Started my tank the second time

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

I really don't understand why are you guys so critical and so sarcastic to me.....as I said before I am a NEWBIE to this fishkeeping thing :angry:

If you guys want to give advise, at least be polite ....what's this about itchy hand ...try keeping lou han and etc........?

Look, I only discover about your website only on Sunday, which is why I started registering and looking for help and answer. I did not come here to be lecture, I came here for advise.

• SRC Member
I really don't understand why are you guys so critical and so sarcastic to me.....as I said before I am a NEWBIE to this fishkeeping thing :angry:

If you guys want to give advise, at least be polite ....what's this about itchy hand ...try keeping lou han and etc........?

Look, I only discover about your website only on Sunday, which is why I started registering and looking for help and answer. I did not come here to be lecture, I came here for advise.

Hi Yellowbelly, I'm sure nobady here is trying to be nasty. As this is a forum, the way we phrase our sentence at times maybe mis-interpreted. Thus we have the smilies to help show our intentions.

As for your setup, if mentioned that u had restarted and it is in the 3rd week. Based on your setup, I'll guess that you are in the NO2 spike period. Since NO2 is toxic to all LS, it is really not advisable to have any LS in the tank although those super hardy fishes may survive. In SRC, we emphasis on "Responsible Reefing". :D

If you had not get any testkits, I'll advise that you get the NO2 testkit asap. After the NO2 is zero, it is time to test the NO3. For fish only setup, NO3 should be kept at least below 20mg/l if not zero.

As for gd LFS, do lookup the LFS section in SRC. For gd and friendly advise, look for Henry at ML (at times he is very busy).

Enjoy your reefing. :)

Hello Yellowbelly!! :)

Welcome to SRC! Glad you found us... so our efforts to promote the club and hobby at Aquarama wasn't a waste! :)

Rest assured that we all have good intentions to help you out along the way. Feel free to seek out more info and don't be too sensitive to some advice which can appear harsh because written words can appear like that without the use of the 'smilies' like ;) or :) or :D or :huh: . (Reminder to all... tone your words with these to indicate your body language - it's common internet protocol).

One advice from me.... take advice from LFS with a bucket of salt.. depending on where you go, you can make do with a pinch... but frankly I can only count with 2 fingers which are the better educated reef- conscientious and not just money-minded LFS in Singapore.

Where ever you got your advice from doesn't know what he's saying and probably hoping that ignorance is bliss and your return visits again and again to rectify problems and restock your tank will be good for him.

You will find that the hobbyists know a lot more than LFS these days because of the rising affluence coupled with easy access to the internet and good aquarium books. I suspect many of the new LFS are copy-catting the very old established ones have been running the same way for decades... and have not kept up with advances in the hobby (its hard to teach old dogs new tricks).... ;)

See you around!

AT

• SRC Member
By the way, I just added a boxer shrimp and I notice that the 2 Shrimp Cleaners ganging up on him attacking him from left and right ??!!! in the end, I have to put the boxer shrimp in a small container.

Hi, apologies first..... :bow: but the fact that after asking for advice here, you went out and bought a Boxer shrimp to add to the tank mean that you dun regard these "advices"..... :angry: What if someone were to ask you for advice, gave and end up with him going the other way???? I would be pissed off.. And wouldn't care less if you ask for any advice next..... :whistle

While the rudeness is uncall for, I think everyone here is trying to help.... :D

Look at the positive side, Skim off the rudeness and you will get lots and tons of good advice.... :peace:

Cheers and happy reefing..... ;)

• SRC Member

Hi, apologies first..... :bow: but the fact that after asking for advice here, you went out and bought a Boxer shrimp to add to the tank mean that you dun regard these "advices"..... :angry: What if someone were to ask you for advice, gave and end up with him going the other way???? I would be pissed off.. And wouldn't care less if you ask for any advice next..... :whistle

While the rudeness is uncall for, I think everyone here is trying to help.... :D

Look at the positive side, Skim off the rudeness and you will get lots and tons of good advice.... :peace:

Cheers and happy reefing..... ;)

Hi thanks to all for the advise

I bought the shrimp before I know about this site :P so now what can I do haiikkzzzzz buy already.

Anyway, I would like to set up a damsels and shrimp tank only, so for 2 ft tank, how many damsel and shrimp can I put in ?

• SRC Member

Ok, lets start again, since now my tank water is at least 2 months old with weekly 10% waterchange since 1 month ago couple with 2 damsels and cleaners shrimp ( no death for the past 3 weeks ) and 1 kg of liverock. Can I start adding in live stock again ?

If not, what should I test for first ?

"As for your setup, if mentioned that u had restarted and it is in the 3rd week. Based on your setup, I'll guess that you are in the NO2 spike period. Since NO2 is toxic to all LS, it is really not advisable to have any LS in the tank although those super hardy fishes may survive. In SRC, we emphasis on "Responsible Reefing". "

This is what I have for testing and chemical solutions:

PH test kit

Ammo test Kit

Ammo Lock 2

Hagen Cycle

Really thanks all for you guys help, apologize if I sound angry...(actually I am ) but really grateful for all the help I can get.

• SRC Member

Hi Yellowbelly

I dun think the guys mean any harm :) ... infact if U sieve thru the comments posted here, there's a lot of info & advise frm yr 1 post (as opposed 2 other topics started by a newbie). Dun get offended OK ... everyone's here just trying 2 learn frm 1 another, thats all :).

