wad exactly are zooanthids?

ah^siao

how to see the difference between buttons and zooanthids?

they look so similar...

I think they are the same...button polyp seems to be the common name...not sure on this one....I prefer to cal them zoanthids or zoos for short form....

btw...here a piece I got from re****.....veri nice ...(I still prefer the lady boss..more friendly)

post-7-1066449730.jpg

• SRC Member

I think they are the same...button polyp seems to be the common name...not sure on this one....I prefer to cal them zoanthids or zoos for short form....

btw...here a piece I got from re****.....veri nice ...(I still prefer the lady boss..more friendly)

yes, they are zoanthids and not zooanthids ;)

• SRC Member

got lady boss ah??? heheheeh..never seen before... maybe should take a peep..... :rolleyes:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

Yes....the one in your picture belongs to the Palythoa family.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

oops. yes, the picture shows Palythoa (Sea Mats). Their flesh contains palytoxin which is dangerous but they are fine so long as u don't handle them with cuts on ur hands.

Palythoa or Sea Mats are large polyps that sprout from an encrusting base. They all share the same base and are quite large.

Zoanthids are similar in appearance but tend to be skinnier. They do not share the same base, but usually grow in large colonies.

Yellow polyps are Parazoanthus sp.

All of these except yellow polyps are commonly lumped together under the common name Button Polyps.

• SRC Member
oops. yes, the picture shows Palythoa (Sea Mats). Their flesh contains palytoxin which is dangerous but they are fine so long as u don't handle them with cuts on ur hands.

i had no idea.... got one like wht deepblue posted also... took a while to open up...

Thought I might be able to help clarify matters and add a few pics to help.

First of all, ai[k²]wan is correct the family is called zoanthids. In this family there are several types of zoanthids, the most popular being zoanthus, palythoa, and protopalythoa in that order. There are also parazoanthus (yellow polyps for example) and epizoanthus (nonphotosynthetic red polyps for example)

Here are some pics to help identify each:

ZOANTHUS

1734meangreenfieldweb-med.jpg

1734lookinzos1web_copy-med.jpg

(I just lost this colony to fungus infection :( )

1734onezoweb-med.jpg

PROTOPALYTHOA

1734pinksweb-med.jpg

These are a bit larger than zoanthus, tough to distinguish- BUT protopalythoa WILL respond to finely chopped food, you can see them close up and engulf the food unlike zoanthus.

PALYTHOA

1734bigpolyps4web.jpg

PARAZOANTHUS

1734yelpolyps3web-med.jpg

EPIZOANTHUS

(Had a pic of these somewhere, but can't find it.)

Hope this helps

Travis

• SRC Member

If Ming is Prof. Shrooms and Onghm, the Photos Guru then may we crown Reel-life as Prof. Zoos??? :P

Photos are really clear and precise...How about a brief lessons on taking care of them and maybe the mods can make it as a sticky? Afterall, we are learning here from a renowned expert... :)

Travis...your zoanthus are really nice...still waiting for the reply about shipping to Singapore. How? Feasible? Economical? :yeah::yeah::yeah: