4x2.5ft Starphire Panel

Eminem

• SRC Member

Was told that their is now made-in-China low iron glass available at a very low price - something like $50 per sq metre.......just whether you trust made-in-China goods or not...... Remember all those shower screens that shattered in Sengkang - Made in China :ph34r:;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Structually the same - just more expensive as they have to process it to lower the iron content of the glass.

BTW, Starphire is just a brand name - there are other brands available. Mine is not Starphire and it costs about maybe 1/3-1/2 of AT's.

• SRC Member

Nobody makes it here as a stock item. I got mine through my contractor - figured it may be easier for a contractor to ask as we only need small pieces and the dealers may not entertain private individuals. Got mine fromSingapore Safety Glass

Alternatively tell your tank maker to order from them - most of them should know who these people are. I do not recommend approaching them direct.

• SRC Member

Float glass is just regular glass - pretty much all glass is made by this method nowadays. The molten glass is poured onto a bed of mercury (I think) and allowed to find it's own level and harden. This way, the glass surface should be totally smooth and flat.

In the old days, molten glass was rolled to flatten it out to give thin sheets - as you can imagine, it would not be as smooth, regular or precise in thickness manufactured this way.

There a few brands of such low-iron clear glass. Hunted like mad but only managed to track down starphire a few years ago. Good to hear that there are cheaper alternatives (from china?? :huh: )

Good to see that there are other people like me locally who appreciate investing into clear glass for better viewing of their tank inhabitants! :)

• SRC Member
Float glass is just regular glass - pretty much all glass is made by this method nowadays. The molten glass is poured onto a bed of mercury (I think) and allowed to find it's own level and harden. This way, the glass surface should be totally smooth and flat.

In the old days, molten glass was rolled to flatten it out to give thin sheets - as you can imagine, it would not be as smooth, regular or precise in thickness manufactured this way.

Wah...chim... :blink:

• SRC Member

Heehee, I will be getting my tank maker to make me a tank with Sapphire front panel tank. Saving now!

Like what marinebetta said, I am like paying for 2 tank. At least, I dun need to call my friend to climb up & dwn just to see the clam true colour.

U pay for wat you get. :evil:

Wei :)

• SRC Member

its molten tin not mecury :lol:

• SRC Member
Starphire are weaker glass compared to float glass as they have a lower iron content so you will need a much thicker starphire compared to float glass

For normal glass, a 10mm glass should suffice. Then what is the thickness for a normal 4ft x 2ft x 2.5ft tank using low iron glass ?