Ways to pump out water to sump tank

andez07

Hi all

Isit possible to use a submersible filter or p/head to pump out the water from the main tank to the sump instead of siphon, I-box or other thing?? I read somewhere on the net that it can be used but I can't confirm with the person using it about the pros and cons.... :blink:

So I seek the opinions of u guys and gals about it :paiseh: .

Pls share any ideas or opinions about it, thanx!!

what is with you and your obsession towards OHF! :P you'll know why OHFs are frowned upon on in marine as the salt spray created is...well not terrible. it just goes everywhere. not condeming you or any others using it lah.

but back to the issue. why use a pump to suck water up or down or anyway in the first place when you can rely on gravity, which is free, and works 24/7 even if an earthquake was to cut of your electrical supply. (=

• SRC Member
what is with you and your obsession towards OHF! :P you'll know why OHFs are frowned upon on in marine as the salt spray created is...well not terrible. it just goes everywhere. not condeming you or any others using it lah.

but back to the issue. why use a pump to suck water up or down or anyway in the first place when you can rely on gravity, which is free, and works 24/7 even if an earthquake was to cut of your electrical supply. (=

overhead can be adjusted such that the drop is into the water... so spray will be created.

but if use normal ohf, you wont be able to have what sump can offer.

using gravity is only possible if sump is lower than tank.

in my case, tank is on lower tier of 2 tier stand so how to use i-box or other gravity means? my solution is a 2226 to draw water fr tank into canister for mechanical filtration. outlet goes into a sump. sump has outlet at top to return water back into tank using gravity... this requires sump to be slightly higher than tank, which wasnt a problem for me, thankfully.

• SRC Member

In that case yes you do need a pump in your main tank, and if your top sump tank flows by overflow back into your tank, you'll never need to worry about your sump tank flooding, only about your main tank flooding in the event of pump failure, in which case simply ensure the outflow to your sump tank is located as near the surface of the sump tank water level as possible, so when pump fail only a bit of water gets sucked back into your main tank.

• SRC Member

In any case, only one pump should be use in the circulation between sump and tank. You can never ensure that the sump pump and tank pump move water at the same rate. Over time, the pump which is going faster will drain the tank it is in while flooding the other. Overflow works because the amount of water leaving the tank will always be controlled by what get's pumped in.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif