Koralia 1 making noise

tiffanydunk

• SRC Member

Hahah...mine just started making the same noise last night. Do you have it on a wavemaker alternating cycle? Mine is on one, and I suspect that's the cause as they are not meant to be used as wavemakers.

• SRC Member

my koralia nano used to have this noise when i just started using it for one week, but after some time (1wk +), it seemed to have 'seasoned' and is very quiet now..

is ur set new?

• SRC Member

mine is bought from other reefer, i believe he used it for quite sometime as algae already growing on it. I have no other wavemakers in my tank. Only my return pump which is 1300l/hr. I also observe tat the koralia is sucking water from the top surface too. Now it has no noise, but will come back in like say after 5hrs each day.

pico pico pico.

• SRC Member
MbMc, wad u mean they are not meant to be wavemakers? oh and btw, can the magnetic back piece be place in water?

i think what bro Mbmc meant was koralia wavemakers are not the cotnrollable type, can't use it with alternating cycle to sorta turn on and off to simulate tidal waves, tunze has those controllable ones..

the koralia has 2 pieces of magnet right.. one is meant to be inside, the other one outside the glass..

• SRC Member
i think what bro Mbmc meant was koralia wavemakers are not the cotnrollable type, can't use it with alternating cycle to sorta turn on and off to simulate tidal waves, tunze has those controllable ones..

the koralia has 2 pieces of magnet right.. one is meant to be inside, the other one outside the glass..

Yup. They are not rated for the constant on-off cycle needed for wavemakers.

Tunzes are. 1 sec also can I think.

But on another point, I don't think wavemakers should be cycled in such short periods. That amount of time would not be enough for the wavemaker to move the water body sufficiently fast enough. Inertia.

• SRC Member
Yup. They are not rated for the constant on-off cycle needed for wavemakers.

Tunzes are. 1 sec also can I think.

But on another point, I don't think wavemakers should be cycled in such short periods. That amount of time would not be enough for the wavemaker to move the water body sufficiently fast enough. Inertia.

good point bro, inertia to build up momentum.. :D anyway i think koralias are good enough not to be controlled because they utilise the gentle wide radial flow, so it's not too stressful on the corals..

• SRC Member

Personally, im using K1...yes 1st time using....sure got sounds...but after running for certain period, the sound goes off...the wave are that direct BUT once you remove the cap...the flow is great manz...esp for my 24gall small tank... overall, i find not a bad piece of wavemaker...of coz to compare with Tunze, thats a big differences! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Mine but not K1 its K nano had just started to make noise and spray bubbles when on... hmm...

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D