gave up hope on 4ft

i went to aquarama recently and saw the prices....i was aiming at a setup below $400, but i discovered that i need at least $1000 to set up a tank, so giving up on the idea for now...

i'm going to work as relief teacher after my A's, if i can survive 2mths i might get that tank, somemore @ night i might work as waiter....

so i'm going to buy my tank either only at feb. or not at all till i reach uni. or start working at least

i can't belive an 'ordinary' skimmer for a 4ft. costs 100 bucks... neither can i belive that an 'ordinary canister costs 200bucks and a 4ft w/ stand costs 300 bucks... and a hood costs another 200 bucks....chiller costs 300 bucks for 4ft. totally put off by the prices, TOTALLY, i mean its just pieces of plastic right???? heck, i can buy a PS2 with a flat screen TV and a cabinet by just the price of the chiller and filter system alone....somemore can keep much less fish than FW..

i might not have the heart to blow my hard earned cash on such a tank, so maybe i'll set it up in uni. as i'll be spending very little in NS cos want to spend also no time to spend

can anyone do a rundown on the prices for a 4ft. tank that is planned to keep corals and evantually SPS?

Tank and stand: 300-400?

filter sysem(canister): 200?

skimmer: 100?

chiller: 300?

hood: 200?

blulbs: 100?????(dared not ask in aquarama)

whatelse: ??????

fish: 100?

corals: 150???

total estimate: $1450

3 times the price i was aiming......

sakura_japan.jpg

I don't have time to do a breakdown but for a fully stocked SPS 4ft tank with MH, chillers, calcium reactor, LR, SPS corals, pumps, sump, piping, skimmer, additives, test kits, saltmix, etc.

You are looking at a range of at least $3000 to $6000 or higher. Excluding transport costs!

Who said this hobby was a cheap one? ;)

• SRC Supporter
I don't have time to do a breakdown but for a fully stocked SPS 4ft tank with MH, chillers, calcium reactor, LR, SPS corals, pumps, sump, piping, skimmer, additives, test kits, saltmix, etc.

You are looking at a range of at least $3000 to $6000 or higher. Excluding transport costs!

$3k to $6k....hmmm ...

You sure????

Think its gonna cost way much more than that... and you forgot to mention to him the requirement to feed SP.....

• SRC Member
i went to aquarama recently and saw the prices....i was aiming at a setup below $400, but i discovered that i need at least $1000 to set up a tank, so giving up on the idea for now...

i'm going to work as relief teacher after my A's, if i can survive 2mths i might get that tank, somemore @ night i might work as waiter....

so i'm going to buy my tank either only at feb. or not at all till i reach uni. or start working at least

i can't belive an 'ordinary' skimmer for a 4ft. costs 100 bucks... neither can i belive that an 'ordinary canister costs 200bucks and a 4ft w/ stand costs 300 bucks... and a hood costs another 200 bucks....chiller costs 300 bucks for 4ft. totally put off by the prices, TOTALLY, i mean its just pieces of plastic right???? heck, i can buy a PS2 with a flat screen TV and a cabinet by just the price of the chiller and filter system alone....somemore can keep much less fish than FW..

i might not have the heart to blow my hard earned cash on such a tank, so maybe i'll set it up in uni. as i'll be spending very little in NS cos want to spend also no time to spend

can anyone do a rundown on the prices for a 4ft. tank that is planned to keep corals and evantually SPS?

Tank and stand: 300-400?

filter sysem(canister): 200?

skimmer: 100?

chiller: 300?

hood: 200?

blulbs: 100?????(dared not ask in aquarama)

whatelse: ??????

fish: 100?

corals: 150???

total estimate: $1450

3 times the price i was aiming......

maybe you should start up slowly.. and get each stuff one at a time... unless you got the money.. :P

skimmer get weipro also can ma for low end users... i saw weipro 2011 $50 bucks can get liao... anyway, you should try looking around, maybe you can get second hand items.. save a lot.. :heh:

$3k to $6k....hmmm ...

You sure????

Think its gonna cost way much more than that... and you forgot to mention to him the requirement to feed SP.....

I'm just being conservative. :lol:

Some people can make do with cheapo items and DIY stuff and stock with cheaper poorer quality livestock.

If you get as hardcore as some of us... prepare to spend x 2 of the higher amount stated. ;)

• SRC Supporter

I'm just being conservative. :lol:

Some people can make do with cheapo items and DIY stuff and stock with cheaper poorer quality livestock.

If you get as hardcore as some of us... prepare to spend x 2 of the higher amount stated. ;)

Man..... I already trying so hard, already cheapo mindset and even DIying own equipments ..... however still fork lots of $$$$ for my reef..... :(

• SRC Supporter

its nv cheap to start maine hobby,unles u save up.but even duh u do..at the end of the day u might think that its not worth the $ but its like bring a part of the sea back into ur home looks cool ya ;)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

4ft we're talking about 50kg of LR. $7/kg being the cheapest i've come across, 50kg would easily be $350. and i reckon you need about 80kg of sand for your dsb. $6/10kg pack being the cheapest sand i've come across, that's another $48. all in all, the sandbed and your rockwork will be $398, at least.

i was aiming at a setup below $400, but i discovered that i need at least $1000 to set up a tank, so giving up on the idea for now.........

Bro....that's why I am always seen loitering outside banks with cameras and sketch pads......keke......................

eversince I bought my car and started reef keeping....I am forced into carbo diet(cheaper- explains my size)....no more juicy and yummy protein diets...sob...sob (steak...when is the last time I tasted ...

reef keeping takes a lot of time and $$$...once you are in...hard to get out anymore.....

If you are in budget, den i advice you don't go into reef keeping. Well maybe FOWLR is much cheaper but on average it still cost more than FW.

Thats why now when you walk on the street, look out for a very skinny boy and that is most probably me as i save tons of $$$ by cutting down on everything including skipping meal thus undergo malnutrition. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you are in budget, den i advice you don't go into reef keeping. Well maybe FOWLR is much cheaper but on average it still cost more than FW.

Thats why now when you walk on the street, look out for a very skinny boy and that is most probably me as i save tons of $$$ by cutting down on everything including skipping meal thus undergo malnutrition. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Go Carbo, bro....cheap and filling :off::off::off: ...kidding...

Btw....you can go slow first lah...I am setting up my third tank....planning and buying equipments veri slowly.... :lol:

Go Carbo, bro....cheap and filling :off::off::off: ...kidding...

Btw....you can go slow first lah...I am setting up my third tank....planning and buying equipments veri slowly.... :lol:

Then i think you need to get one more job to keep up at this rate you are going :lol::lol::lol::lol::off::off:

Now you know..... so AT is a loaded guy :P:D:lol:

guess how much he spend on his tank??? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

At present the cost of my 2 ft tank cost about $2.5k.

That is inclusive of Eheim filter, Prizm Skimmer, LR, fish, coral, supplements, food, etc...etc.

This hobby is definitely not cheap.

Started thinking about it since NS time and finally got it 3 months ago at the age of 30. :eyebrow: