A new beginning

wilsontantw

Super nice zoas and SPS, the last SPS with red poly is :bow:

The last SPS is... NEW. Quite power. Time for exchange program again. Hehe.

your milli not receiving enough light....some parts below botak liao...haha...time to invest in some serious LED power

Yah. The Millie is new. Quite stressed when u got them. Luckily now got polyp extension. As u pointed out, I've given them good exposure just 4-5" away from the powermodule.

It's the flow that I'm concerned. Holding tank got not enough movement. Think may need to get a mp20 or mp40 to supplement the 6025 and nano wavebox.

Mengyang helped me with some led. But for moonlight purposes only. Haha. You using led now? How ah? Know how to diy some power ones to try? I still have not experiment SPS with led.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

Yah. The Millie is new. Quite stressed when u got them. Luckily now got polyp extension. As u pointed out, I've given them good exposure just 4-5" away from the powermodule.

It's the flow that I'm concerned. Holding tank got not enough movement. Think may need to get a mp20 or mp40 to supplement the 6025 and nano wavebox.

Mengyang helped me with some led. But for moonlight purposes only. Haha. You using led now? How ah? Know how to diy some power ones to try? I still have not experiment SPS with led.

still proscastinating...lol...

l7304smr.jpg

Haha sure, I also have a few new frag waiting for it to be stable then can exchange liao. =) :friends:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

some more pix, taken on 01/01/11...

pocci - my new luuuuuuuurve!

You've seen the blue ones... now here are the rest...

post-13920-0-81575500-1294243014_thumb.j

post-13920-0-09417800-1294243060_thumb.j

post-13920-0-74810800-1294243044_thumb.j

post-13920-0-36617300-1294243028_thumb.j

BOP - started off as 2 frags of 1cm each. From about 3 months back.

post-13920-0-38227100-1294243301_thumb.j

now a decent size mini colony.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

this tank was set up to satisfy my buying craze... about 10 weeks in operation already.

Connected to the main tank, reducing the need to buy extra equipment. Only new item bought is the ATI powermodule.

post-13920-0-04470700-1294244083_thumb.j

post-13920-0-48489600-1294244098_thumb.j

Special Mention:

Thanks to Cedric for his many advice + hands-on practical lesson to help me set this baby up with all the DIY materials and time!

Raydiative (and i wonder where is he now) for helping me lug the few jerry cans of water!

Eniram: thanks bro for the absolutely lovely LR!

Milch Tan: for sponsoring me the tank! Thanks bro! It's in good hands now... though i did some minor modification to the overflow...

And of coz my family (in case wifey is reading) - for their support!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Wow the tonga leather when the poly is fully extended is so nice. Good pick. :welldone:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Initially I felt heart pain for the price I paid (it's almost 10x the price of a normal leather), plus not sure how easy/hard this specimen is to keep.

It didn't do well when initially placed in holding tank (possibly becos no sandbed), since moving to main tank, it's been relatively happy, polyps are showing everyday.

The yellow is quite unmatched in the tank.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Initially I felt heart pain for the price I paid (it's almost 10x the price of a normal leather), plus not sure how easy/hard this specimen is to keep.

It didn't do well when initially placed in holding tank (possibly becos no sandbed), since moving to main tank, it's been relatively happy, polyps are showing everyday.

The yellow is quite unmatched in the tank.

Tongkat leather is supposed to be relative cheap...the cost is due to freight charges...most of these end up in US...

Ray may be decomming soon or decommed olredi...i think he has not been taking care of his tank due to new job...

Your new tank looks good, but need to bring down your nutrients...can see algae growing left right and back of the glass walls....

l7304smr.jpg

Siang you are right. Im battling algae problem. Holding tank is somewhat "not so bad".. Main tank got a lot of green film algae. Major headache.

Haven't been changing water weekly and ran out of rowa already.

Only the main rock structure is fixed. The bottom I'm planning something. Will take awhile to complete.

Plus will have a new addition to family soon.. Hopefully the tank will hold up.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Siang you are right. Im battling algae problem. Holding tank is somewhat "not so bad".. Main tank got a lot of green film algae. Major headache.

Haven't been changing water weekly and ran out of rowa already.

Only the main rock structure is fixed. The bottom I'm planning something. Will take awhile to complete.

Plus will have a new addition to family soon.. Hopefully the tank will hold up.

rowa has a new product called rowa crystal...liquid GFO...u may want to try this...got one bottle from reborn yesterday...$35 for 500ml...100ml for each 200litres, once every 2 weeks.

l7304smr.jpg

Nice shots of your tank and corals, you have a blue pocci???? Time to get a frag from you!

Don't thank me for the rock bro, thank the creator who made this rock and thank the poor fishermen that had to pick this rock from shark infested water. I just happened to be there and ask mama if its on sale.

Yellow leather corals from tonga are expensive but they don't come in very often. One of my softies melted on me don't know why but i suspect it could be stung by my hammer. Regret getting this hammer!!!

Loving the softies and sps from tonga. Hope our lfs bring them in more often.

Somehow i notice that the film of green algae growth is some what common, Ah Lee's tank has some and corals are doing very well. CA has some but different algae growth also good healthy corals. Jack also has some but also different totally rare algae, corals are all tops. So i think its part and parcel of the marine cycle therefore i am also letting algae grow but somewhere else.

Don't flame me i'm just using some common observation.

• Senior Reefer

jeremy,

people always think that algae = bad.

this is not always the case. yes some are bad such as hair algae and bryopsis. they can get very prevalent and usually an eyesore.

but some growth of algae is always reccomended around the tank and on rocks. green film, small turfs of algae are all ok so long as they don't grow out of control and smother other things.

with correct nutrient levels, these algae can grow hand in hand and not overwhelm everything.

algae is good. it's food for the critters in the rocks, pods, fish, and also create a very natural look to the tank. it improves O2 saturation and remove CO2 build up, it provide homes for pods as well. tangs and dwarf angels rely heavily on these algae in the wild and having such algae growth can even do away with the need of feeding them prepared foods in our tanks.

all purple and brown and no green will look far too weird and very funny. in fact, solid purple coraline encrusted rocks are unatural. it's because of the high and consistant levels of calcium and other elements in our water for our SPS, that's why the coraline over grow.

in the sea, coraline don't cover everything. the rocks are laden with green algae, corals, sponges, foraminiferans, and a whole bunch of other things. it's a living breathing structure with a million things on it. in our tanks, only coraline.

Yup totally agree with you on algae growth YK, i noticed in most well balanced tank, algae growth are in small manageable size. From the experience i learnt from my first tank i say some algae growth is needed for a well balanced tank.

• Senior Reefer

Yup totally agree with you on algae growth YK, i noticed in most well balanced tank, algae growth are in small manageable size. From the experience i learnt from my first tank i say some algae growth is needed for a well balanced tank.

yap.

a tank without at least some algae is not a healthy tank.

angels especially dwarf angels relish nipping at algae inbetween meals. it's very good for them.