Something interesting I found today

gunzo

Wow it comes with so many connectors? Can roughly explain those?

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Wow it comes with so many connectors? Can roughly explain those?

the round connectors are soft rubber plugs .. where one end plugs to the hydro flow and the other end is supposed to plug to the outlet of the pump or the pipes ..the rubber adaptor is designed such that you can either squeeze inside the outlet hole or fit outside .. :P

This is how the hydro flo is secured to your pump or pipes..

very nice ..

now thinking of re-running my return pipes to include these little things .. kekeke

aquatronica7na.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi there guys,

just thought id chime in, as i think the hydor flos a wonderful product. really glad AM's brought it in too, seeing as the last time they were distributed in sg, the prices were ridiculous.

the four connectors serve to attach the hydor flo to your return / closed loop / or powerhead outlets. internally, the hydor is comprised of a series of gears, with a small turbine that turns as water is pumped through. as the turbine turns, it turns the actual hydor housing in a circular fashion, and as the outlet is like a half moon curve, the resulting flow is very nicely spread out and dispersed, and keeps on spinning. its brilliant for a nano set up.

right now, i run two hydor flos connected to my two return pipes, with the return pump being an Aquabee 2000I, so just nice. :D

things to note though:

1) the upper limit for flow through the hydor is 1200l/hr. i find that at around 1000l/hr, the hydor is spinning around at its max speed already, and any higher a flow rate starts to stress the white connecting clip that holds the gear set up to the body. running flows of over 1200l/hr will cause the white clip to loosen its grip with time causing the hydor to stop spinning, so be sure to not over stress it ya. i had to learn this the hard way. :D

2) if you find the hydor twitching, or not spinning smoothly after say six months of use, take the whole thing out, disassemble, and soak in artificial vinegar for an hour or so and itll be just like new.

cheers,

ian

i think it is not suitable to plug to a tunze right?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

Hi Ian,

I've bought this thing since you last recommended. I used it with my Rena powerhead rated at 900 l/hr near to the surface (for undergravel filter) but had problem with water splashes. I noticed your tank's return flow was pointed at downward angle so no problem with water splash. I guess I need to use an adapter to direct the flow downwards, any other solution?

Also, a fellow reefer commented that in order for the Hydor Flo to work, it would slow down the flow rate, what do you think?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Hi there bro adrianlau,

for sure the hydor will reduce flow rates slightly, but i think the benefits gained from the randomized flow movement far outways the slight reduction in flow. also, the hydor is rated from between 300 to 1200L/hr, and within this range, the flow rates are not greatly hampered, but if you try pumping 2000l/hr through a hydor, as i have done in the past, youll notice the flow is significantly less than the 2000l/hr youre pushing through. that is, it has an operating upper limit flow rate.

nice to hear youre using the hydor too. with regards to your hydor positioning question, i think its relatively easy to find a 90-degree bend connector to allow you to fit the hydor to your powerhead at another angle, but you could also just simply lower the position of your powerhead such that the hydor isnt so close to the waters' surface. as it disperses water in a circular manner, if you place it at the water's surface, each rotation it makes, it will splash some water which i guess is best avoided.

how many hydors are you running bro?

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

Very interesting product indeed!! :lol:

Must thanks gunzo for introducing this great toy!! :thanks:

bought it from AM today at the price mentioned above and just installed it.

it can rotate!! :lol: studied it for a while before installing but cannot figure whether can it rotate or not so expect wider flow only... what a surprise to see it rotate! my return flow output should be around 600l/hr

got a little clip to show it in action taken with my hp...but cannot attached :(

something I've been looking for for a while.. :D

Gonna plug it to one of my pumps and see how it works

Hi ibro iantoh,

I know Hydro Bioflo has 2 size/type...how about "HydroFlo"?

Beside AM, where can i get it at west with this reasonable price?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Hi there bro adrianlau,

for sure the hydor will reduce flow rates slightly, but i think the benefits gained from the randomized flow movement far outways the slight reduction in flow. also, the hydor is rated from between 300 to 1200L/hr, and within this range, the flow rates are not greatly hampered, but if you try pumping 2000l/hr through a hydor, as i have done in the past, youll notice the flow is significantly less than the 2000l/hr youre pushing through. that is, it has an operating upper limit flow rate.

nice to hear youre using the hydor too. with regards to your hydor positioning question, i think its relatively easy to find a 90-degree bend connector to allow you to fit the hydor to your powerhead at another angle, but you could also just simply lower the position of your powerhead such that the hydor isnt so close to the waters' surface. as it disperses water in a circular manner, if you place it at the water's surface, each rotation it makes, it will splash some water which i guess is best avoided.

how many hydors are you running bro?

cheers,

ian

Hi Ian,

Just bought my 2nd one, but haven't fixed it to my Eheim Canister Filter yet.

• SRC Member

hi there bro jameshong,

im afraid the hydor is only available at Aquamarin at this moment. i dont think anyone else brings in hydor products anymore. and its great that AM has brought them in i think, because their pricing for the hydor flo is alot more reasonable than what other LFS used to charge a while back.

adrian,

have you managed to solve your water splashing issue?

and bro don, hi. im afraid the hydor will not last long if you run a flow rate above 1200L/hr through it. the reason being that such high flow will stress the white fixing clip that holds the gear assembly to the spinning casing. i used to run two hydor flos powered each by an Aquabee 2000L pump, and both lasted only three to four months, so that was an expensive experiment. i have since removed one pump, and split my aquabee 2000 return pump into two outlets, each with a hydor, and it is working well.

as for the bioflo having different sizes, actually, the hydor used to have different sizes too, but i think the company realises now that since the flow rates through the different sizes are about the same, they may as well just sell the medium version as a staple version. so now, there are no more size variations for the hydors.

cheers

• SRC Member

hi there bro don,

there isnt a higher version. for all versions, their max flow rate is 1200l/hr im afraid. for something that will accomodate higher flow rates, i think youll have to look at the oceanmotions or sea swirl units already.

bro tineng has an oceanmotions 4-way going for a great price, so if youve got the set up, can always consider that ya.

cheers