Discussion: Alkalinity vs calcium

• SRC Member

I support best coloration result from 9dkh and above with calcium of 360ppm ++ (minmum) is acceptable. Mg of 1200 ~ 1400 will help SPS speed up the skeleton building process -from an article.

If you noticed that there's a new trend in German to keep dkh low at around 6~8dkh and calcium at 360ppm using the ZEROVIT system. The German also have much...much colorful tanks than American or miles ahead of ours.

It seems that everyone will have different result. But I do believe that SPS will have a better chance of coloring up with a lower stocking system and a system without refugium. The German using ZEROVIT do not use Caulpera algae(refugium). I believe the chemical warfare tend to limit the colorations: theory from German SPS keepers.

:blink:

Max

Yeah, know about this ZEOVIT system from my HK distributor friend... he has been bugging me to try and introduce to fellow hobbyists here... but for a tank my size.. *gulp*.... perhaps one day, when my quest for brighter colours will lead me there...

• SRC Supporter
Yeah, know about this ZEOVIT system from my HK distributor friend... he has been bugging me to try and introduce to fellow hobbyists here... but for a tank my size.. *gulp*.... perhaps one day, when my quest for brighter colours will lead me there...

Ain't these Zeoliite thing already available locally??

Saw some of these at the recent aquarama....

and was tempted to give it a try......

My recent observations with my reef is that SPS are "better coloured" when alk levels are higher.....

Whenever my Acros look dull, I knwo its time to start tweaking with my CO2 feed to my Calcium Reactor....

Spray paint would be cheap and fast. Very bright colours too... ;)

The attraction of SPS corals is to see a tank full of colours and not just the green or brown of LPS. ;)

• SRC Member
time to bring the good stuff in from deutschland.

Ja wohl!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

What if I kena played out again like the calcium media :D:angel::lol:

Seriously, I do not believe in such systems driven solely by $$$, I belong to the old fashion "natural" school. But if there are enough of such crazy people here, I can place the order as early as today.

Same goes for the miracle mud, I have access to very cheap dirt, but never contempulated shipping it in because I do not believe in it.

:peace: I've to say that the ARM Calcium Reactor Media is a extremely good product. I'm waiting for my new 5000 litre capacity Reactor before the purchase of the Media. The main problem with S'pore market is the limited pool of reefer who are serious about this hobby, or brother with the right equipment.

A point to note is that your A.R.M doesn't cost an Arm or Leg, like most other LFS out there. <_<

Max

• SRC Member
The main problem with S'pore market is the limited pool of reefer who are serious about this hobby, or brother with the right equipment.

I see it differently. I feel the underlying cause of the situation is that LS are too available to the public. This removes the attachment one should feel for his/her pet. After all, most will not care so long as cheap replacement livestocks are always around the corner.

• SRC Member
Spray paint would be cheap and fast. Very bright colours too... ;)

The attraction of SPS corals is to see a tank full of colours and not just the green or brown of LPS. ;)

hahaha did anyone say spray paint???? Pass your acros to me, I charge only $5 per acro. I'll make it any colour you want, can even simulate RTN or algae.

• SRC Member
hahaha did anyone say spray paint???? Pass your acros to me, I charge only $5 per acro. I'll make it any colour you want, can even simulate RTN or algae.

Last time I checked, AT was looking for a purple with yellow polka dot patterns acro, Must come with metallic green polyps.

AT: Heard that? There is one such piece for sale at SK, and it only cost $5 plus a dead skeleton :D

• SRC Member

The truth is that in this hobby, for every dollar of livestock, you end up with $10~50$ of investment on equipmnt and maintenance(electricity bills!)-> depends on fowler, Mushrooms, LPS, Mix and SPS :evil: only. A lot of reefers isn't close...... and I can only conclure that they jump into the hobby without proper education. Look at version-1 of sgreef till date. So many have come and go within months to 1 year.

In the earlier post, a typo.................Actualy I meant that your A.R.M doesn't cost an Arm or Leg , unlikely the inflated prices from other FS.

With regards to calcium media, use only the best! I have tried from coral chips, Auqamedic and Tunze. I think the best is still from A.R.M or Aquacare.

:whistle

Max

• SRC Member

Coming back to the point of alk, to boost alk there's 2 ways, using additives or using a calcium reactor. Using additives, would be a good way to boost your alk but like what Tanzy says, we are more interested in boosting carbonates and bicarbonates and not total alk. However, at tank pH of about 8, there are about 98% of bicarbonates while only 2% carbonates. This mixture creates a solution which significantly prevents your tank water to raise above 8 as the bicarb ions readily give up its H+ to counter the OH- increase. However, due to the much much lower carbonate concentration, your tank would not be well protected against pH drops.

Hence in order to result in a better buffering solution against both ups and downs, pH have to be maintained at 8.3. This gives a considerable amount of carbonates and bicarbonates concentration to resist pH swing. So responsible additive manufacturers will have a well mix of these concentrations to help ppl in maintaining their tanks pH and dkh.

However, more often than not, some manufacturers rigged their additives with certain chemicals like borates to boost total alk, as this ions in even very small concentration buffers against pH swing very very well. So after addition, you will find that you might indeed measure with usual test kits that your tank has high alk levels, but maybe underlying, carb and bicarb levels are low... From what i have read, i know seachem uses artificially high concentrations of borates to achieve this.

There is a great debate on the effect of high concentration of borates, in the tank. But i dun wish to comment on that as i personally feel, so long these concentration when deviate from the natural levels to extreme levels, would not be good for the LS.

Hence, knowing what you are adding and in this sense I would think that having a calcium reactor and controlling the quality of your calcium media would be the best solution for now.