Where can I buy muriatic acid?

Achilles Tang

My heavy kalk dosing is causing calcium build up on my sump walls and in my PVC piping. Won't be surprised if my Iwaki pump is also affected. Perhaps my chiller cooling coils too.

Wanna washout my system with stronger acid such as muriatic acid. Too long and ineffective using white vinegar.

Anyone knows where to get muriatic acid and how much does it cost? :erm:

You just told everyone! :D

Hmmm... guess I have to dilute the HCL in water to dilute it then. Whatever you can spare. Please give me a container that is safe enough to store it.

I need to buy rubber gloves and goggles then... dangerous stuff!!

Let's see... mix this with bleach and what do you get..... muhahahaha!! :D

The concentrated ones are abt 37% max. Other than the gloves and goggles you need to be careful of the fumes as well. We usually handle it in the gas chamber.

I guesss 100ml should be sufficient for your usage. Or you want to try nitric acid? This one I don't have it here.

Muriatic should be around 30% right? :huh:

Or is it around 20%?

Just something more acidic than vinegar at 4%! LOL!

I will take ages to dissolve the coralline algae patches in my skimmer and the calcium buildup in my pipings/pump.

I am afraid my office don't have so much stock to buy. End up later all get caught lol.

I think seachem uses the bleeching solution right?

Muriatic acid is another number for HCL and does not refer to any conc. Max conc you can get is 37%, this is very strong and gives out a lot of pumes and of course if you breath in then you can imagine what will happen to your lungs :)

Like i said, Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric acid, its the old name for it and does not refer to any specific dilution.

Do not add water to the concentrated acid to dilute it, add acid to the water.

Do a search on Google, you can find a Material saftey data sheet, just to be informed with what you are dealing with.

• SRC Member

I've seen muriatic acid for sale in some of the DIY stores before. Not sure if still available now - check in the paint section and the floor cleaner sections. There are also some floor and tile cleaners that are basically HCL based - look at the ingredient list - and they do clean off cement well.

If not, 0.1N HCL is available from Sino Chemicals in Jurong. Think you can just go in and buy a bottle - I did! ;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......