Newly discovered species...

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Just saw this in Yahoo! Thought I share...

Handout obtained February 2006 from the Conservation International shows a new species of Litoria Prora, discovered from Foja mountain in Papua, Indonesia. Scientists have found at least 52 new marine species off the western coast of Indonesia's Papua, deeming the waters there to be one of the richest in the world.

capt.sge.okt14.180906092916.photo00.photo.default_512x367

• SRC Member

Here are some newly discovered marine species...

a Pterocaesio sp., one of over 50 likely new species discovered during the recent CI-led surveys in the waters off Indonesia's Papua province.

capt.jak10609180540.indonesia_underwater_discoveries_jak106

• SRC Member

a Paracheilinus walton, a new species of flasher wrasse, one of over 50 likely new species discovered during the recent CI-led surveys in the waters off Indonesia's Papua province

(I thot this one is cool...)

capt.jak10509180535.indonesia_underwater_discoveries_jak105

• SRC Member

a Cirrhilabrus cenderawasih, a new species of flasher wrasse, one of over 50 likely new species discovered during the recent CI-led surveys in the waters off Indonesia's Papua province

capt.jak80309180454.indonesia_underwater_discoveries_jak803

• SRC Member

an epaulette shark (Hemiscyillum freycineti), one of over fifty likely new species discovered during the recent CI-led surveys in the waters off Indonesia's Papua province

capt.jak10209180431.indonesia_underwater_discoveries_jak102

The wrasse in the 3rd pic looks nice. Wonder if its for sale, will the price tag be $1000? :rolleyes: jk. . .

Thanks for sharing!

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

For all you know, it is already sitting in someone's tank long time ago... since it is from nearby indonesia... ;)

The thing with "newly discovered" species is that the recording and official naming is often times done by "ang mohs"... perhaps the local people in Indonesia have already been shipping them to ah beng in Singapore for ###### no. of years... :lol::D

• SRC Member
a Cirrhilabrus cenderawasih, a new species of flasher wrasse, one of over 50 likely new species discovered during the recent CI-led surveys in the waters off Indonesia's Papua province

if im nt wrong the word 'cenderawasih' means mythical bird in malay.. so i guess maybe there's an indonesian involved in the naming of the species?

Yeah... heard it on BBC radio yesterday... thanks bro Seamonkee for sharing!!! This is the amazing thing about mother nature... some will go (extinct)... some will be discovered... the cycle never ends :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Frankly, i think the fishes look quite common... even the flasher wrasse looks like something I've seen before in one of the fairy wrasse books! :P

That's why I said I'm not surprised that there's a possibility that its already caught and shipped by fishermen who dun even noe they are new species yet to be named... haha... :lol::D