• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear about that yazid.

Hope all is fine now.

I'm also planning to get a sump for my 2ft.

Do i need to go for 8mm ?

Or would 6mm be sufficient for 2 footer ?

Guessed including a valve in the pipe from the overflow would be a good investment.

At least you could stop the flow from main tank instead of seeing the water keep flowing down till its below the overflow's teeth when needs be.

• SRC Member

Reading so much on refugium. Was thinking of designing on for my 2 footer.

Do I need to use glass ? Will acrylic do ?

My idea: :idea:

WAs thinking of doing something like the CPRUSA refugium, but instead of hangon, want to do the same height as the tank so to make the total lenth to 2.5ft and use a longer light tube for both the tank and refugium lights needs.

Erm... would a 6"X12"X18" (LxWxH) work for a refugium? I'm putting the main tank and the refugium side by side

ermm.... pls advise any thing i should take note ? Have not work out any schematic yet.

:thanks:

Gosh! The nightmare of reefers....Yazid, I'm sorry for what you have been through. Your experience just convinced me to increase my budget for a planned 5-ft tank so that I dun have to hold my balls when I go to bed. Geez, I just can't imagine my wife's reaction should something like this happen. Probably got to seek refuge with my parents for a few weeks.

Gosh! The nightmare of reefers....Yazid, I'm sorry for what you have been through. I hope everything is in order by now. Your experience just convinced me to increase my budget for a planned 5-ft tank so that I dun have to hold my balls when I go to bed. Geez, I just can't imagine my wife's reaction should something like this happen. Probably got to seek refuge with my parents for a few weeks.

Ong, u r right. Really 'Tua Ki liao" (hokkien) if it happens to me. The women in my family are not be trifled with. And of course, the money to be spent to get things up and running again can be a major concern. And lastly, I will not have the time to clean up the house except during the school holidays. Arh...choi...choi...choi....touch wood...Amitabha...God bless me....

• SRC Member
Sorry to hear about that yazid.

Hope all is fine now.

I'm also planning to get a sump for my 2ft.

Do i need to go for 8mm ?

Or would 6mm be sufficient for 2 footer ?

Guessed including a valve in the pipe from the overflow would be a good investment.

At least you could stop the flow from main tank instead of seeing the water keep flowing down till its below the overflow's teeth when needs be.

My refugium is a 2ft x 2ft using 6mm glass all around.

I think the 6mm could not take the weight of 40kg DSB + saltwater and the macro algae...

For Refugium with DSB it is advisable to get thicker base for the extra weight (probably 10mm base).

I got a "by pass" piping that can bypass the overflow water straight to the sump.

• SRC Member
Reading so much on refugium. Was thinking of designing on for my 2 footer.

Do I need to use glass ? Will acrylic do ?

My idea: :idea:

WAs thinking of doing something like the CPRUSA refugium, but instead of hangon, want to do the same height as the tank so to make the total lenth to 2.5ft and use a longer light tube for both the tank and refugium lights needs.

Erm... would a 6"X12"X18" (LxWxH) work for a refugium? I'm putting the main tank and the refugium side by side

ermm.... pls advise any thing i should take note ? Have not work out any schematic yet.

:thanks:

Plastic container like the one I am using now will also do...

This is a suggestion from my Wife for a temporary sump.

• SRC Member
6mm is actually enuff for a 2ft sump tank. I have a 2 1/2 ft sump tank... Yazid, hope everything is fine. Did it break thru or leaking by the place U glued??

The glass crack diagonally across the glass base.

• SRC Member
Gosh! The nightmare of reefers....Yazid, I'm sorry for what you have been through. I hope everything is in order by now. Your experience just convinced me to increase my budget for a planned 5-ft tank so that I dun have to hold my balls when I go to bed. Geez, I just can't imagine my wife's reaction should something like this happen. Probably got to seek refuge with my parents for a few weeks.

Luckily for me, I have a wonderful and understanding wife. I was on my way to the office when she continously page me. She said the study room flooded but she could not see any leak from the glass or any overflow. I never thought that the glass would crack at the base. I ask her to shut off the power for the pump and see if it still leaks (thinking probably the piping broke loose). After everything is off, she said water still rush out.

