new setup

hi all,

i'm a newbie to this interesting hobby. i've recently converted my juwel aquarium 100cm x 45cm x 55cm which used to housed discus into a marine tank........ bought some equipments from p**ma** at serangoon north yesterday......... used up about 600 bucks........ what else hv i left out? pls enlighten me.......

ehiem pro II external filter $238

red sea prizm protein skimmer $188

hydrometer $15

ph, kh, nitrite test kits $30

30 kg grade 0 sand $18

6.6kg salt wif multivits $18

beneficial bacteria $25

4 cooling fans $60

will be buying 1 marine white light 10000k, 1 actinic blue light 10000k, 2 reflectors........ r these enuff......... what else do i need????? wave maker????........

i intend to run both the ehiem external filter and the juwel internal filter. will this work???? very confused....... heard that prizm skimmer not that good either....... pls help!!!!!

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

very similar to my setup except I using 150w BLV 10kk MH and one AC cooling fan. Temp stays around 26-28deg C depending on the ambient temp. Need constant topping up of water so I setup a drip system of 1 drop/sec else too much evaporation.

Now tempting to go for 4ft or 5ft tank. Cannot resist the temptation heheh.

• SRC Member
hi all,

i'm a newbie to this interesting hobby. i've recently converted my juwel aquarium 100cm x 45cm x 55cm which used to housed discus into a marine tank........ bought some equipments from p**ma** at serangoon north yesterday......... used up about 600 bucks........ what else hv i left out? pls enlighten me.......

ehiem pro II external filter $238

red sea prizm protein skimmer $188

hydrometer $15

ph, kh, nitrite test kits $30

30 kg grade 0 sand $18

6.6kg salt wif multivits $18

beneficial bacteria $25

4 cooling fans $60

will be buying 1 marine white light 10000k, 1 actinic blue light 10000k, 2 reflectors........ r these enuff......... what else do i need????? wave maker????........

i intend to run both the ehiem external filter and the juwel internal filter. will this work???? very confused....... heard that prizm skimmer not that good either....... pls help!!!!!

Ur setup almost the same as mine. I've also converted my FW to marine and is using Ehiem Pro II 2026 cannister. :)

In your list, you did not mention LR? I think you'll need ard 30 -40kg of them.

As for lights, I think you need to do some research more on what you intend to keep before deciding on what type of lights you need, PL, T5 or MH? Just a note, MH will normally result in gettting chiller although some of fellow reefers are able to maintain the temp using diy fans (not easy tot).

Wavemaker will cause quite a fair bit, many people uses just powerhead instead.

Enjoy your new hobby. cheers

• SRC Member

It really depends on what you intend to keep...if you keeping sps...Try a Tunze Stream although it cost a bomb by my standard... :P

If just FOWLR with some simple mushrooms and zoos...powerheads should do and I would recomend Maxijets as they emit lower temperature compared to others and they are so compact yet efficient...like chilli padi... :lol:

thks guys, i did my homework on this forum b4, alas i was 2 busy attending the aquarama to find out more that i've forgotten everything......... thought i could get a better deal at aquarama but ended up buying everything from p**ma** as they sell cheaper........ anyway, if i put 30 to 40kg lr into my tank, then i wouldn't be left wif much space to play wif oredi right????

Austin's Birthday

.png

shop next door??? rainb** u mean???? they r pirates!!!!!! i'm gullible but not stoopid........ i'm a newbie..... gimme a break....... anyhoo, i intend to keep about 10 fishes........ 1 larger size, the rest small....... and some crusteans........ wif some corals......... would like to keep anemone if possible....... can all these be done in my tank????? what kind of lights do i need then????

Austin's Birthday

.png

by the way, anyone think i've been rob judging from the prices i've bought my stuff........ juz curious????

nope. not in my humble opinion.

I still think Petmart gives a fairly competitve pricing for their products. and if you have their membership card, can clock up discount points. like me! I bought my two 1262s from them and my AquaSentry. woohoo. :P

thks teriansimon, that's great to hear....... by the way, will 3 to 3.5" #0 sand be enuff for a dsb........ do i need more sand? if i do, #0 or#1????

now that I really don't know. best you read up more regarding DSB....

most websites will recommend up to six inches of DSB. and there is a reason behind it...a reason which I myself am not really aware of.

but for your tank if you have a six inch DSB, you'll have a very "short" tank left. :P so must weigh out the pros and cons of having a full DSB. hehz.

and #0 of course. #1 also can...but most people use #0. (=

thks, if i wanna keep lr, wif corals, some anemones, what kind of lights should i use and how many?????/ currently, i'm thinking of getting 1 marine white light 10000k and a blue actinic light....... will these be enuff....... and roughly how much they cost???

Austin's Birthday

.png