A new beginning

wilsontantw

Veryyy nice shots bro !!! The sps seem so healthy and happy and colourful :welldone:

The blue digi has seems to colour up significantly :shock:

trigger happy last night lah, tried to take stock of what i have... always good to retain some memories.

:) yes bro, u are right, the blue digi has coloured up quite a bit... These are some frags that i accidently broke during shifting of the main piece.

agreed.

you've come a long long way and so beautiful and advanced now.

good job.

still learning how to maintain a SPS tank really. everyday is a new challenge... has your sps stabilised after the recent episode?

WOW! hope to see the bird nest soon. Will pass you the whole colony of BOP to you either tonight or friday. Fingers crossed

I took a pic of the birdnest (though not very good shot, will share shortly) Looking forward to help you take care of the BOP (i'll surely frag one small part as caretaker's gift). hahaha... :friends:

very nice gems.. thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words... looking forward to see your tank in person actually.

:thumbsup: wow.. n WOW

Thanks Allan... glad u like it.

The 3rd Pocci is gorgeous. All your sps doing very well. Fantastic job. :welldone:

Still trying really... one day, i hope my monti will grow into something like yours! btw, the so-called 3rd pocci, i think should be a pink stylo instead... learning names/genus of SPS takes some time.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• Senior Reefer

only my millie is giving me problems. and is still giving me problem. i've done all i can and the water parameters are perfect. nothing i can do so the problem lies with the coral itself. probably stressed and unhealthy to begin with and i probably did something it did not like and it just went downhill from there.

rest of the SPS are very healthy.

Some more pix for tonight...

I'm pretty sure these are all birdnest... but i surely dunno scientific names.

Yellow BN (with purple polyps)

post-13920-002608100 1290094735_thumb.jp

Radioactive BN (my first SPS! Thanks Cedric for pulling me into the 'dark' side of reefing)

post-13920-061774200 1290094932_thumb.jp

Pink BN with blue polyps (pointed tip)

post-13920-012252900 1290094756_thumb.jp

Dark Pink/Purple BN (round tip)

post-13920-080933500 1290094775_thumb.jp

BOP??

post-13920-076858200 1290094787_thumb.jp

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Somemore dunno what...

bi-color dunno what - WS shipment... almost impossible to keep the original colouration

post-13920-058124900 1290095130_thumb.jp

tenuis?

post-13920-086324200 1290095188_thumb.jp

another type of tenuis?

post-13920-084828400 1290095230_thumb.jp

blue humilis? - also WS, the blue is not so obvious now, but slowly coming back after changing to new tubes.

post-13920-069474500 1290095302_thumb.jp

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Some Millies to end the night...

1st SPS colony - Ultra Lime Green Millie - super long tentacles (my favourite piece!)

post-13920-073960100 1290095515_thumb.jp

Sunset Millie (i think so) - needs more light

post-13920-036568500 1290095542_thumb.jp

I think this is a prostrata - Jade green body with blue polyps (i think this is pretty hard to come by)

post-13920-021346200 1290095623_thumb.jp

pink millie

post-13920-033758500 1290095674_thumb.jp

That's all for today folks... time to hit the sack... good night Singapore...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

only my millie is giving me problems. and is still giving me problem. i've done all i can and the water parameters are perfect. nothing i can do so the problem lies with the coral itself. probably stressed and unhealthy to begin with and i probably did something it did not like and it just went downhill from there.

yah, i guess like some experts said, it could be the coral itself... do try to frag out the tips, sometimes the tips can grow out... i recently had a SPS STN, but before it died, i fragged out the tip, and it's still surviving.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

very nice range of sps bro, i noticed some of the small colonies got algae growing on the tip, try to snip it off and let the tip grow back.

wah.. ur eyes very sharp! yes, there're a few (purple BN and yellow polyp valida) has such the problem u just mentioned. They are as a result of 'coral war'...

Too lazy to snip of the dead ends, some have algae... but so far ok lah. It has not spread, so i just leave it. Some are recovering and new growth are growing over the 'burnt'+algae tips already..

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

should there be any shifts, i will feel millis are the best and most hardy to withstand these, probably a bad bunch taken off the shelves.

full wave and light for them and it seems they will have maximum PE even if you shift them elsewhere later once they acclimatized.

Somemore dunno what...

bi-color dunno what - WS shipment... almost impossible to keep the original colouration

post-13920-058124900 1290095130_thumb.jp

hey bro when is your clinic's opening ceremony?

if its WS shipment and colours are an issue. These 2 guys will settle it for you.

post-17012-036451400 1290125590_thumb.jp post-17012-052386000 1290125615_thumb.jp

Do note marvel has not released phosphate man. This one come out chialat.. one man clear table.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

You! Wah. Thought u disappeared Liao.

Sadly no FTS yet. Cos main tank has 2 frag racks. Can't get a decent shot.

Planning a minor re-scape in late December to add more rock space.

Should be able to get rid of the racks then.

:)

So when can we tiger time at the "clinic"???

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

New fish - An acanthurus glaucopareius (hehe: lemon, do i sound like a biology geek?? oh well, googling does help)

Saw this piece during last week's shipment, but did not dare to try it, as it just arrived.

But 1 week on, i revisited the LFS, and it's still there, so decided to take the dive today! Bagged it home, acclimitised for half a day... and into the tank it goes...

As it's a powder series, i'm really keeping my fingers crossed. My 2nd attempt at keeping a powder tang. First was a powder brown, which outgrown the tank and had to be sold off. (Sad)..

Hope this new fish likes the living condition in the small 2'x2'x16" holding tank. Besides it has to share with an existing albeit smaller Purple Tang.

Stare??? Don't lah, it can get you killed.

post-13920-020271300 1290354906_thumb.jp

Showing off the left side

post-13920-075342400 1290354942_thumb.jp

And now the right

post-13920-057276400 1290354967_thumb.jp

The "back" side is censored as this is a family-friendly site

(_|_)

Just for the record:

Powder Black Tang (some call it gold rim tang) - acanthurus glaucopareius

Bought: 21 November 2010

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer

ahh nice nice.

A. glaucopareius is the old name for this fish. It has now been renamed Acanthurus nigricans. However, A. glaucopareius is still a synonymous name and is still valid. so up to you to use both names.

i like. hehe.

powder black/gold rim is a beautiful fish. fatten it up and give it time it will turn out to be a stunning jet black addition.

You are GOOD! indeed, that is the old name... i got a little confused by the new name (when i do a search, it popped out powder brown or blue).

Anyway, powder black/gold rim seems 'cooler'.

I'm not sure if i can 'fatten' it up, but it sure is cleaning up my 'coraline' algae. just minutes after introducing into the tank, it grazed off some coraline algae from the glass already. For now, i'm just hoping it doesn't have a 'break-out'.

Threw some pellets, hoping it can 'follow' the Purple Tang, but it didn't. Thus i guess it'll take awhile.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

opps... forgot to add that i bought this partly becoz i cant bear to spend that much money to buy an achilles or long-nose black tang.

this could be a substitute (and boy it's only a small tiny fraction of the price).

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• Senior Reefer

haha i'm not good lah, just know a thing or two.

i'm having a PM conversation with digiman and terryz now regarding a group of very similar fairy wrasses called the "rubriventralis complex" and it's really mind boggling. too similarly related and many undescribed species. even my wrasse guru Dr. hiroyuki tanaka also don't know.

yes many fish have old and new scientific names that are either still universally accepted or unaccepted.

enjoy your AT substitute! and hope it grows into a gallant black knight!