Is a Calcium Reactor + CO2 tank needed to keep SPS?

Hi everyone!

My setup is currently as follows:

8 x 54w T5 lighting ( 6 white, 2 blue)

Resun CL650 Chiller

Skimmer (dunno what model but supposedly equivalent to Reef Octopus) :)

FR 150

4x2x2.5 Ft tank with 3 ft sump

80kg of live rock

My Live stock is as follows:

1 yellow tang

1 blue tang

1 PBT

1 fire goby

1 rainbow wrasse

3 dispar anthias

3 green chromis

2 skunk shrimp

8 blue legged hermits

4 croceas clam

1 hammer coral

1 goniopora coral

1 jewel stone coral

1 plate coral

3 mushrooms

2 zoos

1 coco worm

3 tube worms

Coz dunno need to get the Calcium reactor. Hoping to try out SPS someday... :)

Also is a controller needed for the Calcium reactor + CO2 tank?

Hi everyone!

My setup is currently as follows:

8 x 54w T5 lighting ( 6 white, 2 blue)

Resun CL650 Chiller

Skimmer (dunno what model but supposedly equivalent to Reef Octopus) :)

FR 150

4x2x2.5 Ft tank with 3 ft sump

80kg of live rock

My Live stock is as follows:

1 yellow tang

1 blue tang

1 PBT

1 fire goby

1 rainbow wrasse

3 dispar anthias

3 green chromis

2 skunk shrimp

8 blue legged hermits

4 croceas clam

1 hammer coral

1 goniopora coral

1 jewel stone coral

1 plate coral

3 mushrooms

2 zoos

1 coco worm

3 tube worms

Coz dunno need to get the Calcium reactor. Hoping to try out SPS someday... :)

Also is a controller needed for the Calcium reactor + CO2 tank?

for CR it is a good equipment to have but before that unless u have a lot of sps there is no need to get it .

IMO, so long u dose to maintain your pH , dKH , CA ,Mg and other trace elements properly , u might not need it .

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

CR is not neccessary the domain of SPS keeper. As long as there is a carbonate and calcium requirements in your tank, CR is a good equipment to have to keep these parameters stable. Some of the owners of LPS tanks has been using CR for years to cut down on the need to having to keep dosing thier tank....

from what i am see in your list of LS, its hard to tell your requirements, your 4 clams might be gowing fast and sucking in calcium or you might have giant LPS in your tank....:D :D .....a better gauge is to really monitor your tank's consumption and see how much you are dosing on a daily or weekly to determine if you ever need a CR.....there are reefers i know who dose every morning and evening and still don't want to get a CR.....for me its the dosing once every 2 days that makes me decided to get a CR......view CR more as a 'semi-automated' tool to keep your water parameter stable and with less work rather then a must have....

CR is not neccessary the domain of SPS keeper. As long as there is a carbonate and calcium requirements in your tank, CR is a good equipment to have to keep these parameters stable. Some of the owners of LPS tanks has been using CR for years to cut down on the need to having to keep dosing thier tank....

from what i am see in your list of LS, its hard to tell your requirements, your 4 clams might be gowing fast and sucking in calcium or you might have giant LPS in your tank....:D :D .....a better gauge is to really monitor your tank's consumption and see how much you are dosing on a daily or weekly to determine if you ever need a CR.....there are reefers i know who dose every morning and evening and still don't want to get a CR.....for me its the dosing once every 2 days that makes me decided to get a CR......view CR more as a 'semi-automated' tool to keep your water parameter stable and with less work rather then a must have....

Oic thanks!

But do I need a CO2 tank too?

• SRC Member
yes....you willl need CO2 to lower the PH within the CR...the lowered PH will in turn slowly 'melt' the media thus releasing carbonate and calcium in your tank

ok..... can i ask one question lowering the ph within the CR by pumping CO2 into the Cr right?

i also know that different media have diff melting point .so that it will give out KH and Ca..... correct me if i m wrong and also how do u actully control the the ph level within the CR?

by using a ph controller? can explain how does it works?

ok..... can i ask one question lowering the ph within the CR by pumping CO2 into the Cr right?

i also know that different media have diff melting point .so that it will give out KH and Ca..... correct me if i m wrong and also how do u actully control the the ph level within the CR?

by using a ph controller? can explain how does it works?

pH meter is too detect the pH on the calcium reactor chamber to open CO2 solenoid on or off. If pH too low it may meltdown the media vice versa pH too high the media will not melt and passing water will have the same Ca and kH.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• SRC Member

totally agreed. CR is not the domain of SPS reefers. I do noe of ppl who keep just LPS but using a CR. Whoever say otherwise, well.... giving false impression and info.

In fact, having a CR does, in a way, help u to reduce cost in the long run compared to dosing additives. Also, if ur tank is big, then u find that getting a CR is more economical.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

To a certain extent where the tank cant't keep up with the calcium and alkalinity demand, CR is the bst way to go.

save your hassle and troubles =) .

Not a must but a bonus to have

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
pH meter is too detect the pH on the calcium reactor chamber to open CO2 solenoid on or off. If pH too low it may meltdown the media vice versa pH too high the media will not melt and passing water will have the same Ca and kH.

I suppose you are talking abt pH controller :)

i have been very hard working to save up the need of the CR with dosing at every night Seachem reef builder and Seachem magnesium and with the dosing of Seachem calcium and seachem strontium just before i leave for work

so much cheaper!

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• SRC Member

CR Pros > - One less thing to dose = more time to meddle with other things lol

- Cheaper in the long run for tank setups which struggle to maintain calcium levels.

- Look like pro like that ma cabinet got extra device lol

Cons > - Co2 bottle have to top up once a while

- Extra electricity consumption from then CR pump, Co2 solenoid valve & PH controller unit

- Need to refill calcium media in CR every few mths

- Takes up space in cabinet or beside tank

- Extra heat generated meaning chiller will work harder = more electricity consumption too

I not professional lah but i do my homework on most equipment for reefing so just giving humble opinion.

CR Pros > - One less thing to dose = more time to meddle with other things lol

- Cheaper in the long run for tank setups which struggle to maintain calcium levels.

- Look like pro like that ma cabinet got extra device lol

Cons > - Co2 bottle have to top up once a while

- Extra electricity consumption from then CR pump, Co2 solenoid valve & PH controller unit

- Need to refill calcium media in CR every few mths

- Takes up space in cabinet or beside tank

- Extra heat generated meaning chiller will work harder = more electricity consumption too

I not professional lah but i do my homework on most equipment for reefing so just giving humble opinion.

it is a great gadget to have but not a must :whistle

Humble tank :

Equipment :

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
To a certain extent where the tank cant't keep up with the calcium and alkalinity demand, CR is the bst way to go.

save your hassle and troubles =) .

Not a must but a bonus to have

Does this means that if I am using a CR I do not need to bother with dosing the tank with alkalinity buffer?