New Pico/Nano tank

Jameshong

Hi,

Can anyone recommend hangon filter come with skimmer feature and 1ft lighting set? Pls provides the brand and price too if possible.

Thanks

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

basically i only run my tank with skimmer without a filter.

i think only jebo has the skimmer ###### filter equipment which is about 30 dollars not too sure)

a great investment will be the prizm deluxe ( surface skimmer with media box) which is about 250

the aquamedic biostar flotor is a great skimmer for nano . very efficient and quiet and come with a rotary sponge for bacteria to cultured on. ( $350)

tunze nano is a great skimmer at about 200. but i have no experience in using that.

a plus as it is very thin.

tunze nano reefpack. saw a few in aquamarine, u might wanna check out on that. look cool. and ya, i believe it come with filter/skimmer

MCE 300 which is about 350 . saw the actual unit in action and was impressed by it's performance for a nano.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

whats the diff between surface skimmer and a norm skimmer? they dn perform the same function right?

surface skimmer remove a layer of oil/debris or scum from the surface of water by rechanneling the surface water to other places such as skimmer or canister.

a skimmer employ air fractional distillation method to remove DOC within marine system. ;)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

basically i only run my tank with skimmer without a filter.

i think only jebo has the skimmer ###### filter equipment which is about 30 dollars not too sure)

a great investment will be the prizm deluxe ( surface skimmer with media box) which is about 250

the aquamedic biostar flotor is a great skimmer for nano . very efficient and quiet and come with a rotary sponge for bacteria to cultured on. ( $350)

tunze nano is a great skimmer at about 200. but i have no experience in using that.

a plus as it is very thin.

tunze nano reefpack. saw a few in aquamarine, u might wanna check out on that. look cool. and ya, i believe it come with filter/skimmer

MCE 300 which is about 350 . saw the actual unit in action and was impressed by it's performance for a nano.

All skimmer is too big and ex for my 30cm tank liao except Jebo :yeah: that you mentioned is still considerable. 2 things to clarify... this jebo bulit in skimmer is a surface type, am i right? Wat's the flow rate har?

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

The Jebo one - is only a surface skimmer. That means it only removes the oily layer on the surface of water. The flow rate is quite okay as I use it for my 2ft tank and it "stirs up" the water so that there is flow all over the tank. My tank is 18 inches high.

For your 30cm tank, I guess the height is only 20cm, then this will be very high current generated in the tank. Very high flow rate.

In my opinion, there are these few equipment for low-cost nano tank - they are skimmer, cansister, powerhead for flow, so this Jebo can actually fulfil these functions except the skimming.

Good luck! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi Jameshong

I saw your forum thread when i was looking for a 30*18*20 tank.

I am a newbie and would need some advice for nano marine/reef tank setup.

I was doubtful if the livestocks will stay alive in such small tank.

Need your expertise to advice on:

- what are the necessary equipment to get, i.e. any chiller required? (as i heard/read 2ft and below do not need unless we wish to have it on our own accord which is good too)

- what sort of livestock suitable for nano tanks of this size?

- is $60 expensive for a 30*18*20cm tank? i saw in thomson plaza, they have another bigger one 30*26*31cm (H) selling at $98. Both includes the filter and light etc but i think i will probably need to change some of the stuff.

- should i just DIY the whole tank myself instead of buying the set and add on other stuff after?

- any recommendation/suggestion where to buy?

Pardon my many questions. Just excited about setting up the right way - wana minimise the killing of too many fishes in the process...

Hope to hear from your soon :thanks:

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Don't mean to discourage you. However, I have tried a similar sized tank with the kind of equipments that you are considering. The result: 3 times whole tank crashed and restarted 3 times. I was very inexperienced to marine tank back then too, first tank wayyyyyyy overstocked. Take a look at one of my old photo.

Now after experimenting and learning with a 1.5ft tank for close to 2 years, finally put down good money to buy proper tank and equipments. Good quality equipment (and size of tank) plays a very important role. Need to gather a lot of knowledge about this hobby too, in order to know what to buy, test, add, dose, change etc.

