soak e live rock lah, juz do a 50% change water wil do.

• SRC Member

I intend to go back flush everything into the toilet :sick: , then wash/rinse the rock with mushrooms/zoos then replace into my other main tank, the balance of live rock into the sump. then clean and wash my cansister. then slowly restart again by cycling the water and rocks. More or less this is an offical tank-crash. :(:cry2::(

• SRC Member

Hi Bro;

You should have taken leave from work...

No need to rinse anything. Run additional canister with more Carbon. Perform 20% water change twice a day. Rinse carbon and sponge after every change. Test Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite... If still high, repeat for the 2rd day. Discard carbon after it becomes normal.

I survive a near crash the last time, I did this and I suffered no casualty. If you dun have additional canister, buy one. It will be cheaper than to kill LS or water change...

good luck.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

I suffered 1 major tank crash, and 1 minor with sea anemones getting stuck in my canister inlet cage. If using canister, I figured must make another bigger inlet pipe to fit over canister inlet cage. Haven't tried it yet as I got no time. No anemone for now as got not much time to take care...I've got about 5 tube anemone...these stay at bottom of tank...seems to be safer to have in a canister tank...

I've experienced and survived a RBT Anemone chopped to slices by my Tunze... I removed all the chopped parts... did water change and more water change for the next 3 weeks. Run the protein skimmer full force. Add extra activated carbon. And use chemical (on as last resort) to control ammonia.

I was very lucky then... not a single casualty in the tank.

All the best to you bro.

Je®vis

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I actually took a 7-11 Big Glup cup and then cut slots in them and put the intake of the cansister inside the cup, but not good.

When I went back back in the afternoon, everything gone - dead even the worms in the water also dead.

I just flush everything into the toilet.

When I clean the cansister found some anemone in the cansister, that's why I think everything dead - the toxin has gone into the water. So now, 2ft tank empty. Waiting for the next time got time then restart the water and cycling of tank again.

Thanks all for the advise. I NEVER like anemone but because my son wanted a clown and then it needs a anemone and then and then .... sad. Next time will be more careful.

• SRC Member
Perhaps instead of amemones. you may want to get long tectacles plate coral or Frogspawn. Clown fish like to host in these corals too.

dun totally agreed..

myb the clowns must get used to the tank with the frogspawn/ plate??

seldom see clowns hosting in them..

juz another 2 cents..

:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Perhaps instead of amemones. you may want to get long tectacles plate coral or Frogspawn. Clown fish like to host in these corals too.

are these count as soft-corals? Are they diffucult to look after. even mushrooms and zoos don't do very well under my care - which is minimum. I don't wish to turn on the T5 lights (only 4 hours per day - in the evening). No chillers, just have Weipro skimmers.