Serious Discussion on Buying / Selling / Trading

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
I"ve been conned big time before when buying a camera lens from yahoo auctions, so I"m speaking from experience. firstly legally wise, if there is a meet up and inspection of goods, one party cannot claim to be ignorant of defects, however it is possible to claim misrepresentation if the seller makes untrue claims which the buyer takes as truth and buys WITHOUT any inspection, ie taking his word for it. which was what I did. which was how I was conned. another thing, small claims tribunal requires IC info to lodge a claim, so if you dont' have buyer's particulars, you can forget about it.

so what I propose is

1) all who are interested in buying selling, give his particulars to AT (must be verified somehow) to hold them contactable and accountable.

2) mods must be the mediators and "judge" in event of disputes. if mods are reasonable and either party refuses to cooperate then banning is in order. (reasonable like asking both parties to nullify the deal)

3) I believe all it takes is accurate descriptions, and also sellers who are willing to take back their goods within a reasonable time period like 1 week or maybe even 3 days when buyers aren't satisfied.

4) I like the current situation where concerned reefers post info which correct the seller who gave misinformation or heavily overpriced goods, I think it should be encouraged as long as no strong words are used but plain facts stated like eg seller sell for $100 but LFS sell for $20, def someone should complain.

Dont think SRC should have to nor have the manpower/time to do such moderations. This is not eBay. SRC dont make a profit from these sales and thus should not need to bear the burden.

The buyer should have the common sense to get seller house/HPnumber. When collection is made, for more expensive items, inspect at the seller place lor. Try to pickup at seller's place then you know where he lives. I always ask buyers if they wish to inspect the item at my place first when I sells items. If seller refuse, they are either very very shy people(spore still got such people meh?), house just got bombed or got something to hide.

Make sure all's well and working before paying for the item. If it's sub standard goods or if you have any doubts, terminate the transaction. The other thing would be like what you do on ebay, go through the seller's post and judge for yourself if he's a trust worthy person lor. Just that dont have a feedback system. But dont think a feedback system will work. Will create problems and the bugger can always re-register another nick.

Buy wisely. Dont be blur and Check carefully. Beware of buyers who contact only via PM and dont pass numbers and dont let you pick up from their place.

Jus my humble opinion. :D:D

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Buyers! Wake up! Do your research before buying stuff in this forum.

If in doubt ask about the product in question. It could be addressed to the buyers in the sales thread or addressed to everyone in the general forums, e.g. "What do you guys think about ###### pumps" or something like that.

Do not make comments unrelated to the sales in the sales thread itself. If you are not there to buy or sell; don't post. It's still basic courtesy even if the seller is a conman.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I am still very new to the hobby. One of the things that a newbie is most afraid of is kanna con.

It will be good to make any sale price public. Should there be any comments on pricing, it should be personal comments.

There might be some bad boys out to make some bucks but that is unavoidable and happens in life.

Ultimately the purchase should be only between the buyer and seller. Therefore be wise and ask if in doubt.

Again this is my personal opinion.

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member
Willing Seller and Buyer market.

1) I totally agree that a precise description of the product is needed.

2) Followed by an pic or more of the actual product.

My past careless incident has proven some misunderstandings.

3) As of course, if there are defects on the item, spell them out before the monetary transaction takes place.

4) Buyers has the right to reject the item upon delivery if found unsatifactory.

There is no such issue of embarass to do so.

5) Similarly, Sellers has all rights to hold the sale upon delivery if there is an unsatisfactory negotiation on the price of the product at that point of time.

Of course, I do not think that delibrate misrepresentation will happen here. Sellers here should have a sound mind not to conduct such acts. As he or she will not be expecting repeated sales from unsatisfied customers.

I'm new here and already experience some unpleasantness in the buy and sell section and of course some nice experience too.

I honestly sympathise with flubberina over the (food for sampling incident), luckily she didnt take it to heart and leave the community.

Anyway back to the ethics issue. I think some seller needs to be educated in being responsible for what they are selling till the end, whether they changed their mind about selling after posting the thread or after negotiating.

At least have the courtesy to inform the interested buyer thru PM or post on the thread whether the item is sold or not for sale anymore. There's nothing to be embarassed about.

But by keeping mum or even not replying to PM from potential buyer wanting to collect the items or view the items is very irresponsible and will bring about misunderstandings and inconvenience.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Oh yes talking about ethical issues - one really ought to be ethical about it.

1) Sellers : Confirming sales or any other arrangements (like holding for buyers due to request(s) must keep to the conditions applied in the offer/acceptance and/or promises).

2) Buyers : Once confirmed on the buying must adhere to the done deal, if no money to buy for some reasons like smoking too much (i mean buying cigarettes) then tell the seller direct so that he/she will not lose out on the opportunity to re-advertise or let go to the 2nd and or 3rd person down the line.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 1 month later...

To my personal opinion, buying and selling is simple

Just arrange between both party seller and buyer

view the selling item before any money trasection and take a digital Photo at the time of selling.

Compare the item when buyer receive the item with the digital photo taken than the last thing money transection.

Simple right :idea:

Reminder: I will repeat this again.

You are all GROWN UP adults... behave like one when dealing with one another.

Basic courtesy, manners, honour are expected to be displayed. Good communication skills are also important... practice it, improve on it.

If you have to deal with your friends, colleagues and strangers and not look like a turn-off, certainly don't give your fellow hobbyist any less thought.

Be considerate, be noble, be honest, be open, be transparent.

There are a few rotten eggs around but some clashes are because of poor communication and EQ skills.... so practice a bit of giving face and giving leeway too.

But SPEAK clearly and simply.... and you will not go off the beaten track.

And of course, buyers beware. ;)

• 1 year later...

Heard from the grapevine that a hobbyist here is targetting newbies by marking up the resale price of ordinary corals by many times and trying to convince them that's its either a good/rare specimen and worth the price quoted.

If you spend the time asking around the LFS and fellow hobbyists about the market price, you won't fall into this trap.

Beware and please report with solid evidence if any so others won't fall victim.

Thank you and be safe!

• 10 months later...

I guess there should be a list of "aeroplanes buyers" on a warning lists. So that the seller will have a feel of how reliable are those queries coming in.

Likewise, browser should never comment on a seller's product if he is not buying. If he got something to share, just go ahead and PM him and not comment directly on his advertisement unless it's something good.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Just joined SRC and I think there are many useful and truthful hobbyists here. I am from India and all I want to say is that can we have an official carrier/courier who would carry the stuff to be delivered in India. We can always transact money by Western Union.

If we can use each others resources and knowledge, then the whole association with this forum and finally the hobby is benefitted.

Willing to hear from you all.

Oh, yes, I agree with the different points that all fellow reefers have made.

Great job. Just am happy to be here.

Regards