So, welcome to the world of marine tank keeping. It's comforting to know that most newbies started almost the same manner.

post-14187-1203707587.jpg

paisey arh ur tank is freshwater or marine ???

look liek got luohan n scat inside ?

His may be Fresh and salt in one tank... :pinch: ???

paisey arh ur tank is freshwater or marine ???

look liek got luohan n scat inside ?

Very cool huh? Even can keep reef fish (clown) in fresh water tank.

It's a fresh water tank converted to marine. Lots of DIY stuff. This is my learning & experimenting tank. Now experimenting with AZ-NO3 on this tank (with a protein skimmer).

I just bought a new JBJ HQ1 nano-cube last week. Rock scape and equipment all setup already. Now in the cycling process. Have to learn more about how to control the water parameters of a marine tank, so I experiment with my converted tank, with cheap (and free) marine fishes.

By the way, that is not Louhan. It's Tilapia caught at Pasir Ris main (big) pond, already adjusted to salt water conditions. As for the Leopard Scat, it was caught at Bedok Jetty while we were jigging for Tamban, so that fish is also a marine fish.

Once my JBJ HQ1 is ready, and once I started stocking ... I will post the pictures for you guys to see.

P/S. AZ-NO3 users: The nitrate level does drop, but very slowly leh. Why some users reported that it can drop from 30 ppm to 5 ppm overnight?

Another question for ROWA-PHOS users: Does the original stuff comes in a semi-wet condition. Not like totally dried food pellets, but rather a moist black almost "jelly" like texture? Or, did I got conned? Paid high price for fake goods?

Once my JBJ HQ1 is ready, and once I started stocking ... I will post the pictures for you guys to see.

Hi guys,

My JBJ 28g nano HQI has finished cycling. We have started stocking it up with fishes. Still at the begining stage. Will wait for tank to further mature before starting to add Corals. Enjoy the pictures.

post-14187-1204217565.jpg

post-14187-1204217584.jpg

post-14187-1204217597.jpg

• SRC Member

I have been using AZ No3 for the past 4 months and I can osay nitrate can be reduced to undetactable by Test Kit.

Az- to3 dosing is a slow and consistent process, and the tank needs time to acclimate the dosing, initial dosing will cloud the water but no worries, just follow the instruction , for 28g 1st time dosing 1-2 drop and so forth...

once your tank goes past the initial dosing stage Imeasure the No3 I believe it will still be high, my exprience with JBJ 24G, 100ppm nitrate, after the initial dosing it took me 5 days to reduce the nitrate to 0 with each night dosing of 7ml of AZ- NO3.

Since the dosing of AZ-NO3 I have changed the water of my tank and I only dose suppliments.

and once no nitrate is detacted i will stop dosing and will dose agin when Nitrate reach 50ppm, btw I reduced my coral feeding load to once every 5 days,

I used to feed once ever 3 days, with brine shrimp mixed with cyclopiz mixed with aquapham 5 in 1 mixed with coral frenzy and reed bugzz, now in order to reduce nitrat I feed brine shrimp once a week and 4 days once with cyclopiz and 5 in 1 and coral frenzy.

Hopw this helnp

enjoy

I have been using AZ No3 for the past 4 months and I can osay nitrate can be reduced to undetactable by Test Kit.

Since the dosing of AZ-NO3 I have changed the water of my tank and I only dose suppliments.

and once no nitrate is detacted i will stop dosing and will dose agin when Nitrate reach 50ppm, btw I reduced my coral feeding load to once every 5 days,

Hi Bro,

Thank you for your help in replying to my question regarding AZ-NO3. Yes, your experience sharing helps a lot in aiding my formulation of water change routine and general supplement dosing mix.

I believe you meant to say you don"t change water now that Nitrate level is close to zero, Is that correct? I am also looking for ways to delay water change to perhaps every 2 months or so.

