What eats sun corals?

Spidey

Well, what happened was I found a polyp with some 'skin' missing overnight, so that I can see the white skeleton.

The question is what could have caused this?

The only non-coral in my tank is a cleaner shrimp. The sun coral is being fed daily or every other day.

• SRC Member

just keep it in gd flow & target feed... white part can still recover... make sure no algae n it'll grow back when conditions improve

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

Hi spidey,

i had similar problem and had seen Iwana sun tank, also same problem afer a period of time. my guess could be overfed . I left them as it is and now many smaller babies are growing

cheers

Thanks. Very interesting point.

I actually feed them every night. So if you think overfeeding is the cause, how frequently are you feeding to avoid this problem?

There is no concrete answer to this problem. For myself , I feed them once a week with small piece of cut prawnmeat . This frequency is ok but from my previous experience I saw them swallowing it so fast thinking that they are hungry and put in another pieces landed up with perhaps an indigective problem and it start to get white and fade. I told myself to feed them with only one piece and my sun is now doing well.

Hope this idea help you in any way

• SRC Member
Thanks. Very interesting point.

I actually feed them every night. So if you think overfeeding is the cause, how frequently are you feeding to avoid this problem?

1 of the sun coral expert told me that we should nv ever feed sun coral everyday.. this will result in overfeeding tuas costing it to die..

• SRC Member

just contributing what i know

saw in an SRC thread before, that feeding too much to the sun coral, will cause it to exhaust too much energy into digesting the food, what we can notice would be the re-gurgitiating(dont know right spelling or not) of food out of the polyps

as a guide, i usually only feed my suns 2 times per week

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to have hijack this message. :P

Last saturday, I bought a small piece of sun coral from one of the farms in Pasir Ris. Also, bought zooplankton & phytoplankton (those mixed with water type).

The strange thing is it doesn't open when my T5 lights are switch on. But whenever, the lights are off, it opens. :erm:

As for feeding, I uses a syringe (with zooplankton & phytoplankton mixed with saltwater) and pump slightly above each tube of the sun corals. But still doesn't open.

I tried to shift the location of the sun coral from middle of the tank to resting on

sand. Still doesn't want to open. <_<

Anything else I should take note of??

suncorals need to put in shade not under light. pls dnt get the wrong idea that sun means sunny. they hate light.

shedding may due to changing of its endo demertis like soft coral (a term which is similar to skin changing in snake)

feeding suncorals preferably be at night or evening as in nature they absorb food in the evening.

whther or not they are overfeed is not a matter cos if you are full, of course you will shut your mouth up to stop taking food?

just my litte contribution

thnks

suncorals need to put in shade not under light. pls dnt get the wrong idea that sun means sunny. they hate light.

shedding may due to changing of its endo demertis like soft coral (a term which is similar to skin changing in snake)

feeding suncorals preferably be at night or evening as in nature they absorb food in the evening.

whther or not they are overfeed is not a matter cos if you are full, of course you will shut your mouth up to stop taking food?

just my litte contribution

thnks

Yeah.. maybe you are right..

I should place it under one of my caves... :)

• 5 weeks later...

Bro, dun worry that your sun dun open immediately when u bought them. Perhaps u should try cyclofreez mixed with the phyto & zoosplanktons.

Some sunnies take a while to acclimatize. They may be stressed due to transportation. For new sunnies, they are not as sticky when I feed mysis or brine shrimps. After a week or two, they will be very sticky to catch any passing food. Of course, your water parameters must be within healthy range.

• SRC Member

sorry if i dun agree with this.

sun corals do not need to be under shade. just tat they dun need light and most reefers would rather put them in the shade to keep the space for other corals who need lights.

IMO, they do well either in shaded or lighted areas, and in high flow area.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member

sorry if i dun agree with this.

sun corals do not need to be under shade. just tat they dun need light and most reefers would rather put them in the shade to keep the space for other corals who need lights.

IMO, they do well either in shaded or lighted areas, and in high flow area.

I agree with andy as some of my friends and even my sunnies are under direct light and they still open when it's feeding time.

• 2 months later...
i tink e problem lies on ur water. sun is quite hardly wan, try putin under shade n montior, one more ting......try 2 keep ur temp below 28degree, cheers!

Hey sharkfin,

That's some cool Dendro's you got there...do you mind if I ask how much are they selling for in S'pore?? PM me please!!

Would love to get my hands on them...as many as possible!!

Thanks,

Paul