I arrive home to find my wife busy with pail and mop and rescuing the macro algae (put it nicely at the LR pond). I took half day leave to discover the crack after removing the DSB.

While trying to remove the glued Durso pipe link to my sump, I crack the sump.

It took me 2 hours to clean and clear everything including getting the Town Council to throw the 2 tanks for me.

This is my temporary sump.

post-7-1046597176.jpg

• SRC Member
yazid,

I understand that you bought the glass precut for self-assembly and I think the glass material is of the wrong type for aquarium use.

Glass for aquarium use?

The shop I bought the glass supply glass to LFS and contractors who made custom made private and public tanks.

The glass cutter knows that I am DIY my custom made tank and advise the 6mm.

Yazid, from my experience on 2 similar incident, I would recommend that you place a piece of THICKwhite foam or THICK soft black rubber mat under your sump. The uneven weight distribution cause the crack- > it still happen even with 8mm glass, unless you going for 15mm!-> greater tolerance but burnt $$$$$$$. From your glass crack point, I'm 100% sure that's the main problem.

If you do not believe, borrow a construction type balancing ruler and place it flat on your cabinet base, you will notice not it is not competely flat. I collect my house recently and I realised that the damn floor of the HDB is not completely flat. Talk about quality of HDB...damn.

Regards,

Pet :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Yazid, sorry to hear that u have such disaster. U are 1 lucky man to have such understanding & helpful wife. Plastic container is a good idea. Infact, I am considering using those tat are sold in NTUC....those real big (2-2.5ft) for putting dirty laundry. Will it hold??? Am actually planning using my 2nd hand 2ft glass tank for refugium but not sure it will hold...sigh. What's the size of yr plastic container?

Sharky, sama sama here leh. At least u can seek refuge at parent's place. My mom is staying with me. My wife have the safari bed standby at the balcony for me......just kidding :P:P

• SRC Member

touch wood for me!!i've just completed my diy main tank!!! 2050mmL X 750mmW X 850mmH , all panels 12mm thick, euro bracing 15mm thick and 10cm broad, silicone with DC 795 B) !! hopefully we don't end up in the same predicament!! :huh: wish me luck yazid.. :pinch:

• SRC Member
Glass for aquarium use?

The shop I bought the glass supply glass to LFS and contractors who made custom made private and public tanks.

The glass cutter knows that I am DIY my custom made tank and advise the 6mm.

:paiseh:

Anyway, I hope the next one will last you a very long time...all the stuff in your previous refugium - are they okay?

Yazid, from my experience on 2 similar incident, I would recommend that you place a piece of THICKwhite foam or THICK soft black rubber mat under your sump. The uneven weight distribution cause the crack- > it still happen even with 8mm glass, unless you going for 15mm!-> greater tolerance but burnt $$$$$$$. From your glass crack point, I'm 100% sure that's the main problem.

If you do not believe, borrow a construction type balancing ruler and place it flat on your cabinet base, you will notice not it is not competely flat. I collect my house recently and I realised that the damn floor of the HDB is not completely flat. Talk about quality of HDB...damn.

Regards,

Pet :eyebrow:

There is a reason why the floor isn't flat... totally without sloping... it's for practical purposes... all the floors in the house are meant to drain into one or two drainholes in the kitchen.

Imagine if the floors were totally flat.... and a flood occurs... hee hee!

• SRC Member

:paiseh:

Anyway, I hope the next one will last you a very long time...all the stuff in your previous refugium - are they okay?

The macro algae are in my small saltwater pond and some in the main tank.

Most will be goners as the Tangs loves them....

That's why it is important to put them in the refugium...

• SRC Member
touch wood for me!!i've just completed my diy main tank!!! 2050mmL X 750mmW X 850mmH , all panels 12mm thick, euro bracing 15mm thick and 10cm broad, silicone with DC 795 B) !! hopefully we don't end up in the same predicament!! :huh: wish me luck yazid.. :pinch:

Your 7 footer must be awesome. Alvy, start a thread to show your progress w/photos.

Keep us updated...