The first water change is a must, of course, and I did a 50% change. NO3 dropped from pre-water change level of 40+ppm to after water change level of 20ppm. Then I started dosing AZ-NO3 on this JBJ tank, and 2 days later .... NO3 level is 5ppm. Quite good result on this tank i suspect is the better protein skimmer on this tank. Ammonia, Nitrite levels all 0ppm, can sleep easy.

Also using low phosphate activated carbon, and ROWA-PHOS in the filter media. So, that is my strategy to delay water change as long as possible. Mixing salt is no fun. ;-) ... I am using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt mix, damn good quality, but expensive .... around S$30 for 4kg, which gets you around 120 liters.

As for dosing, I am using Aquapharm part A & B, 5-in-1 coral food ... and of course regular dosing of AZ-NO3. Just wonder is there any harm to consistently do daily dose of AZ-NO3 ... any experienced brothers out there can answer this?

Cycopleez, what kind of coral eat this? General feeding by pouring some into the water or do we need to do "spot feeding", by targeting at coral's mouth? I thought 5-in-1 coral food is already enough?

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Thank you for your help in replying to my question regarding AZ-NO3. Yes, your experience sharing helps a lot in aiding my formulation of water change routine and general supplement dosing mix.

I believe you meant to say you don"t change water now that Nitrate level is close to zero, Is that correct? I am also looking for ways to delay water change to perhaps every 2 months or so.

The first water change is a must, of course, and I did a 50% change. NO3 dropped from pre-water change level of 40+ppm to after water change level of 20ppm. Then I started dosing AZ-NO3 on this JBJ tank, and 2 days later .... NO3 level is 5ppm. Quite good result on this tank i suspect is the better protein skimmer on this tank. Ammonia, Nitrite levels all 0ppm, can sleep easy.

Also using low phosphate activated carbon, and ROWA-PHOS in the filter media. So, that is my strategy to delay water change as long as possible. Mixing salt is no fun. ;-) ... I am using Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt mix, damn good quality, but expensive .... around S$30 for 4kg, which gets you around 120 liters.

As for dosing, I am using Aquapharm part A & B, 5-in-1 coral food ... and of course regular dosing of AZ-NO3. Just wonder is there any harm to consistently do daily dose of AZ-NO3 ... any experienced brothers out there can answer this?

Cycopleez, what kind of coral eat this? General feeding by pouring some into the water or do we need to do "spot feeding", by targeting at coral's mouth? I thought 5-in-1 coral food is already enough?

I am dosing AZ-No3 for 4 months continuouly and did not notice any adverse effect on the corals.

Az-NO3 is very expensive, for 24g tank , one bottle can last for like 45 days and each bottle cost 26, I think for bros with lager tank it is more economical to use Denitrator ro export the No3.

I do target feeding as I can see the cortals earing the food and it makes me happy, and will on the wavemaker to circulate the remaining food for 30min before turining on the main pump and skimmer.

After target feeding my tongue coral will look like this

SOme times at about 3-4am it will baloon to a size of a small tennis ball.

I use cyclopize to stimulate the make the corals open up for feeding as the smell of cyclopize attrcts the corals.

ENjoy

post-7116-1204339812.jpg

After target feeding my tongue coral will look like this

SOme times at about 3-4am it will baloon to a size of a small tennis ball.

I use cyclopize to stimulate the make the corals open up for feeding as the smell of cyclopize attrcts the corals.

ENjoy

Wow, that's a very beautiful piece of coral. I am still learning how to keep coral. My prior experiences with marine tanks have all been fishes only.

Today we added some more cleaning crew and one piece of coral that is easy to take care of (that's what the LFS guy said). Enjoy the pictures.

post-14187-1204388154.jpg

post-14187-1204388170.jpg

post-14187-1204388183.jpg

post-14187-1204388193.jpg

• SRC Member
Wow, that's a very beautiful piece of coral. I am still learning how to keep coral. My prior experiences with marine tanks have all been fishes only.

Today we added some more cleaning crew and one piece of coral that is easy to take care of (that's what the LFS guy said). Enjoy the pictures.

yes indeed jewel coral is very easy to keep, and nice hermit crab...

enjoy