Dun believe everything U hear frm the LFS, most give lousy advice & even the ones that R not out 2 CON U, they might still B giving U the wrong advice ;). U must remember most LFS just wanna make $$$, as much as they can frm 1 person, they R businessmen after all. I find that if I arm myrself with enough basic knowledge, its easier 2 spot the good LFS among the unscruplous ones. Like AT said, take their advice with a huge pinch of salt ... U have 2 trust your instincts & know-hows. If we appear knowledgeable, its not that easy 4 the LFS's 2 cheat us ... ;)

My only advise 2 U is 2 B patient & constantly read up (its really worthwhile) - whether thru SRC, the internet, books or well-knowledged reefers & a lot of trial & error. B4 embarking on marine keeping, I didn't know a lot of the lingo used here but slowly I am beginning 2 absorb the terms. I find that joining a forum helped a lot because U can ask real-time questions & U might get answers quickly :D.

Yellowbelly ... strive on & U'll soon B staring & admiring your newly set-up marine tank.

Good Luck! :peace:

• SRC Member

hi yellowbelly... hmmm frm ur setup i tink ur bio filtration capibilities of ur tank is not enough.... if u wan to keep more livestock.... u sld actually add more liverocks to recycle for another month... coz livestock adds to ur bioload... as for the sand wld suggest u add more to a deeper depth... it takes abt 1 yr for the deep seabed to mature.... meanwhile tahan the temptation to buy more livestock get liverocks...

• SRC Member
Top filter attached to a surface skimmer = overflow - that's what the guy in the shop told me? true ?

the logic seems so.

Anyway, what are the other LFS that you guys can recommend which I can go and maybe get some really correct answer ?

hi yellowbelly, i think the posts went off topic.

I would gladly recommend you to visit marine life@hong leong garden, the address is in the LFS stock section.http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5162

As for the LFS you currently go to to buy all your stuff? it would be better to stay away for a while till you know what they trying to sell you.

If an overhead filter is an overflow to them.. :lol: i guess everybody else in the world is wrong.

There are various links all pinned for easy reading.

Read them and you will understand more, post up any issues you don't understand.

THERE ARE NO FISHES THAT ARE TEST KITS- as referred to in a post somewhere. and using an angel is an expensive way to find out. :(

There are cheap test kits and there are expensive test kits.

• SRC Member
Ok, lets start again, since now my tank water is at least 2 months old with weekly 10% waterchange since 1 month ago couple with 2 damsels and cleaners shrimp ( no death for the past 3 weeks ) and 1 kg of liverock. Can I start adding in live stock again ?

If not, what should I test for first ?

This is what I have for testing and chemical solutions:

PH test kit

Ammo test Kit

Ammo Lock 2

Hagen Cycle

Treat your tank as a brand new tank. DO the revelant tests first to find out where you are.

1)pH

2)Ammonia

3)Nitrite (NO2

4)Nitrate (NO3)

There are articles pinned on the cycling stages- this would usually take abt 3-4wks.

ONLY when you test zero for ammonia and Nitrite you are ready to stock.

You should not do a water change during cycling as this will disrupt the cycle (which is why i mentioned to treat your tank as new), you should only do a minor change once the cycle is completed to dilute the nitrates.

You already have the pH & ammonia test kits (but that's only half the basic kit).

as for the Ammo Lock 2 and Hagen Cycle, honestly you do not need these at all. ;)

read up :eyeblur: its all here : http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=6

rgds :)

• SRC Member

Ok, one more thing what is the average temperature of your tank and do you guys use a chiller system ?

My tank temperature would on a cooling day be around 27 - 28 degree and on a hot day - 28 - 30 degree is it ok ?

Baywater - so should I start a totally new tank with brand new marine water since my so call overflow system is not correct ? I think I got to get a new tank already

If yes, What about my existing live stock....who can look after for me ? for the next one month ?

the temperature thing is dependent on ambient temperature. some people claim to be able to hit 26degs using fan only. while it sounds a bit far fetched, it may be possible if you're ambient temperature is just slightly higher...say 28 to 30deg. (=

as for chiller. well. you can configure to the temperature that you want your tank to achieve. :P

• SRC Member
Ok, one more thing what is the average temperature of your tank and do you guys use a chiller system ?

My tank temperature would on a cooling day be around 27 - 28 degree and on a hot day - 28 - 30 degree is it ok ?

Baywater - so should I start a totally new tank with brand new marine water since my so call overflow system is not correct ? I think I got to get a new tank already

If yes, What about my existing live stock....who can look after for me ? for the next one month ?

u got me wrong, i meant treat your current tank as a new setup- test the parameters and you will get a rough idea of where you are in the cycle or at least what kind of water quality you have now. ;) once you have done the basic tests you will know if you are ready to add more live stock.

terry answered your temp question. If fish only with live rocks- 28c to 30c is fine but remember that higher temps means less oxygen in the water so make sure there is ample surface agitation(good water movement).

• SRC Member
u got me wrong, i meant treat your current tank as a new setup- test the parameters and you will get a rough idea of where you are in the cycle or at least what kind of water quality you have now. once you have done the basic tests you will know if you are ready to add more live stock.

terry answered your temp question. If fish only with live rocks- 28c to 30c is fine but remember that higher temps means less oxygen in the water so make sure there is ample surface agitation(good water movement).

So by adding in an extra air pump will aerate the tank right ?

Okie, I will test the parameter...but since you say adding a surface skimmer to a top filter is not a overflow system...would it better to get a new tank and start the whole process over again ? :unsure:

Anyway, guys any recommended brand for 1)Nitrite (NO2 2)Nitrate (NO3)

To reeferguy and other, I apologize if I got mad, I understand that you guys are lover of marine fish and cannot stand others who do not know the basic and jump right into it. :angel:

We cool about that ? :P