Odd-looking GONIOPORA

jervismun

Hi guys

I noticed some yellow spots on my Red Gonio recently... this specimen has been with me for months now... :nc:

Despite the yellow dots... the specimen looks happy to me :unsure:

Also notice the white tips... those are new too <_<

Hoping can get some experienced views from you guys.

Thanks

Je®vis

post-70-1161520322.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

hi jervismun,

i've been reading your office tank thread with much interest. wow great job on it!

anyway those pretty much look like flatworms to me. Bad news. You might want to try some products like Flatworm Exit. Search the forums for more info.

Thanks bro... I will do more research on this... :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Thanks bro Flamey... that's a very very good read... since I am planning on a coral transfer to my new tank... do you think I shall take the opportunity to use Flatworm Exit prior to the transfer? Do it in a separate tank perhaps... I have a small 1ft tank lying somewhere at home... I can fire it up in the office to prepare for the dipping.

Do I dip all corals? (Just to be save) or just dip the affected Gonios?

Thanks for all your inputs... really appreciate it.

• SRC Member

hi jervis,

im not sure what those yellow patches are; and ive never seen the likes of em, but it could just be a temporary pigmentation related issue, and might not indicate ill health. plus i doubt a flat worm would be able to crawl up and stay on a gonios elongated tentacles without causing the colony to retract.

your gonio looks super healthy by the way.

anyhows, just wanted to chime in to say that the white tips are called acrospheres, and they tend to develop on gonios that are exposed to conditions of high flow and high light. why they do this, im not sure, but it does lend a nice contrast to the tentacle colours.

think they mention acrospheres here:http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/invert.htm

cheers,

ian

Thanks Ian... our Gonio expert!!! :bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

that are flat worms you need to take that out if not ur whole tank will infested with it

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pix of the flatworm killed by Seachem Reef Dip :)

post-70-1162739018.jpg

Bro Iantoh... I've removed the water... basically brown/orange dots (the size of medium fish pellets) floating in the water... curled-up... dead :lol:

• 2 months later...
Hi guys

I noticed some yellow spots on my Red Gonio recently... this specimen has been with me for months now...  :nc:

Despite the yellow dots... the specimen looks happy to me :unsure:

Also notice the white tips... those are new too  <_<

Hoping can get some experienced views from you guys.

Thanks

Je®vis

Those white tips are sweepers when they're feeding...mine does that all around the sides of the Goni! My Red looks similar to yours and I'm on the hunt for a new Super Red Goni...and I feed 'em all kinds of minced meat...fish guts, shrimp guts etc.