Roidan's 4ft tank

roidan

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

roidan,

I think the branches are just to many. Half with quantity of branches and increase more live rocks will look much better.

Also, would you be knid to share with us the full view of your running sump?

cheers.

yeah lor..i think i went on a shopping spree that time...grabbed as many nice coraline encrusted branches as possible..haha

now sump lit up by a single 54w t5...thinking of putting another t5 and then put nice nice mushies in there...hehehe...or even use clams as nitrate reduction method?? a bit unorthodox though, but the water depth is only about 6 inches...i think 2 54W T5s may provide just enough light for clams ....

just did a salifert test on nitrate, did the medium range comparison and it was about 10ppm.....and i double check with the low range...was 100/10= 10ppm...so should be roughly correct...

hmm..assuming nitrites is already 0.25ppm....and current nitrates is 10ppm... i dun think the 0.25ppm nitrites would make the final nitrates count to more than 25 ppm right?

any bros here more familiar with the nitrites to nitrates conversion? :thanks:

hi roidan.. frm previous posts,i saw u say u nuke those worms in ur LRs..how u do it? cos i encounter grossy worms in there..  :pinch:

yeah...when i got the rocks..i dipped them for awhile in freshwater, and little mantis shrimps and worms come out of the holes....never mind the die offs...part of the cycling process anyway...and i rather kill everything in there then to risk any livestock or corals getting harmed by them....

those worms..u will never imagine how long a worm can stay in a small rock....i kept dropping the rocks whenever i see the worms crawl out..they are about 1 cm wide and very very long....and over 1 foot long... :sick:

another way is to hypersalinity dip..meaning dip the rocks in a solution of 1.030 ..those pest will come running out also...

i did it the hyposalinity way, meaning not saltwater at all...hehe

i tried the freshwater way too..nothing came out after 20mins dipping my LR in it.. only bubbles!! how sia..maybe i shld try dropping the LR to try? :shock:

i dropped the rocks not to get them out..but coz i freaked out..hahaha

if 20 minutes nothing come out..should be clear of pests liao..actually hor...the moment u dip the rock into the freshwater...u should move the rock around to see any traces of worms poking their body out of the hole..then either pull them out and engage in a tug of war or use pincers...

while u are doing that, i recommend you to wear gloves.... :P

wan,Nov 13 2003, 09:08 AM] how to get a mantis shrimp out of a rock of buttons? full of buttons

if u are sure of which hole the mantis shrimp is in...what most people would do is to get the rock out for a while and then inject some water into the hole to get the shrimp crawling out....either freshwater or very high salinity water (>1.030) into the hole...in that case die offs from other parts of the rocks is minimal....

some even suggest pouring hot water into the hole of the mantis :blink::blink:

i caught the worm already! brown one with spiky legs..ard 5cm long..gross! all i do is put into fresh water!  :D

lucky yours is 5cm long.....haha..

if u really KS, u put in freshwater for some time...then put in saltwater for some time, then put back in freshwater...do it at intervals....if the pests can tahan all these and stay in their hole. they deserve the SURVIVAL award

actually to most, worms are quite ok and are even part of the group of beneficial stuff that help to stir your sandbed....but i am wary of some worms that might attack clams...so i rather kill all the good and bad in the rocks and then seed the rocks with better quality rocks from CF....