Many reason. Let me try to list down.

1) Heat from MH

2) Not intending to get chiller. No space and high investment. :P

3) Shallow tank, <1.5ft

4) Already have 3 tubes running

5) Can play with differnet combination of specturm

6) No space to hang MH and tank may not be able to support it. :pinch:

Cheers

IMO, getting > 3 T5 tubes with 100+ watts generate as equal heat as MH assuming same wattage.

Hi

I hope you don't mind if I interrupt you.?

I'm thinking of getting 3 T5 ATI for my 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 tank without chiller. If the heat is as hot as MH, as you say, would you advise that I'm better to consider using just 2 T5s...?

If this is a silly question, no need to reply.

Thanks.

• SRC Member

I'm using 2 set of 3ft 39w ATI for my 3ft tank. the temp is about 28 deg with a fan blowing across the water surface. Kept few maxima clams and placed it near the light source. They are looking great.....

So ATI T5 light is a minimum requirement for keeping a clam.

• SRC Member

lightningstrike n jc85 u wait ati so long huh??? mayb u got to check w edmund aganin...i ordered mine 2wks ago n few days after got already......any mine using 2 t5 39w n 2 pl 36w n temp maintain arn 27-27.5 w fan only..... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Hey check with you guys how do you maintain your salinity at 1.024 with fan??? My is touching 1.027 even after adding 6 lit of dechlorinated water. Please share.

must c la how freq is ur top up or how fast ur evaporate rate....mine i used a markin at tank at desired salinity....so can roughly c how fast the evo rate n how much to top up.....

• SRC Member

Hi

I hope you don't mind if I interrupt you.?

I'm thinking of getting 3 T5 ATI for my 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 tank without chiller. If the heat is as hot as MH, as you say, would you advise that I'm better to consider using just 2 T5s...?

If this is a silly question, no need to reply.

Thanks.

If you decide to go with T5s, I recommend going with 3 rather than just 2. For a tank your size, 2 would be the bare minimum. For ideal light coverage, you may even want to consider 4. I've got 5x T5s over my 2'x1.5'x1.5'.

Also, while 3 T5s with the same wattage as an MH may generate the same amount of heat in total, the MH tends to radiate a lot more heat.

Short of getting a chiller, use a fan to move the air around the lights, T5 or MH. Personally, I occasionally use a fan to supplement the chiller... so it doesn't have to work as hard.

• SRC Member
I'm using 2 set of 3ft 39w ATI for my 3ft tank. the temp is about 28 deg with a fan blowing across the water surface. Kept few maxima clams and placed it near the light source. They are looking great.....

So ATI T5 light is a minimum requirement for keeping a clam.

I have been using 3 Tube of T5 and 3 PC fans blowing on my 3.5ft tank. Been able to keep temp ard 26degree, max 27degree.

Cheers

• SRC Member
lightningstrike n jc85 u wait ati so long huh??? mayb u got to check w edmund aganin...i ordered mine 2wks ago n few days after got already......any mine using 2 t5 39w n 2 pl 36w n temp maintain arn 27-27.5 w fan only..... :rolleyes:

Hmm. Did u get teh dimmable type? According to Edmund last time, he still has stock for the dimmable type.

• SRC Member

Hi frens, I am thinking of getting the 3-tube ATI T5 lights. However I noticed that it comes with brackets, which will not really fit the hood of my tank. Does anyone have any idea if the brackets can be removed?

Another question - how far away from the water surface can the T5 lights be placed before it becomes ineffective? Thanks ..

• SRC Member
Hi frens, I am thinking of getting the 3-tube ATI T5 lights. However I noticed that it comes with brackets, which will not really fit the hood of my tank. Does anyone have any idea if the brackets can be removed?

Another question - how far away from the water surface can the T5 lights be placed before it becomes ineffective? Thanks ..

hi mako i'm using the ATI 3ft powerlux myself and from wat i see the brackets are only screwed on and i presumme they can be removed but something need to be used as an alternative othewise you'll be exposing the ballast and wiring.. hope this helps

as for the distance from the water surface and the lights i've no ideal but for my tank i'm placing it 5" away from the surface though the evaporation rate is alittle high <_<

• SRC Member

HI,

I got a 3x1.5(w)x2(h) tank...and already order osram eballast that drive 2 tube.

Just want to find out what type of ATI tube should I get... I refer to Sunpro, blue or blue special??(thinking to get 1 sunpro and 1 blue)

I not going for SPS and clam.... Can any1 advise?

:thanks:

:bow:

• Sponsor
HI,

I got a 3x1.5(w)x2(h) tank...and already order osram eballast that drive 2 tube.

Just want to find out what type of ATI tube should I get... I refer to Sunpro, blue or blue special??(thinking to get 1 sunpro and 1 blue)

I not going for SPS and clam.... Can any1 advise?

:thanks:

:bow:

See this thread for info that might help you out. ;)