Ming's Outdoor Tank

ming69

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bro, I also have a outdoor tank...under my car porch.U need a good chiller- as ambient temp can be 38-40 degrees.too much sun u get algae problems.I have 2 x 150 MH (think not enuff dor my 7 footer....guess u can experiment a little.I have successfully grown phytoplankton outdoors..(though it takes alot of effort)more pics.and if u have any problem to share ...post it here

bro, I also have a outdoor tank...under my car porch.U need a good chiller- as ambient temp can be 38-40 degrees.too much sun u get algae problems.I have 2 x 150 MH (think not enuff dor my 7 footer....guess u can experiment a little.I have successfully grown phytoplankton outdoors..(though it takes alot of effort)more pics.and if u have any problem to share ...post it here

• SRC Member

So far my temp is not more than 31 degree. My chiller should be install possibly in 2 weeks time.....

Hubby just decided to do some renovation at the moment. And I have the whole setup covered up with a big piece of plastic sheet to prevent the dust from coming into the tanks. Hopefully it won't cuase too much problem for the fishes.. :pirate::ph34r::ph34r:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Left some seaweed in the tank as well. Saw the powder brown eat some while the others are pigging out. Still not eating as much as the others..... <_<

Well at least your Powder Tang eating already... my PBT (been a week now) only eats Red Bamboo and pecking rocks till now ;) Kinda worried :huh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Well at least your Powder Tang eating already... my PBT (been a week now) only eats Red Bamboo and pecking rocks till now ;) Kinda worried :huh:

Well, I flood my tank with mysis and brine shrimps. This might prompt the PBT to try eating some of it. That's how I got my P.brown tang to feed :P

But jus as I was happily introducing my P.Blue tang into my tank yesterday, I kinda lost sight of my P. brown tang. A quick check revealed tat my P.brown tang was stuck under some rocks :( Tried to pull out the fellow when its still alive but to no avail. :cry: This morning yet to go check my tank, dunno whether the P brown tang still alive ?

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

Well, I flood my tank with mysis and brine shrimps. This might prompt the PBT to try eating some of it. That's how I got my P.brown tang to feed :P

But jus as I was happily introducing my P.Blue tang into my tank yesterday, I kinda lost sight of my P. brown tang. A quick check revealed tat my P.brown tang was stuck under some rocks :( Tried to pull out the fellow when its still alive but to no avail. :cry: This morning yet to go check my tank, dunno whether the P brown tang still alive ?

How your fish get itself stuck under rocks??? It was in the cave & you put corals so it got stuck?

May all our powder tangs pull through!!! :angel:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

I also not sure, sigh :( never go touch tat rocks corner and this incident got to happen, so unfortunate :cry: Well, think my PBT is undergoing the ich period now. But I got confidence to bring up this fellow if he starts eating. will soak garlic guard to feed all my fishes to build up their fight against ich :look:

Looks like u jus added another YT and PT to ur collections :D U gonna add to which tank, both fishes size seems small

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

those 2 for the cube in the house. Very fat but colors a bit faint. Otherwise ok. Still settling in n not coming out to feed, so have to flood tank with food. Once they settle in & come out during feed time, will gradually switch to pallets.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

wow, sis. is tat a QT or propagation tank? stunningly pro!

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
wow, sis. is tat a QT or propagation tank? stunningly pro!

Thanks! :paiseh:

The smaller tank is now a frag/holding tank. Don't know wat to do with it just yet.

Got a spare 250w mh light, maybe will fix it there, then can try sps......

The section of the gdn, is like a war zone now, with tubs of sand and LR. Getting to look like fish farm liao.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Got a spare 250w mh light, maybe will fix it there, then can try sps......

:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: just do it

ming, ur set up looks like those from RC, very pro

now the the smaller 4ft tank become ur 'hou gong' liao :lol:

• SRC Member
:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: just do it

ming, ur set up looks like those from RC, very pro

now the the smaller 4ft tank become ur 'hou gong' liao :lol:

Pro?? Not there yet. With your advise and tips from your setup...... I'm still working on mine to make it look presentable.

Although your suggestion was to get a 2.5ft width tank, I got a 2.5ft height. The tank was passed to me by a friend, so cannot be too picky. :D

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Although your suggestion was to get a 2.5ft width tank, I got a 2.5ft height. The tank was passed to me by a friend, so cannot be too picky. 

u sure can reach the tank bottom :eyebrow::whistle:lol:

the main tank looks huge compare to the existing 4 footer...

more pix :evil: ~~~ more pix :evil: ~~~

• SRC Member
u sure can reach the tank bottom :eyebrow::whistle:lol:

the main tank looks huge compare to the existing 4 footer...

more pix :evil: ~~~ more pix :evil: ~~~

Hopefully with the help of various lengths of tongs, etc... should be able to reach the bottom of the tank without the need of putting my head into the water. :lol::D<_<

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

it looks much deeper than 2.5ft.. wat is the size of that tank?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

it looks much deeper than 2.5ft.. wat is the size of that tank?

I think it's 2.5ft... it's just that the existing tank is super short :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I think it's 2.5ft... it's just that the existing tank is super short :lol:

Bingo!! Yes, the bigger one is 2.5ft and the smaller one is only 1.5ft.

Can foresee that I will be having problem with the bigger tank. Was so used to the 1.5ft depth from the previous setup.

:lol::lol: Can just reach in and don't need the help of stool or ladder. :P:P

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

Bingo!! Yes, the bigger one is 2.5ft and the smaller one is only 1.5ft.

Can foresee that I will be having problem with the bigger tank. Was so used to the 1.5ft depth from the previous setup.

:lol::lol: Can just reach in and don't need the help of stool or ladder. :P:P

then welcome to the wet armpit group.. hahaha.. whenever i reach the bottom of the tank, i always end up getting the armpits so wet that i hv to use a cloth to wipe the floor after dripping all over.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
then welcome to the wet armpit group.. hahaha.. whenever i reach the bottom of the tank, i always end up getting the armpits so wet that i hv to use a cloth to wipe the floor after dripping all over.

:lol::lol::lol:

With the 1.5ft depth already in the club liao.

Now with 2.5ft depth, think the whole shoulder n maybe neck will also be wet if I really need to reach the bottom of the tank.

One of the reasons I moved all the tanks to the gdn is that I won't have to worry about dripping all over the floor. :P:P

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

time to buy a diving mask and snorkel :lol:

• SRC Member

:lol::lol::lol:

With the 1.5ft depth already in the club liao.

Now with 2.5ft depth, think the whole shoulder n maybe neck will also be wet if I really need to reach the bottom of the tank.

One of the reasons I moved all the tanks to the gdn is that I won't have to worry about dripping all over the floor. :P:P

haha ming

buy a goggle n go scuba diving le :lol::lol: